Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 5 hours.

WARLORD VS KEEPER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: WARLORD VS KEEPER

Didn't feel it was right to continue this topic in a graveyard post

speaking as someone with a large amount of warlord experience i think its something the realms has sorely missed since their extinction. ROFLPWN of parting of the wave? more like strike of the cobra but with the combat and weapon changes something like that would probably have to be toned down, imagine concentrated attacks plus strike of the cobra sheesh.

But anyways, keepers has been a failed attempt to replace warlords. Having a cabal's sole purpose to kill people with great eq is a flawed system since no one with great eq wants to fight. They will gank you and find some bs reason for it or just quit out which I am sure many keepers can testify too. Or they whine and complain until things get nerfed that shouldn't have been creating a lot more problems than projected.

The great thing about warlords was the commitment to no magic, training and just really having a good time with the char. Keepers just can't measure up to how well the warlord cabal was developed, being a keeper is just damn boring its either you against the world BY YOURSELF or you against no one. Having the strife coterie with the record to try and appease people is another failed bandaid.

I really think you underestimate the power of a cabal tag and a cool title, fighting without leaving the area honor and such. None of that comes with the keeper cabal. You heaviliy modify the combat system and then remove the one cabal that is strickly about in your face combat. It should be the shinning example of what this mud is about pk/combat. Instead it gets replaced with a cabal with 0 members, 1 applicant and a imm who is mia. Are you in Iraq or something Hrimoyan?

In my personal opinion someone who has had 4 or 5 keepers and about the same amount of warlords. warlords way more fun will it bring more people back to the mud who knows, but can we please inject some fun into this game?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Of course the people who played Warlords were actually the most lazy inactive shits that ever graced this game. And the "good" ones (the powermongers) could've done it in Legion instead.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Not really sure what to say about your comment, but then again how is that any different with Keepers. The no active members excluding myself until I rage deleted, powermongers trogm ie pip could do it in legion. So again where's the beef? Just bring back warlords and monks so you won't have any more ulcers.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject:

btw to add to your commment sons are being punished for the sins of their fathers doesn't seem to be a great way to grow the game by hurting the future player base

0 0 0
tayyah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Thinking about, being honorable in this game now, at lvl 40 going against someone head on, full prepared vs no magic? good luck getting anywhere waiting to get into warlords, and I just dont think they really have a place in these game mechanics like training for example, lets see you master a retarded amount of skills as a low intel race, ALL defences etc, the shit that warlords was a trademark for, it just doesnt seem all that good of an idea anymore. plus to integrate there abilities into the new melee modules gl, and come on, could you really imagine training/leveling without timaran potions! f that

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I've yet to hear a valid argument for bringing back a cabal that had no purpose. Sure you might stand more of a chance against better players with stance and forms, but why else are you pushing for them to come back? We've already hashed out the same arguments out a dozen times. Keepers did not replace warlords just because they were the cabal to open after Warlords closed. You can still RP any variation of the honorable combat-oriented character. We added an Arena so anyone can get a relatively fair 1 on 1 fight. We even introduced a coterie that is EVERYTHING warlord except the uber cabal powers I already mentioned, so tell me why they need to come back as a full cabal and how they would fit into the cabal dynamic.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
so tell me why they need to come back as a full cabal and how they would fit into the cabal dynamic.

Because if we sacrifice Keepers in favor of Warlords, people will be able to hoard unfettered like they used to. There's no more logging in because "I just need to log enough hours for my rares" now, because there might be a Keeper on. Azazhog wouldn't even login when I was online with my Keeper unless there were at least 2 other lightwalkers on. So you make the decision of inactivity losing your rares, or logging in and for the most part dieing to a Keeper.

First tell I got from dav "If people are complaining you are usually doing something right." Pretty accurate still.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject:

I honestly don't know why I keep posting topics like my voice/post invokes any motion towards actually giving a damn. I don't like keepers, I liked warlords. You are right it probably wouldn't work out ranking wise unless you were let in at lvl 30 with a myriad of other changes. However why continue to waste your time on a dead cabal when you could continue tutoring me in organic chemistry saturday mornings at SMC

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject:

Ozaru wrote:
I honestly don't know why I keep posting topics like my voice/post invokes any motion towards actually giving a damn. I don't like keepers, I liked warlords. You are right it probably wouldn't work out ranking wise unless you were let in at lvl 30 with a myriad of other changes. However why continue to waste your time on a dead cabal when you could continue tutoring me in organic chemistry saturday mornings at SMC

If you think disagreement means no one gives a shit about what you have to say, then you're going to have a lot of trouble with life.

I think the cabal system, in theory, is fine the way it is. The problem, imo, comes more from a less than stellar playerbase.

The idea of Keepers is a good one. They have a nice variety of targets to choose from unlike Knight, Legion, and especially Justice who only get the one tag that forces conflict. Not only do you get to fight uber decked people, but if they choose to run away, you still have the cabal balance duty, which would give you more people to fight who are willing to fight.

If you're complaining about people quitting out when you log your keeper, that's not going to change if you roll a badass uncaballed, or Knight, or Legion. I'm sure Ygin has had plenty of people quit out if they saw that Hegemony tag once on the who list.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject:

If I'm curt its because this topic has been beaten to death. You are flogging the nits out of a dead horse. "Bring back the Warlords and eradicate Keepers" makes you look like a huge boob that doesnt understand how to use the search function before they ask a question.

Really, nobody gives much of a damn about the Warlords. There was nostalgia for the Warlords but that was because of what the players MADE IT, not what it was. It always had cameraderie and occassionally the kind of manliness that can't be found in other cabals. Those were its positive traits. That is the thing I would like to have in the game but it died out of the warlord cabal long before it was closed.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject:

So with all the changes that have been made to keepers, where is the draw to make on? A lot of time has been invested, but then again if it is the people who make it then someone should step in to breathe life into that cabal right? The last leader seemed to be active enough but it starts from the Top down, people get a lot more excited about join a cabal when they see the imm is pretty active because you feel like ok I have a chance at getting in when I see members actually around.

Maybe you are right there is nothing wrong with the keeper idea/purpose I myself loved being the beta tester for keepers lol since everytime I made one there was new change that hurt/helped me. Regardless your work will mean nothing unless you get someone to represent it actively. Best of luck with that.

Unfortunately it does seem like a losing battle with the lack of potential targets 7 people that is pretty bad, what are the chances that a keeper will log in one of the 7 are on maybe 6 if thats his other char lol and they actually fight.

In closing keep doing what you are doing, I still play because I enjoy it.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Unfortunately it does seem like a losing battle with the lack of potential targets 7 people that is pretty bad, what are the chances that a keeper will log in one of the 7 are on maybe 6 if thats his other char lol and they actually fight.

I understand your point, but I think dav already said he was addressing this by making it rating/gear based. perhaps that will change its targets some. Though i would be curious to know if you kill fav deathmarked ninja, would the deathmark remain? it didn't the time I killed her, and I never saw her deathmarked after that.

edit. Just read the 7 target thing on my graveyard. I'll agree with the timing thing, there was a lot of time I spent mastering stupid things... like kick and double kick.. or almost mastering throw. Keepers need something to do besides farm gold and hope someone shows up. I know there were a few times I was on for a good 4+ hours and no one logged on.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject:

The deathmark will not return until the mr.awesome ninja gets another kill.

Also 7 targets is more than you realise. They are the best pk'ers on the game from all cabals. Some cabals (e.g. Knights) have only 3-4 targets that really matter to them, with a large segment of playerbase (other lightwalkers) off limits. A neutral justice will typically have none, and even better, be expected to just town sit. Like I have said, we would want you to choose evil if you want the most pk targets. The limited targets of Keepers is well suited to their neutral alignments. Cabal characters are still free to pursue personal grudges in their own time.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
A neutral justice will typically have none, and even better, be expected to just town sit.

True dat.

With Keepers it's the world vs. Keepers. Neutral Justice is hope some newb doesn't know what laws are.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Its not the world vs keepers. Get up to date with the game changes.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject:

So it seems that the Keeper cabal is moving away from the rare-purge in the middle of the month motif in favor of keeping in check the best pkers.

So... since rares play no role in who they target, why should they swear not to use any rares? You could subject them to coterie-like rare limits. Just saying.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject:

Not really true. I am taking advantage of the strong correlation between players being rated highly, and uber geared, because its a very reliable way to assign the targets I wanted for them. Remember, when Azazhog was running around "hoarding", he was the top rated player as well. I think it would be stupid not to make good use of that. Instead of trying to arbritrarily assign a number to everyone's gear which leads to lots of minor people just being asked to sac something - that gives you the feeling that Keeper is softening you up for the Legions, instead of softening up the Legions for you. They will continue to not use rares and their cabal powers will continue to interact with rare items in a unique manner. When I find a better way to assign targets for Keepers, I will adopt it.

Its really win-win for everybody this way. Even if someone can get high rated without being uber-geared, they're still going to have a close fight with Keepers in their future (because gear is matched), and I know that they'd welcome the challenge. The only people running scared should be the ones riding their gear with no skill, because Keepers will be a match for them on a gear basis, plus more skilled (hopefully). The only disadvantage there can be in a fight with Keepers is your own skill, and similarly its the advantage. So when you beat a Keeper, its like you prove yourself. Those are obviously wins worth having on your pk record, but also, obviously, eye-opening losses. Don't hate.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: