Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 16 hours.

Ratings page minimum monthly hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Ratings page minimum monthly hours

I'd like to see the ratings page (http://www.abandonedrealms.com/players/index.php?sort=rating) change so that you show up only after playing a certain number of hours in a month. Five hours? Nothing crazy. I just think its silly that someone like Niels, Sen or Malekith show up for 16 minutes per month and take up a spot in the top 10. I'm only using those three as examples based on the current ratings 2 minutes ago - nothing personal against them nor their current playing time abilities.

If anything, this might intise those high ranked but inactive players to come add more time to the active playerbase, which we all know is pitiful right now.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject:

I think a better solution to this has already been discussed, which is rating decay when you don't continue to kill people. It's just not at the top of our list right now since it doesn't affect actual game-play.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I think Iolo's idea is actually a more sound idea. I mean if some legendary player, take dhua for example our current number one, is gone for a long while. You would still expect great things from her when she returned. You wouldn't expect her to just become less rated. The idea of enforcing a time limit on showing up on simply the pk rating page would be pretty interesting. You KNOW certain people log in just so the name of their char stays on top. Seems to be like that every month continuously...

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject:

My hazy memory does now recall the thread you mention, Olyn.

Maybe a mixture of the two, decay + hours played in a month:

- On day 1 of the new ratings page, whoever played less than X hours the previous month is on 'parole'
- When on parole, you have to play at least 1 hour in a month before you show up on the ratings
- Your ratings decay as long as you're on parole
- The more hours you play in a month while on parole, the slower the decay rate, until eventually you don't decay at all and are no longer on parole.

I dunno, just talkin' outloud. I agree with Nadrin 100% that some people just log their characters in to show up high in the ratings. Seems a bit underhanded.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject:

Bringing this up again. I hate seeing Niels' name in the top 5 instead of someone who actually plays more than an hour a month. Same goes for Azazhog. Hope this is being looked at for a future improvement!

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Not that I feel like it's a big issue about someone being up there at 5 minutes a month, but Olyn said that something was in the works. It just isn't as important as other stuff that needs to be done first.

***Only if something must be done***

Perhaps if a character would be rare purged for not being around they would also get a message/note from the guildmaster saying that they have been stripped of equipment (already losing the eq, so that's a given) and rank (pk rating) to better prepare other capable warriors/mages (other players)

IMO- I feel that if you have a problem with seeing someone login for 5 minutes, try pk'ing more and work your way above them and it won't bother you anymore.

Also (AND I mean no offense)- It sounds like, from what you're saying, that you are doing decent within pk. You're right on the tail of being in the top 5/10 and you're tired of not being in the spotlight (Kinda sounds like whining to me)

Anyway, I hope all of you take the criticism and the idea that i've suggested into consideration before rage-flaming.

Was that like a compliment sandwich? Rolling Eyes Shocked

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject:

This is something I've been petitioning for and think we definitely need ratings decay however it really isn't what I'd consider a priority. I'd rather see other things first, especially since you can just farm kills and bump people off without even fighting any of them.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject:

I guess it does sound like I'm bitching/whining. However I wouldn't be in the top 10 pkers if there were nine total players in the game, so I'm not bitching on my behalf Smile More like on behalf of the folks who deserve to be showing up on the list, namely those who put in decent hours and are actually involved in the game.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Top 5 Pkers on forum now checks activity. This doesn't apply to the player page yet, but it might later, pending functionality and feedback.

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Now the number twelve rated person is number five. Wow.. And she's level 40. LOL

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject:

I saw that, but look at the minutes played by the rest of the high rated people right now. It's as it should be.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Awesome, simply awesome, thanks a tonne Olyn!

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. Just I find it funny. Either way. It's better like this. People with five minutes don't count. How do they even have five minutes? Isn't there it a ten minute wait to quit out after logging on? Or is it only five? But I've seen even less then five.. how's that work even?

0 0 0
Krakknot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject:

probably someone already logged in during the cut-off for the month. then quit out a minute or two after.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Its about 5 minutes before you can quit out. IIRC linkdead minutes don't count, so someone could log on, then drop link and have less than five minutes.

0 0 0
Niusan
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject:

I like it. I think this is a well deserved change.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject:

The ratings page now uses the same formula to check activity that the forum top 5 has for the last few weeks.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: