Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 8 hours.

Weapon Ward
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject:

Morbious wrote:
would it be unrealistic to make a cool down for weapon ward. Like slow has kinda, Lets say weapon ward lasts 4 hours make the cd last 5 or 6, Gives an hour or two windor open for a person to exploit there attacks, and forces the mage or cleric to flee for an hour before resuming? Just a thought

This would be a HUGE gimp on mages. I appreciate the ideas, but you need a little more perspective to suggest this kind of nerf. I tell everyone the same thing: If a race/class/combo/skill/etc is overpowered, play it and destroy everyone with it, then note to immortal about how easy it was because of said race/class/combo/skill/etc.

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject:

Weapon ward is not overpowered, although the mechanic does tend to stifle the depth of combat between melee and magic classes a bit in my opinion (which isn't very important). Melee classes push out a ton of damage, they benefit the most from equipment, and they generally have the most HP. Two of the three mage classes rely on preparatory intervals for their damage, and the third (invokers) do a middling amount of per round damage, which is balanced by sanc, a handfull of usefull shielding spells, and the ability to hit a variety of vulns. Trying to catch a mage or cleric without ward is probably a losing proposition unless they are a noob fire giant shaman.

Ward protects against nerve and caltrops by the way (or at least it used to). As for how a thief would fight weapon ward, I would say the same way they fight anything else, i.e. blackjack, pry, steal, point and laugh. You CAN wait a ward off if your target is blackjacked.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject:

all good points, I think ward lasts a bit longer then a blackjack, but its still possible. I have played mage classes aswell so its not that I havent experienced the other side of weapon ward. I was just a bit surprised on how much it really nullifies. An avian rogue and an avian invoker will have the same health, and the evasion of a thief wont be all too useful but the protective magic for an invoker will aid them greatly. So murder vs hellstream seems rough, but challenging all in the same Wink I probably just need more experience in exploiting what windows exist and get the timing down solid.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject:

Voltron for Imm.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject:

Weapon ward and protective shield are based off of int/wis for Mage/cleric afaik. So no, a fire giant shaman or human invoker are not going to have bomb weapon wards. The usual advice is to wait for ward to drop, not good advice imo because... if you're waiting, they're killing you. So, blackjack or BLINDNESS DUST. Man blindness dust is so the shit. I was abosolutely awful as a ninja but rackedup kills with blindness dust cheese. Voltron for imm? lol. Olyn are you like the lead imp force for AR now?

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks Iolo. That's very nice of you. But I don't think that'll happen. Wink

I like that you post your questions and concerns Morbious. I love it. Keep doing it. When I was new I was like you, asked alot of questions, didn't understand most things. But I quit asking questions pretty quick because I got tired of being called an idiot. I hope you don't feel that way. I look forward to answering your questions and helping you to better understand, and ultimately, to better enjoy this game.

Like everyone's been saying, weapon ward isn't over powered and it isn't likely to be changed. I know I've been in your shoes before when you just can't seem to figure out how in the world you're supposed to win against a certain spell/skill/etc. But sooner or later you'll figure it out. Just heed the advice of everyone here on the forums and try to figure it out on your own as well.

Also, I'd like to comment on your statement that an avian invoker would have the same health as an avian rogue. That isn't true. The health gains are based on con, yes. But they are also based on class. A dwarf berserker will get more hp per rank then a dwarf healer will. Likewise an avian thief will gain more than an avian invoker. So you will have more health, unless of course they're wearing health gear. Which means they MAY have more, but their melee attacks will be weak and they'll be relying solely on spells. Which means your third attack, dual wield, and enhanced damage will be enough to overcome that "disadvantage."

I agree with Erlwith when he says that waiting for weapon ward to drop is silly. I kind of eluded to that in my earlier posts. In a combat situation a few hours is a LONG time. So it isn't wise to wait, but definitely be ready for the opportunity should it happen to fall. Personally I have a trigger set up so everytime someone's ward drops I get this message, "WEAPON WARD IS DOWN!!!!" Basically I'm too thick skulled to notice unless I have it screaming at me like that. lol

Also as Erlwith mentioned, difference races have differing lengths of the ward duration. If you're fighting a "stupid" race, then be more on the lookout for it to drop, whereas if you're fighting an illithid or an elf.. good luck on it dropping anytime soon.

Sorry for another massive post, but I really hope you're learning here Morbious.

0 0 0
Thorgoth
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject:

if voltron gets imm I'll infect the server with a virus lol. niusan was bad enough but come on iolo..really? voltron? that's good comic relief right there

0 0 0
Niusan
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject:

picpen wrote:
if voltron gets imm I'll infect the server with a virus lol. niusan was bad enough but come on iolo..really? voltron? that's good comic relief right there

What can I say picpen? Some choices are better then others when it comes to seats of leadership. Now go eat your cookie, heheh. But in all seriousness, a little rude there, eh picpen?

Last edited by Niusan on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Pip quit insulting other people and trashing a (until then) perfectly good thread because you're bitter.

Please.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject:

And look at it this way...you're immortalized in-game by having your own NPC. Niusan can put that in his pipe and smoke it!

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject:

0 0 0
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: