Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 4 hours.

Recent changes (poison, plague, steal, pry).
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of the recent changes to poison, plague, steal, and pry?
I like the new versions better than the old versions.
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
I don't like the changes and prefer the way it used to be.
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
I like the poison/plague changes but dislike the steal/pry changes.
19%
 19%  [ 7 ]
I like the steal/pry changes but dislike the poison/plague changes.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
I have no opinion on this issue--just show me the results.
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 36

Clifton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject:

Sweet! When I kill ya, be sure to tell me Very Happy ... and it's called for. Last half a year of putting up with you and all.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Addreodyn wrote:
Actually, I've never had much problem with thieves either (although this may be because I play always play mages, so I don't care too much about my eq). But I still don't understand how you're killing all these thieves so "EASILY". Like I said before, it's not like a thief needs the element of surprise to land a blackjack. And the thief has the ability to escape better than most classes even without hide.

Well. It's simple really. I was cheating. I was really really good Wink
Truthfully though, on top of being completely mastered in EVERYTHING, hit a strangle, a blindness, poison, then nerve and caltrap, with hide being completely negated, I had a very dead thief on my hands.

Course, with the rest of the classes it's just a tad bit harder. Ninjas have always been my easiest thief killers and like I said, only one that Ever gave me problems was in legion.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject:

theObserver wrote:

But in an attempt to add something to this thread thieves vrs ninjas seem like a pretty fair fight to me

Very true. When both are skilled it's just about even, though ninjas are a bit better with their dusts and caltraps.

Last edited by GodOfWar on Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Shit up until the last point I hadnt realized he was talking about himself as a ninja being able to kill thieves. Jackass. Ofcourse some one with detect hidden will have a much better time of killing a thief. I think the current issue some people are having (myself included) is the inability to wake yourself from blackjack via poison. I know some will say this balances shit out, yet I know you can heal someone who is poisoned via a scroll of some type. Ask Nourrin. Little shit..

Least wise killing an avian/halfling thief as a monk, warrior, dark knight (even with fireball), paladin (yes little fucking halflings are being vicious again), druid, berserker is a bit more difficult than it was before. Well, alot more fucking difficult if the bastards only have to hide, blackjack steal alot of shit.. hide again and repeat the process when they are able to blackjack. Even a fire giant cant seem to be able to lag an avian for very long anymore, though it happens occasionally.. thieves are now one of the supreme classes against other fighter classes. Even against mages if you have the protections to ward off faerie fire.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Actually, with a monk it's fairly simple to kill a thief. Especially with sense. There are many ways to bring a thief out of hiding when you know he's there.

Defending against faerie fire Does make it a bit problematic for mages, but with area attack spells, and practice(mastery) it's really not that much of a problem.

The basic and most important defense is to stay aware and make sure you're not caught slipping in town. When there's an agressive thief in your range, town is one thing you don't want to hang around in for very long.

Of course, the Smart player will befriend at least a few of these sneaky bastards so that there's help when needed. That tactic has gotten MY ass out of a sling more times than I can count.

Thieves you have to understand, make many enemies, even within their own ranks. And honor amongst them only lasts until the right price is met. It's all tactics people. A simple skill such as blackjack isn't enough to make a thief a REAL threat against a good player in another class. A thief is just that, a Thief, not a fighter. Even though a lucky dual backstab could seriously ruin your day.
Like I said previously, thieves have only one chance before the element of surprise is gone to them. After that, game on.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Flying Hampster of Doom wrote:

Even a fire giant cant seem to be able to lag an avian for very long anymore, though it happens occasionally..

Fire giants warriors/zerkers are the ultimate n00b class. Bash, bash, rage, watch all the pretty stars...
The dex penalty seriously hampers bash against anything but all the other slow/dumb/large races.
Fire giant warrior/zerkers are the n00b training class. Unless you're Ug. Bastard. Everyone knows that. If you want to be a serious fighting class, pick something that actually stands a chance against all the other races/classes. I mean c'mon. Bashing crap only works until rank 25 or so, after that you're screwed.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Where exactly did personal opinion about which races are 'noob' races come into this discussion? "Fire giants are noob classes." What the hell do I care what is thought of as a newbie race/class selection? My point is that recently bashing and raging on anything is slightly less than it was before. I have played these classes recently and watched people bashed to death and watched them escape after a round of combat or so. As for area attacks, as sure as there are ways to bring a thief out of hiding there are other ways to make sure the person who uses said area attack is a dead man if they use said area attack near anything that can deal a bunch of damage. Best one isnt hyando, though everyone uses him, I prefer any of the shopkeepers in Liberty.

You are stuck on this 'thieves are easy if you are absolutely having everything go your way and all your buddy thieves just happen to be on and are willing to kill another neutral thief and basically be blasted from any pacts a thief can have with one another' thing. Yeah sure I have had thieves help me, been playing this game a long fucking time and have killed me fair share of thieves, yet the recent change will make it harder. Not impossible, you hear that not impossible, yet much much harder as you will get your ass blackjacked quite a bit more as thieves done have to be worried about whether or not you are poisoned.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm not saying that thieves and blackjacking can't be Extremely annoying at times, but if you seriously have a problem getting constantly blackjacked by thieves...well you just plain suck ass.

A thief should only be able to creep up and pull some sneaky shit on you once. If you're alert to your surroundings, and not trying to be a warlord, thieves are cake. All you gotta do is get your bash/faerie fire/trip/whatever off before they come in and sneak in their blackjack. If you get off the first attack, even if you fail the fire/trip/bash, they won't be able to get off the blackjack and will have to try again giving you another opportunity at your fire/trip/bash.
If you've been keeping aware of your surroundings you've noticed the little bastard trying to creep closer and closer to wherever the hell you might be doing your whatever the hell. And if you've been smart, and keeping away from town cuz you know the little thiefie is out there, you have the opportunity for the first attack and the initiative.
Now I'm getting tired of saying the same shit over and over, so if you really don't wanna listen, and use some common sense, go ahead... Run around getting your dumbasses blackjacked. You deserve it. This is the last time I'm gonna rehash this crap. Neutral

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject:

You are dumb. I dont know why I take the time some times, I shared my opinion with you and you are telling me I am not able to kill thieves and suck ass. I dont have time to deal with someone who tells me I have to do exactly what he says to kill a thief. I wait in town because I know that any thief worth is grain (and there for worth my time) is not going to follow me in the woods because he, unlike yourself, isnt a stupid mofo. My point, and I think I have made this perfectly clear up to this point, is that those of us who do follow the idealology that I practice (WHAT MORE THAN ONE!! AHHH RUN AWAY!) are probably going to have a harder time of it because of this recent change.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Flying Hampster of Doom wrote:

My point, and I think I have made this perfectly clear up to this point, is that those of us who do follow the idealology that I practice (WHAT MORE THAN ONE!! AHHH RUN AWAY!) are probably going to have a harder time of it because of this recent change.

True, all I'm saying is that there are other ways to compensate for the changes to poison/steal/whatever. It's really not as hard as you are all making it out to be. You just have to adjust your tactics to the new developments in the game. Warriors are getting worked on as well, so who knows, they might even get something to help against thievery. I'm not going to go over tactics anymore. I've done beat that horse into the ground, dug his ass up, and beat him down again.
I wasn't ranting on all the experienced players who already know how to deal with thieves and will be able to adjust, just those that had no clue except for the poison myself and cross my fingers tactic that they've seen from others.

0 0 0
Green Elephant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject:

I recall someone mentioning a way to make yourself instantly hungry a while ago on these boards. That may be the new "poison"

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject:

Actually, I was wrong about that. Dav says Hunger/thirst do not wake you from unnatural sleep.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: