Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 4 hours.

Give us autoinduct for completing tasks for cabals.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you gone inactive on a character or deleted because of induction "timing".
yes
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
no
68%
 68%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 25

Fireballer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Give us autoinduct for completing tasks for cabals.

Right now its a guessing game, and its also a guessing game as to when. This is why people go inactive and stop playing cabal applicants. Said cabal applicants then get to hear the "you were never around so we didn't want to induct you".

If its a problem of inactivity on the part of leaders and a dead cabal, having some variable time limit that autoinducts would lessen the burden on players and imms. its the job of mort/imm leaders to induct when someone passes tests and proves themselves right? If they aren't on at the same time of imms, you'll see a lot of tedious waiting.

cabal imm should have the power to work with some kind of form that can designate prerequisites that a character needs, like 100% parry and level 40, etc.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject:

The problem really isn't the induction time, its people actually staying in the cabal to induct other people. For example, keepers are now left with 1 inactive player and 1 inactive applicant, but he became inactive the moment after he applied and I just noticed 1 more cabal applicant yesterday. Now had I stayed with oreno i would have made leader eventually simply due to the lack of active players in the cabal. And I could have then inducted any potential applicants. Since I deleted I set the cabal back a lot because Hrimoyan is rarely on anyway.

Players have to take some responsibility in this, even though I believe if you are a cabal imm you should be pretty active during surges or peak times to catch this applicants and get them on their merry way. You probably have an outside life, but 1 hour every few days shouldn't be too much to ask. But if you do make it to a cabal, don't delete, at the very least you can give people tasks to get to rank 40 so they just don't sit at rank 25.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject:

the current method works like this:

25 you get tasks to complete, either kills or skills or whatever. you are told to wait at a certain level and then get to 40 after a certain time. The idea behind weighted cabal member approvals was to get people inducted in the absence of imms and leaders. This works when cabals are bloated, and not when they're empty.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:

Cabals have and will always require an OOC element to keep running, and it begins at the very highest level where there are only Imms and they select people based on their IP address and previous history, regardless of app or description length. You just need to network better so that people want to put you in their cabal. This isn't all entirely merit-based. Stop complaining that logging on for 20 hours a day didn't work and asking for automation (which would be even worse). That only works after cabals hit critical mass and you can't login withotu seeing 4 of them online. Make some friends or at least alliances in the community and doors will open for you in that regard. Otherwise it all depends on how much time the Imms are putting into managing that crap. Ultimately its better for cabals to have a system where noteworthy players vouch for other noteworthy players, to have a strong base to start from, and build from there. This is the same reason why cabals die instantly when the few core members who can rely on each other go and delete. Being left in a cabal in that situation is not a good place to be, nevermind try to join it.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject:

Everything you have just said is superfluous. I should be in already but the cabal is dead. The ironic part of everything you just said is that with more players, weighted approvals would completely automate things and completely remove this component:

Quote:
...OOC element to keep running... where there are only Imms...

On the other hand, everything you have just said could also be construed as passive aggressive behavior of wasting people's time to screw with them and not manning up and telling them you just don't want them to play your game. Is it that you want players to quit playing or get frustrated and leave?

I have no incentive to play at all right now. I'm sorry to the other players, but I'm disenchanted with this game. I'll just remain inactive for a while being since I have put so much real world and LIFE time into a character.

Code:
There are 0 characters on; the most on since startup was 18.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject:

good bye to rubbish.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject:

I'm just being honest. I'm not even around doing inductions. I am basically a dormant Imm at the moment, dropping advice on forums from one old player to another. Sorry to pee in your cheerios.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I'm just being honest. I'm not even around doing inductions. I am basically a dormant Imm at the moment, dropping advice on forums from one old player to another. Sorry to pee in your cheerios.

heh, well my thoughts are that if you're being honest about "making people just wait 300+ hours and not being forthright enough to just deny an app for whatever personal issue and we like OOC circle jerking" because of whatever reason its rationalized as OK to waste 100s of hours, it dissuades me from playing for the same reason I don't read books that stop halfway through and describe the color of the sky for the next 3000 pages. Only you seem to be saying you guys do it intentionally? Whats ironic about all this is you're outing this kind of mindset even though its not actually whats going on. the cabal is simply dead and whoever controls it is never around. Between this and that, why bother logging in at all?

Smotpoker wrote:
good bye to rubbish.

Smile

yes. It was a goodbye because I spent all last night getting completely smashed after a wedding and getting numbers from some women while making others I know jealous. I know that look. I'd rather waste my time with humans face to face because I feel that waiting while knowingly being intentionally trolled by hours and hours of your life in a video game is not the way to spend a short human life. Honest, it has no real value at all, but don't get existential about it.

I can tell you're lonely, so if you want to join me and my pals on xbl, my SN would be TheGunShooter. Don't be a stranger potsmoker.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Name one person who has waited 300 hours.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject:

im far from lonely bro and i do agree that trying to get into a dead cabal sucks but hey if you have the heart to wait it out and get inducted and stay in it just means your the only one thats gonna go up and if people see your [cabal tag] it makes more people apply to the cabal.

If you noticed this mud is not all sunshine every player here has something they can bitch about. Like getting ganked afk, having 4 people gangbang you because your in the wrong cabal. The cabal wait itself, getting full looted, the trash pker at lvl 15-25, the niche pkers, equipping and re-equipping.

Thing is we all come and play because it is just a game it is meant to be played and for you to enjoy yourself. Just like Battlefield or Modern Warfare they have their own problems like spawn camping, and those times when you could of sworn you got a headshot only to die by them and so forth but people still play it.

Also xbox sucks playstation is and always will be better.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject:

Fireballer, there's an element of skill necessary to get into cabals. Putting in an easy button is not the answer to all of life's problems. If it were, then Viggs would have had thiefy hellstream a long time ago. Stop whining and just suck it up. If you delete, you obviously weren't invested in that character enough anyway.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject:

Ergorion wrote:
Fireballer, there's an element of skill necessary to get into cabals. Putting in an easy button is not the answer to all of life's problems. If it were, then Viggs would have had thiefy hellstream a long time ago. Stop whining and just suck it up. If you delete, you obviously weren't invested in that character enough anyway.

*signed*

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject:

Nadrin wrote:
Ergorion wrote:

*signed*

+11

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject:

While it is important for players to have patience and diligence when waiting to be inducted (and promoted, for that matter), I think something can be said about our wanting to see more Immortal presence for these kinds of things. Yes, the Imms have their own lives and can't be expected to be online 24x7, but I think its fair for us to want them around more. And I think its fair for the Imms to be expected to be around more, for example Dav when you make someone an Imm let them know they should be around X number of hours per month. I also think if an Immortal cabal leader isn't going to be around for a while, let the other Imms know that if you see so-and-so logged in, please promote him, if you see so-and-so, please induct her.

I play AR every day. The last imm I saw was Hrimoyan a week ago. For 5 minutes. I haven't seen Luminetar ONCE since he was imm'd in Sept 2010. That itself is a joke. Trogm would have been around weekly I bet, if not more (my gut feeling anyways).

There's my rant. Applicants, be patient. Imm's, come around more.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject:

OR.....you guys could quit deleting your characters all the time so someone makes mortal leader and the cabals function the way they're supposed to.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject:

I don't disagree. Oreno and Taelrask are two prime examples of recent foolish deletes of potential mortal leaders. Knights haven't had a mortal leader since....Korack, right? That's more than a year!

But. Imms gotta step up too. Imho.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject:

iolo wrote:
I don't disagree. Oreno and Taelrask are two prime examples of recent foolish deletes of potential mortal leaders. Knights haven't had a mortal leader since....Korack, right? That's more than a year!

But. Imms gotta step up too. Imho.

Not taking away from Olyn and Vev's recent quest, and all the stuff you do behind the scenes, of course! That's a totally different topic.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject:

Working on quests means a lot of 'behind the scenes' times. (Especially for me cause I have to fumble with the code every year and reteach myself everything.) As upper level IMMs we aren't visible often, it allows us to log in and check notes and deal with problem people if we see them and not have to worry about dealing with a minor issue that would be better off being posted on the forums instead.

You also have to consider that this game is not a lifetime commitment, for any one. Olyn and I were IMMed in like 2008? Almost 4 years ago. There is no way we can be expected to have the same time to commit to the game as we did back then.

Could we use more vis IMMs hovering around all the time? Sure we could. Alternatively we could mess with the code a bit to allow an IMM to monitor more than one Cabal at a time so that a single absence might go unnoticed by the playerbase, but I feel like we currently have a not disproportionate amount of IMMs to active players ratio. Be patient, play your cards right and if you feel like you've been waiting for a while send a note to immortal and explain your situation. Just remember, we can check and see how many hours you've played and if you're an ass about it, it probably won't get you very far.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject:

this is a little off topic but Iolo roll a keeper and see how long you want to keep it. The lack of imm presence is a big deal to the same damn 18 people that just rinse and repeat chars in this game. If a player is going to devote 10 hrs + to a game a week it isn't hard to understand the frustration of having to wait to get into cabal.

The logical route would be to get rid of cabal rank restrictions. if you can power rank to fifty dominate, there shouldn't be an issue for you to get in. It seems foolish to have to wait so long just to be told to rank. Personally I understand the wait times for promotions but I don't agree with them. In my various cabal characters I have always felt that cabal promotions took way too long. rank 1 when inducted, make it to fifty rank 2. Kill a few people at 50 staying active rank 3. Kill a few leaders or high rated people rank 4. staying active kill die just staying active help cabal rank you get to rank 5.

The main reason why cabals stay empty is because IMHO is promotions take too long to be given out. Reward people sooner, prolly get more retention. With Oreno I was rank 2 after hitting 50. Honestly I probably got lucky to hit it when Hrimoyan was around which is like winning the freaking lottery. After killing Ygin I woke up promoted to rank 3, that sucked balls no rp what so ever lol and this is coming from someone who never rps. I was super active killing everything in sight died a few. Hrimoyan went mia for like 2 weeks and finally got promoted to rank 4.
Had a few bad deaths, starting to get bored with the char ended up deleting.

All in all this was my best cabal experience with a char with really limited cabal imm interaction. to be fair olyn used to be super active but probably got tired of the rage deletes and all the other shit that comes with ebing an imm or he has a life. So to all the players out there, we can make the game better by actually staying in cabals. Iolo don't wait for me or nadrin to roll up a char dominate then end up raging lol make your own char to lead a cabal there have been some shitty cabal leaders just ask nadrin rofl BURN. I still don't like you LoL

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject:

Vevier wrote:
It'd be nice if we could have it but we cant.
We're making it a pie in the sky issue, then. Saying "because X doesn't work there is no solution" won't really change anything, will it?

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7186

Here's a character who came up from ranks below me, got 40, got inducted, got to 50, and then deleted. All while I waited at 40. Thats why I say, if you're going to deny an applicant deny them so they don't waste their time. Please don't string them along. people tend to feel ill will towards those who make them wait. There's a reason tardiness is a stigma. It deprives people of their time, and to deprive them of time is to do violence to them because it deprives them of life. If there's another issue, please let me know. You'll have to make it a note to all applicants so that I see it if I ever choose to login to the character again.

Ergorion wrote:

Davairus wrote:
Cabals have and will always require an OOC element to keep running, and it begins at the very highest level where there are only Imms and they select people based on their IP address and previous history, regardless of app or description length. Make some friends or at least alliances in the community and doors will open for you in that regard.

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7186
http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7065
http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7112
http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6947
http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6833

from the comments on the last 3 links, we can see that rage deleting is not treated as negatively as in some other instances. All of these have less hours than I do. but putting the idea of investment together with the idea of "friends get benefits you don't", we see people who make characters and just go delete them anyway, regardless of their description or background length, or in other words, regardless of their investment or lack of investment in their character. I'm reflecting what you're claiming to look for in applicants.

Quote:
OR.....you guys could quit deleting your characters all the time so someone makes mortal leader and the cabals function the way they're supposed to.

Again, above. If you guys are looking for stability and reliability, why is it that constantly inducting "bridge-built networked "friends"" is turning out so badly for cabals, while others wait 200 hours before finally giving up? Mort leaders are more non-existent than existent. Either the progression is too slow or the people playing caballeds are deleting too quickly.

If the people who get into cabal are "networked", and if cabals always become empty at some point, due to rage deletes and inactives, and if mortal leaders are few and far between, then we can say this policy has the opposite effect, that providing "gimmes" to people based on "networking" leads to empty cabals and a lack of mort leaders or long term committed players, because they got their cabal position as a consequence, not of investment or commitment to character, but of investment and commitment to "networking".

bullet points:
· People with less hours surpass me, get into cabals, and delete or go inactive, when I've shown more commitment to a character.
· Dav has publicly stated the imm/cabal/player relationship policy, and with this policy, cabal retention and leadership are still consistently issues.
· There is a constant stream of applicants to cabals, and we know its by the same 18-20 people who play daily. And there's a constant stream of rage deletes. How are these people getting back into cabals so easily again, if they have proven to be unsuitable? Maybe the high turnover rate lies with these people who always get into cabals and not with one person who has sat around for 200 hours not getting into one cabal.
· I believe the problem is an inactive imm, because it can't be any other reason. I don't see what other reason an active staff could make a single person wait 200 or more hours at 40. Don't you all agree? That's 200 actual real world hours.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: