Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 10 hours.

Changes you don't like.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject:

Erlwith wrote:
Vertas wrote:
It's not that people are shittier players (well maybe...) ar is just more of a thinking man's game now.

I think dav hit he nail on the head with this one recently. There has been so much change and missinformation that important bits of pvp info slip thru the cracks and most newer players never know or can even find any info and as such have no choice but to suck.

If All relevant pvp info was available like exactly how spears and dodge works or how hide is easier in the dark or w/e there would be a much leveler playing field wihout a doubt. Your only other choice if you want to get good is do as much research aa possible on the forums and hope u find some useful info burried in the annals.

But to the topic of thogs that should revert...I kno player names have at times gotten out of hand but unless a name is offensive or ooc but let's not let the fledging imms getall name nazi because they don't like the name... It is a major turn off espeially when you take time to develop a name and a story to match. Sure I could come up with something new but its so much easier to play starcrft 2 or diablo3

a level disparity that equates to instant kills for nuke skills/spells landed on someone lots of levels lower disagrees. This also disagrees when said lower player, who tries diverse tactics and attempts gets shut down, and then just comes in spamming one skill every time they see them killing said much higher level character with single skill spam.

Its a thinking man's game when things are equal. But if we all rolled human warriors it'd be boring.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
At the moment I don't really know what direction that should be headed in. I would say its interesting but there's a couple things I dislike about it:

- it seems like you were supposed to force the other player to stay in the fight with either hobble or dirt. because these skills punish flee. Seems good in principle. i just dont' see it working in practice. in 90% of logs the players will flee and escape anyway, if they are prepared. that seems ok. but the problem is the immense gank value... if a sanc is down, you just get an easy kill. that's harsh on dirt kick, since it can be initiated with and lands very easily. it makes rangers very powerful gankers, just wear a bow and go dirt someone..derrrrr.

-disarms on these skills seems horribly overpowered in all instances. with or without the weapon lags. same story with the long lags. 1 round lags and rakes looks rewarding enough for the combat skills, with exception when you do both at the same time, which is too much. i don't really understand why the skills are so strong anymore. my impression of them was you want the warrior to have something to spam against combat styles so that they will overcome a gear disadvantage ...shutting out skill inputs or attacks is a great way to do that. if that is the case then barrage utterly sucks (it does neither + crap damage) and sideswipe is pretty overpowered (it does both) , while overhead is just rather overboard. throw javs in there for god knows what.

just my opinion of course, but thats why we have the delay for style changing, and things like wind-up times, which give competent players time to react, but something still needs to be done about dirt.

also, remember when dirt was a tactical skill more along the lines of "if I dirt him, I can wreck his defenses, disarm, or flee and be safe from pursuit if I do it near a multi-exit area. I can prevent him from dirting me if I stand on water or a flying room, etc etc".

And this is pre: skills that autodisarm, faceplants from dirt/hobble flee.

now dirt is: "if I land this I know he won't be running away so I can follow up with a hobble and then he's fucked once sanc goes down. he cant run, he cant stand and fight (hobble Fs your dex over, and so your hitroll as well as taking away dodge), so I've got my free gank kill and now I just have to wait for the rounds to end to loot all". As per dav said.

Personally, I applaud the idea and reasons behind the combat skills, and they are very frustrating when used against you. However, disarm is a dust gathering skill now, except maybe for hybrids since they don't get a skill that auto-rakes or auto-disarms, and to actually manually disarm you require neutral or advantaged weapon type anyway, so unless you're playing like a rogue, you're not going to disarm. and then if you disarm, what?

you've caused the player to lose their weapon but then they also dont get overcome when trying to parry with a disadvantaged weapon. Parry does happen hand to hand, it just reduces damage, where as an overcome parry, to my knowledge, does not. So its more advantageous to NOT disarm, unless they're wearing some sort of super rare high avg.

I think the straw that broke the camels back is the auto-skills involved with some of the stuff, like sideswipes rake. you already get to lag them and force them to stay in combat not using skills while you have a combat advantage that shuts down their dodge. Adding rake to that? unngh.

its not like its a "great risk vs great reward" skill either. its a staple of advantaged style combat. its low risk gets great reward. I think that might be the core difference between "pre modules" and "post modules" for AR.

Pre modules, lag skills were deadly, but thankfully in small numbers. lag skills do NOTHING other than keep someone in a fight, yet they were still very deadly weren't they? How else do Fire giants of doom come around in 98-04'. dirt did NOTHING other than prevent a person from wielding a weapon after disarm, and lower their defenses and hitroll if they didnt have blindfighting.

to get the super deadliness that is blind and lagged, you had to successfully chain dirt into bash, and then they died. Now you chain dirt into hobble, because if they don't flee immediatately, they lag themselves trying to get away, and chain that into hobble, making them a sitting kill.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject:

I used disarm to varying degrees of success on my gnome warrior. If you are two-handed and try for weapon advantage, you can disarm a dual wielder and attain combat superiority. Naturally, with the change to weapon wield lag, things are more difficult, but some players are overeager and will spam hobble when they see superiority, so disarm can come in handy there.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:

Im a little surprised to hear that, although it does make sense that you'd be able to carry and use the weapon selection to make this possible. Then again, what you're saying relies on the other player spamming commands, which is the opposite of skill and judgment (my web browser says this is correct spelling, while judgement is not. wtf..).

Anyway, the best chance of disarm is strength, advantage weapon type (that thing rogues are supposed to get, it seems like weapon type for superior manual disarms with the disarm skill would've been a mainstay fighting method of rogues), and if you're dual wielding.

I've felt that skills like disarm or something should've been the other way around. You gain some good advantages for having a weapon that destroys the parry of an enemy's weapon and does other stuff, and then you as defender can choose to disarm it to disable their advantage and gain one for yourself. Although I don't know how this would work without trying to pin down how to make it something you'd want to do as an option vs something that would be expected to be done 100% of the time because its so good, like hobble.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject:

quest point rewards are godawful apart from condition and title.

~20 points to lose the chance to live longer or have a custom title, for a experience or learning only reward that doesn't last as long as a guild reward, is pretty worthless. It's far easier to just wait for a surge or get those 30 min a day.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject:

Fireballer wrote:

~20 points to lose the chance to live longer or have a custom title, for a experience or learning only reward that doesn't last as long as a guild reward, is pretty worthless. It's far easier to just wait for a surge or get those 30 min a day.

Unless you actually condeath your characters, your points are better spent elsewhere. Factor in that I (and some of the other immortals) already reward custom titles for those I/we think deserve them, and they're a legitimate way to spend your points. It's just another option to make ranking faster. If you prefer to save for those other things, go for it. They aren't hurting you in any way.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Fireballer wrote:

Unless you actually condeath your characters, your points are better spent elsewhere. Factor in that I (and some of the other immortals) already reward custom titles for those I/we think deserve them, and they're a legitimate way to spend your points. It's just another option to make ranking faster. If you prefer to save for those other things, go for it. They aren't hurting you in any way.

I do think the quest mechanics could use a second look-at. I also don't like the change that the quest point system has brought about. The great thing about quests was being able to save them all up and get one of those really tedious mid-40s ranks done by yourself.

It's all great that quest points facilitate faster learning via experience rewards but the success of those rewards is predicated on the presence of groups. What the old system helped solve was ranking the higher levels without the need for groupmates. Under the new system, the grind from 45 to 50 became 20k exp longer.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Fireballer wrote:

Code:
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says 'Here is what I offer in return for your hard-earned points:'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '3 guild favor  --- Long learning and greater experience boost.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '5 quest points --- Short learning boost.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '10 quest points -- Medium learning boost.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '15 quest points -- Long learning boost.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '20 quest points -- Lesser experience boost.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '50 quest points -- Greater experience boost.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '60 quest points -- Vitality Restoration.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says '110 quest points - A token of fame - Pinnacle ranks ONLY.'
Ugula the warrior guildmaster says 'Use 'accept guild' for guild rewards, or 'accept <amount>' to choose a quest reward.'

short = 30 hours.
medium = 60 hours.
long = 90 hours.
lesser = 30.
greater = ?? (but Im going to guess 90)

I will concede your point that not many people condeath, so perhaps con reward would be useless to most people, but the other rewards are nearly as useless in all circumstances, given that you can only buy around 8 long learning boosts or 6 lesser or 2 greater experience, and they provide less benefit than a guild reward. I just don't see the use of them unless its a caballed with a huge quest tally allowing them to dump and burn in a few days to shoot to 50 with some terribly penalized character, like mino zerks.

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject:

It is an added bonus to questing. People whine about the fact that they can't just quest from 49-50 anymore so this was implemented by popular demand and tbh I will take the two extra hours of exp at rank 48-50 as it speeds it up faster than the slow crawl it is otherwise.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject:

It may also be relevant to note that while you do like 5 quests to get a medium learning, you'll probably be on for close to half an hour. The next day you can spend those points for a half hour learning boost to make ranking worthwhile, then you only have one more day to get your last guild point for your little mini surge.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject:

I understand that, Vevier, as I took it into account when I was discussing it. It's still not very helpful, and just useful for powerranking, but/and it relies on groups to be useful.

another change I haven't really liked is the change to
Code:

Players found: 5
There are 5 characters on; the most on since startup was 9.

for invis and hidden people. for the ones who are clever, it's easy to get around the limitation by replying tells when they go hidden/camo/invis.

What it does do is convince people that not many people are playing if they can't see invis/hidden, and that leads to a negative reinforcement effect, that people believe the game is empty even if there's 5 or more unseeables, leading to people playing less and less.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject:

Fireballer wrote:

for invis and hidden people. for the ones who are clever, it's easy to get around the limitation by replying tells when they go hidden/camo/invis.

That's only if they talk to you and no one else says anything to you in the meantime.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject:

The changes to dirt, the auto switching for pressing a single button for rogues, which leads to switch/dirt/disarm/trip. its like 5 actions at once :\

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject:

Changes i dont like:

Year being 2013 instead of 2006.

0 0 0
Tiqa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject:

I hate the potion addiction change so much. I quit playing for the last 3 weeks. Every time I wanted to log on, the thought of the potion addiction stopped me. Tonight I gave it another try but instantly having -2 con sucked. I appreciate that we got the chance to give our feedback on this change on the potion addiction thread, but I honestly do not understand it. To me it is just a negative, tedious thing that provides no fun whatsoever.

Abandoned Realms is an excellent game with excellent imms and players. So in fairness, I wanted to let you know why I have stopped playing and am going to look elsewhere. Thank you to Belja, Bladefury, Nadrin, Olyn and others who I do not know by OOC name for all the fun over the years. And thank you to the imms for making us such a great place to play (well, except for the addictions).

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject:

Tiqa, the imms will not let this stand with so many people unhappy with it. Sometimes things just take time for the right people to be able to talk with one another about it. Please have a little more patience with it?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject:

Yeah ok time to pull it.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Yeah ok time to pull it.

All hail Tiqa.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Dark-knights losing charm person. I remember when stallions were being added, the discussion in the Battlefield involved both being in the equation. More than anything, I feel like charm person was an integral part of what dark-knights, as I knew them, were. I miss cleave, also. Haha. But I know that THAT is definitely not coming back, and I completely understand that one. However, I think that Dark-knights deserve to be able to take that risk, with a charmie that expires so fast. It's fun, makes things exciting, and forces you to plan. It also adds another risk factor, dark-knights being safer than they were before.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject:

We moved that gameplay onto vampires so I don't understand your issue. The option is there.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 4 of 26

Jump to: