Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 5 hours.

Getting used to no detect invis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Getting used to no detect invis

I've been playing characters with detect invisibilty almost exclusively for a couple of years now. I'm starting a new character and have chosen to branch out to one that doesn't get this spell. I've tried this before but never go too far. I'm so used to having dinv up at all times and never getting hijacked out of nowhere by an invisible baddie. So with my new guy, do I just swallow this invisible hijacking when they come, or constantly be drinking clears, or...?

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject:

It's kind of like purple potions/blue potions/gyvel potions/medic scrolls, etc.

ALWAYS KEEP A FEW OF THESE SO THAT WHEN YOU DO GET SURPRISED YOU CAN ESCAPE TO COME BACK.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject:

with such a small pbase chances of you getting hijacked are fairly small. I used to be so paranoid cuz I played back when there was 10 times more people here. And the only people who you have to worry about at low levels are ninjas or dkns and you don't see many around. I am sure you made a warrior or ranger and you can handle a surprise attack either way. If anything make sure you have a recall on you so if you get in a bad spot just quaff no one chases anymore so you should be fine.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject:

keep clears. use them regularly.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject:

In addition to clears, because they're so limited repop-wise, learn the location of other 'detect invis' items (dust, three-eyed root, etc.) that you can pick up in various locations. That way you a) will always have access to *something* for detect invis, and b) won't be caught by the 'c loc clear' trick of someone checking your stash.

0 0 0
Niusan
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I second Vhrael on the dusts. When I play characters with no detect invis, I load up on dusts and clears. I know there are a few other measures for such a spell, but it's just my personal preference. I definetly always recommend having atleast two gyvels in your inventory and maybe three or more in your bag too. Best of luck with the non dinv class!

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject:

It only takes like 15 minutes tops to get like 10 dusts. And they don't rot very quick. So lasts awhile. Atleast for me. I honestly don't keep dinv up very often. Unless I'm feeling particularly paranoid. I normally just out of habit try not to sleep anywhere to open. Atleast not for a prolonged period of time. And so long as I'm awake, how much damage can a surprise attack do anyways? When was the last time someone bazooka'd you in AR? As long as you aren't AFK then you can survive a sneak attack. Unless it's a stupid assassinate. But then it didn't really even matter if you had dinv up anyway.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Two things to add in:

You can do a pretty good loop (especially if you catch the ticks for moves) of dusts, purples, and clears. If you quaff a clear/eat a dust when you first log on, check the who pk list, then do that loop a couple of times, you should be fine. Otherwise, when you have downtime just go ahead and load up on them.

One thing to keep an eye on is making sure you have enough to last you through a lengthy battle. There is little more frustrating than being in the middle of a back and forth fight, and realizing you can't pursue the guy b/c you can't see him anymore. This particularly comes into play when fighting classes that dispel magic--everyone knows to watch for sanc being dispelled, but be wary of having your detect invis dispelled too much and running out of supplies.

0 0 0
Niusan
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Voltron wrote:
And so long as I'm awake, how much damage can a surprise attack do anyways? When was the last time someone bazooka'd you in AR.

Assassinate? Heheh.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject:

A pants-down dirt gank is still a real concern at lvl 50, especially if a vuln weapon is involved.

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Yeah you're probably right Olyn. I'm just so used to playing warriors that I take it for granted. Having good hp, great defenses, and reflex to wait off the dirt makes it alot easier. You sure ain't going to win the fight, but you can live to run away.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject:

how about you get off the forums and induct some people eh?

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Ozaru wrote:

Haha, agreed! Smile Poor Aduron is going to have every skill mastered and 2 billion gold in the bank soon.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject:

When you have downtime just camp the tentacles north of valour. 2 purples + 1 clear every 3 tics = golden.

Protip: If you are out and about, pop by emerald forest for 2 roots. These are perfect for when you suspect somebody might be around or just want to check the who list. Save clears/dusts for fights where you need that detect to stay up for a long time.

0 0 0
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:

Make sure your over like 35 or something if you get roots, because the pumpkin men are aggresive so if your low lvl don't try for roots.. if you didn't know that all ready.

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Groq just saved someones life... How selflessly protective. I never thought I'd see the day.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject:

go knights/justice and you can just buy lvl 40 detect invis that last for a long time - just another perk to cabal life

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject:

iolo wrote:
Ozaru wrote:

Haha, agreed! Smile Poor Aduron is going to have every skill mastered and 2 billion gold in the bank soon.

Is there a mandatory incubation period for Footmen now? Aduron's been a pinnacled footman for like a month and is in the top 5 pkers. Not bitching, just curious.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Some people get their promotion as soon as they get to 50. Others have to wait, even though I've seen them on several times. Is there a reason? Yes. Will I discuss it with anyone but that person? No.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Makes total sense, and again I was just curious. Thanks for clarifying.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: