Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 19 hours.

Plague, poison, steal, and pry.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Plague, poison, steal, and pry.

A little more information on these changes:

Plague: Plague now does no damage at all. Instead, it saps the following stats from the victim: int, wis, con, hp, mana, and mv. This is done by applying a negative modifer to the maximum allowed for each of these stats. For example, while plagued, your max hp would be lowered from your healthy max hp, and this amount increases as the disease is allowed to incubate. It also spreads more easily to groupmates now, so be sure to get it cured quickly if you're traveling in a party. Plague won't actually kill the victim, but rather makes him easier to kill and somewhat slower to regenerate (due to decreased stats), as well as make him more vulnerable to any affect has a check against the affected stats. There aren't many now, but more will be added in the future.

Poison: Poison now does a medium amount of initial damage, as well as a large reduction in the victim's strength and dex. Unlike plague, the stat modifiers decrease over time until it is reduced to 0, and the duration is short (so it's quite possible to "run out" the poison without curing it). Poison is best used to temporarily cripple the enemy in combat.

The main difference between the two is that plague is a long-term debilitator, while poison is designed to have an immediate (but short-lived) impact on the victim's fighting abilities (and possibly swing the pendulum during a fight). This makes poison more in-line with the stealth classes (such as thieves and ninjas) that use them to gain a momentary advantage in combat.

The changes to steal and pry are mostly to deter repeated offensive use of steal/pry in combat. Essentially if you're standing in the open (i.e. outside of the city or somewhere where a thief can hide), a thief is forced to actually attempt to blackjack you to use his thief skills, rather than spamming steal/pry as a cheap way of initiating combat. Thief skills are supposed to be used against the unwary and not in a "spam until you succeed" way, and I'm still not 100% happy with them so expect more tweaks down the line.

It's no concidence that these changes are being introduced together. Notice that you can no longer rely on poison to keep you "awake" from blackjacks (due to loss of the per-tick damage), but in return thieves are now more reliant upon using blackjack as well. For the time being you can still use hunger/thirst to keep yourselves awake, however.

These changes represent some minor housekeeping before our next serious batch of changes is ready to be implemented. As I've already disclosed in other forum posts, the next change module will be:

a) combat-oriented;
b) make race selection more unique/interesting; and
c) include goodies for warriors.

This is just the tip of the iceburg though--there are many inter-related issues involved with the next module, and because of the comparably large number of changes involved we will be releasing the package in several installments. It will be much more involved than the last change module (which was transportation spells).

If you have any questions, comments, or complaints about the plague, poison, steal, and pry changes (or if you're bored and want to speculate about what's coming up next), you can use this thread to launch the discussion.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject:

Good changes. Not sure how I feel about plague not doing any damage. Irl, especially back in the day, catching the plague would have killed you, hence the damage aspect, so in a realism sense I'm not too happy about losing the damage, but the rest of the change package is definately more realistic, and thats just damn cool Twisted Evil. The poison change was waaay overdue. It's gonna make all them little thiefies and ninjas a little less gimped. And ninjas really need help with the gimpage.

Changing steal and pry is such a good thing. How could you really pry someone's boots off when they're awake anyway? And in response to Divsky's post which should have been in HERE and not the other thread, thieves ARE blackjack machines...where u been this whole time?

I think the next change is gonna be for the mighty warrior gnome!

Your hide in shadows has succeeded!
<30hp 10m 30mv>

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject:

Re: plague realism, it's actually not very hard to justify. For example, professional adventurers (which all characters are) should easily have the fortitude to not be completely killed off by common diseases, due to fortification from exposure. After all, they're many times hardier than, say, your average insular farmer in Clover with no resistance whatsoever.

Failing that, we can always give people mandatory chicken pox shots when they leave mud school.

Another option is to introduce lethal STD's that kill your character and prevent them from being resurrected at the temple as well (i.e. perm death). Should make the brothel areas more interesting.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject:

GodOfWar wrote:
New cleric spell

Commune 'cure clap' <target>

Just a thought

<40hp 30m 50mv>

Your crabs === SCRATCHES === you!
You are seriously annoyed!
<39hp 20m 50mv>

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject:

Strick the bartender bursts into tears.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject:

From DivSky's post elsewhere:

Quote:
Actually, I don't understand the changes the poison and plague either. I didn't think there was a problem with either of these spells.

Poison and plague would reduce the regeneration of the victim by as much as 5/6, making other regeneration-inhibiting spells (such as insomnia) useless in comparison. The two spells basically used to do too many things at once: reduce strength, inflict damage, severely cripple regeneration, and (worse of all) amplified their own effects by stacking with each other. Instead, now they're more specialized for different uses.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject:

1) poison cannot be used vs blackjack and strangle, but now it can't be used against a necro's sleep neither.

2) i don't think hunger/thirst wakes you from blackjack/strangle/sleep, or at least i heard it didn't. if so, i'd use milk to make myself instantly thirsty before a fight. however, if its not true, then there is no way i can think of to wake myself up against a blackjack/strangle/sleep except attacking a mob and having it track me a few rooms away, trying to surprise the attacker.

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject:

Hunger and thirst cause damage. Any amount of damage wakes you. Guess we have to drink milk or blood to avoid sleep/blackjack/strangle instead of herbal brews.

0 0 0
Itiggidy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject:

funny, I'd already come up with that as an alternative, since they already screwed with the way milk works.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject:

Hunger wakes you from healthy sleep, but not the blackjack/sleep/etc kind. So no, you can't do that.

0 0 0
Hamp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject:

Will the affects of the new plague still do more to avains due to the vuln?

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Probably harder for them to resist it.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject:

That and it would probably hit em a bit faster.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Actually, hunger and thirst hasnt woken you up from blackjack / sleep for a long time.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Will the affects of the new plague still do more to avains due to the vuln?

Normally, the character must make a save vs malediction against the plague to prevent it from landing, and if it lands the plague worsens every tick unless the character makes a successful save vs malediction. (Note that this means if you have enough saves, you can largely resist the effect of plague for a long time.) For avians, they have to make the initial save vs malediction at a penalty due their vuln to disease, and if they become diseased then they automatically fail the worsening check at every tick regardless of what their saves are. This continues until they reach the cap.

Weapons that inflict disease damage are unaffected by the change.

Note that both avians and non-avians have the same max cap for maximum plague modifiers (this scales based on levels). However, avians will reach the cap faster.

Quote:
Hunger wakes you from healthy sleep, but not the blackjack/sleep/etc kind. So no, you can't do that.

I forgot about that earlier change--it was quite a while ago. Disregard what I said about sleep.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject:

The hunger/thirst change actually happened when Resatimm or Ritase was about. About the same time the demon armorer was given fast_attack and bash and dirt kick and hellstream.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject:

hm brainstorming for ways to avoid blackj/strangle/sleep in loss of poison.

* stand in a roomprogged room that damages you for standing there (not practical)

* have a mob track you a few rooms down (kinda practical, though can't be used everywhere, and you'd have to set the trap)

* try to guard against it by using enlarge or finding magical items for enlarging yourself (don't know if there are any items, though an illusionist should probably use it)

so there aren't any good guards against it but now these three skills/spells will always be used how they were intended, unless one of us figure out another devious way to guard against them.

avians are more vuln to plague (which is disease), but are they more vuln to poison as well? if so.. if you are a thief, envenom your plague damage weapon, switch to it after the double backstab, and go to town on an avian. nasty.

the steal and pry changes seem to be made to stop a particular way of playing a thief. probably because the success rate of blackjack is so high, that you should be blackj'ing anyway given the massive bonus to pry, steal, and backstab. a calculating stealth class should be played like one, i suppose. hm, i want a thief.

does dysentery affect regen like poison or plague did? shaman have all 3, don't they? and enfeeblement, and insomnia, and energy drain...

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject:

To Louis: Envenom can only be done on slashing and peircing weapons. Plague damage doesn't count as either of those, so a plague/sickness weapon cannot be envenomed. I tried it just a little bit ago.

I still don't understand or like the changes to the thieves. I've always thought they relied way too much on blackjack and I've never liked that every single thief does nothing but goes around blackjacking people. That, and I always thought the RP of a thief who would pickpocket you while talking to you was great. There have been plenty of times I've been having a casual conversation with someone at north square.

You say 'Blah blah blah'

They say 'Blah blah blah'

Bingo! You got 9000 gold!

You say 'Blah blah blah'

Pulling this off, and especially prying from someone in plain sight takes some major balls, but it's incredibly fun when you do do it and they don't even notice. And thats part of what makes a thief so much fun to me- being able to steal from people without them even realizing it (at a major risk, of course). Now, however, if you steal anything from someone they're going to know it.

Thief steps out of the shadows.

If you're sitting at north square and you see that, check your inventory. Because if that thief is in your PK range chances are he just stole something. And now that thief is going to be lagged and vulnerable, so that's not even going to happen. More than likely all you're ever going to see from any thief from now on is this.

A sudden pain erupts in your skull.
You go to sleep.

That's about all the interaction you'll be getting from thieves, and it's going to get annoying. In my opinion this is definatly a step in the wrong direction for thieves. Their over-reliance on blackjack is tedious, makes thieves more bland, reduces the RP of the thief (instead of having a gold-loving halfling thief who can't keep his fingers out of peoples wallets, you have yet another thief who does nothing but aggresivly clobber people with blackjacks), and makes them annoying to anyone playing against a thief. Personally, I think they should be giving thieves more alternatives to blackjacks to make them a more varied and interesting class, not just blackjack machines.

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I agree with you divsky. The change takes away options on how to play your thief -- I can't say if it's more balanced, but it's definately less interesting.

I do like the changes to poison/plague though. Poison always just seemed like a weaker version of plague and was mainly used for defense against thieves and such. I always think things like this are silly, poison should be bad for you, not helpful.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've always thought they relied way too much on blackjack and I've never liked that every single thief does nothing but goes around blackjacking people.

Every single thief, or every single thief you play?

I've snooped quite a few of the "rambo thieves" popular today, who will steal/pry relentlessly as a way of initiating combat, relying on their infallible hide to prevent retaliation if they get in trouble. The problem is that if you're a thief already looking for a fight (or already in a tactical fight with the target), being caught stealing/prying has very few repercussions, and the eq gain is just the same as trying to do it stealthily. At least you can only blackjack so frequently, compared to stealing and prying.

Quote:
Pulling this off, and especially prying from someone in plain sight takes some major balls, but it's incredibly fun when you do do it and they don't even notice.

First of all, prying "in plain sight" was added while I was away. When pry was introduced, it was never intended to be used on awake targets (the percentages also got ridiculously improved, but that's another issue). It might be "fun" but it's not so fun for the victim to lose equipment this way. (My thieves never bothered trying to steal, they outright killed since thieves are a fighting class--three attacks, dual wield, enhanced damage, etc, and they're plenty powerful in the right hands. You just need a bit more discretion than with playing as a berserker, say.) You can always travel with someone and gank them dry while they're sleeping (a far more realistic way of doing the "befriend/steal" thing).

Like I've said, it takes no "balls" to steal/pry if you're willing to fight, since this willingness largely negates any penalties from failure. And many people (myself included) don't play thieves the way you do, DivSky--we're perfectly willing to fight, and thus shouldn't have such an exploitative use of steal/pry available to us.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much since once thief specializations go in, one of the possibilities is a style more focused on stealing to be able pull off what you've described (to some extent), albeit with some tradeoffs in other areas. I'm far more interested in dealing with the rambo thief problem in the meantime.

I already have several additional ways of cutting down on rambo thieving and promote more of the stealthy use of steal/pry in mind, but they're a little bit more involved than the current solution. As I've said in my initial post, this is just a minor bit of housekeeping for the time being.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: