Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 5 hours.

How many times have you rolled a dk, and let it go inactive

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many times have you rolled a dk, and let it go inactive at or below 40?
zero
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
1-2
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
3-5
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
6-9
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
10-14
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

Fireballe2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: How many times have you rolled a dk, and let it go inactive

Poll relating to the fact that I consisently notice people cycling dks from 1 to 30's ranks and then they're never heard from again.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject:

I have had two that I let go inactive but not because of the class, rather my changing mind about what I wanted to play. You're not going to get anywhere with this poll btw, DK's are fine just the way they are, you just can't play them is all. Very Happy

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject:

Nadrin wrote:
I have had two that I let go inactive but not because of the class, rather my changing mind about what I wanted to play. You're not going to get anywhere with this poll btw, DK's are fine just the way they are, you just can't play them is all. Very Happy

forgive me. I must not have the skills required. Since you succeeded so well at one, tell me how to play them. Do you have old logs of your character kicking ass? I'd enjoy reading them.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Fireballe2 wrote:
Nadrin wrote:

forgive me. I must not have the skills required. Since you succeeded so well at one, tell me how to play them. Do you have old logs of your character kicking ass? I'd enjoy reading them.

How about instead of constantly bitching about how underpowered your hobby horse class is and annoying everyone on the forums to the extent that people who may have been on your side (me) are now going to tell you to shut the fuck up about hybrids, how about you try something new.

If you've been sticking with only hybrids, you could benefit a lot from rolling up other classes and seeing what owns you. Take notes of what kills you and when you fight that class on another character, you can take advantage. And don't give me this "I play other classes" bullshit if you haven't taken them to 50.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Ergorion wrote:
Fireballe2 wrote:
Nadrin wrote:

How about instead of constantly bitching about how underpowered your hobby horse class is and annoying everyone on the forums to the extent that people who may have been on your side (me) are now going to tell you to shut the fuck up about hybrids, how about you try something new.

If you've been sticking with only hybrids, you could benefit a lot from rolling up other classes and seeing what owns you. Take notes of what kills you and when you fight that class on another character, you can take advantage. And don't give me this "I play other classes" bullshit if you haven't taken them to 50.

I really wanted this poll in the more noticeable battlefield or AR germaine forums. We consistently see people ranking dks up to 30's and then they disappear. How many people do that with warriors? Also, I'm asking you for advice on how to play them. People have demonstrated their belief in their viability, so I'd like them to say how to play them. the majority dont seem able to.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject:

My advice to you about how to play a dark-knight better is to play other classes at 50. Learn their weaknesses by dying then use the tactics other players used against you.

Maledictive spells I feel have been the most underutilized dark-knight skills. People generally aren't going to wear mal saves against a dk because most n00bs go for the lightning bolt/fireball spam. With curse, plague, and poison, that's a nice set right there. Curse lowering accuracy by 6 hurts; poison reducing dexterity by something like 7 will almost certainly lower their accuracy even more.

Dk's in cabals get the added perk of restorer wands. You see invokers running around healing a shitton with them and they don't even output that much melee damage.

With dk's getting dirt kick, trip and bash, you can really capitalize on an aura dropping. Especially with unholy strength. This entire game, no matter what your class, is about picking your moments. Why is Valox so effective? Because he doesn't like to fight uphill battles. If the first couple rounds don't go your way, reset. Wait until you have the upper hand and finish your prey.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject:

that last line is most important in an RNG game, and I agree. However,
Davairus wrote:

http://ar.invokation.net/logs/view.php?id=4971
- opening with the wrong spells (poison/curse give the other dude a FREE round of attacks in retaliation, see above comment) and also allowing one's self to be attacked first over and over and over and over, making a pretty easy-looking fight into a quite difficult struggle. why would he just let himself be attacked repeatedly like this?

disapproval of using mals. if you go through all the times davarius has spoken on the topic, I guess you could say I've tried it all the ways they've hinted at, but it hasn't worked out so well.

So, mals dont work, unless possibly a dk were to use those mals when sanc drops on the enemy, meaning that the choice is to flee or try to capitalize on someone who cast a mal, but you dont have sanc. Otherwise, I can only see it realistically working well in a position where the dk is already in the lead.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Davairus said use the mals, but don't initiate with them.

do this:
murder noob
cast curse

not this:
cast curse noob

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject:

What Olyn said. You obviously don't even know how to use dk spells properly and you're still complaining about them.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Davairus said use the mals, but don't initiate with them.

do this:
murder noob
cast curse

not this:
cast curse noob

Murder:
1.5 round lag.
damage done to them and to you.
victim flees and swaps weapons.
curse fails to land on someone who's not there.
repeat ad nauseum.

cast spell: 1 round lag, possible hit.
no damage done by either of you to either side.
player is now cursed.

Ergorion, you clearly understand how to play better than me. Please show me a log of how you did it. Im totally lost and you understand it.

I've done it both ways. You get more mileage out of casting a spell and doing unblockable damage, and then getting a round where you can flee and swap weapons, to cast more damage on them again. That has been my experience. sitting in combat trying to cast a mal makes as much sense to me as starting combat with a mal.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject:

From the log referenced earlier, which you obviously didn't read:
Code:
<605hp 370m 423mv>Taudon yells 'Die! Sarkoth, you sorcerous dog!'
Taudon turns slightly green, but it passes.
Taudon's turmoil devastates you!
You brace against your armor to perform a two-handed set parry.
[* ] You parry Taudon's turmoil.
Taudon is in excellent condition.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject:

yes, I read it.

when a round occurs for someone, the initiator gets a free round. When the next round occurs, both of you hit each other.

I have personal experience with this, as is proven by casting flame arrow on someone, you hit them, then the next round occurs.

If you cast a mal on them, you hit or miss, and the next round occurs altogether.

like this
Code:

curs ra
Ray looks very uncomfortable.
Ray's chop misses you.
Ray's chop misses you.
Your beating DISMEMBERS Ray!
Ray has some small wounds and bruises.

Here's lightning bolt.

Code:

libo sh
You fade into existence.
Your lightning bolt DISEMBOWELS Shargugh!
Shargugh has quite a few wounds.

Shargugh fades into existence.
Shargugh's pierce misses you.
Your beating maims Shargugh!
Your slice devastates Shargugh!
Shargugh looks pretty hurt.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject:

Wrong, because Ray doesn't have two attacks.

Code:
 curs ra
Ray looks very uncomfortable.
Ray's chop misses you.      <---end of initiation round where only vicitm gets attacks
Ray's chop misses you.      <---beginning of next round where both parties get attacks
Your beating DISMEMBERS Ray!
Ray has some small wounds and bruises.

In case you're wondering, that could be 5 free attacks from someone with dual wield and third attack before you get off your first attack, the same as if they murdered you.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject:

5? I think its 7 for dual wield. Oh wait you said third attack only.

Fireballer, make sure you are taking into account the timing of the round. It will occur every 3 seconds no matter what. That means it can occur at the same time as you murder. This makes classes with stronger autoattacks potentially extremely bursty. For example a warrior can murder someone and straight up do 14 attacks on them right away. That's like, 1000 damage in one go, before dodge/parry etc. Might be so unlikely that you personally never saw it, but it definitely happens to people. Its what makes full red dragon/hell-blade etc such a big problem in low levels. The damage is high but the max hp is low, so you don't need a stars-aligning event to obliterate someone. You just need a bit of luck and them to have no sanc.

Frankly I'm surprised more people don't notice it. There's really nothing I can do about that other than give people who get attacked the first chance to retaliate, but they'd still eat two rounds.. a player that could hit those consistently would rape the whole playerbase including me.

Hmm, actually I thought of a fix, but I'll leave it be since its been like that 10 years.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Well thats pretty much my opinion. Classes with more autoattacks that benefit from just gathering EQ are naturally strong, and a good RNG makes them pwn. Classes that are naturally less strong require the RNG to go your way, both offensively and for classes with fourth attack to be given poor RNG performance, in order to be competitive. I have always suspected this as the reason for the steamrolling niche warrior types give other classes.

give classes with dual parry and fourth attack later ranks to learn those, and it'll downgrade their early rank power without harming the class overall.

Id point out that this is the reason for the pip type playstyle with shaman or healers. If you fail a mal, bail and reset.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject:

Fireballe2 wrote:

Id point out that this is the reason for the pip type playstyle with shaman or healers. If you fail a mal, bail and reset.

Hmmm. Pip happens to be one of the best pkers in the game... I wonder if you should try it.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject:

you DO understand that "best pker in the game" comes qualified with "if fail to get RNG to go your way and get a mal off first try, run far away, heal up, and repeat infinite times until you get lucky".

I made that clear. He's "the best" because he stacks the odds in his favor by doing this. I was making the point that classes and/or races with much more fragility in defense and hp are prone to get owned by beef classes and races that get good RNGs, and only even out fights by abusing RNG for all its worth with pip-style play.

In essence, anyone who attacks and then runs off if the first few rounds of RNG dont OVERWHELMINGLY favor them are playing pip-style. I used to do that with an uncaballed ill-ill and on logboards comments were made like "with this guy, he's pretty much fleeing all the time unless he's completely dominating". back in 2005 it was. I know how to play that game.

Like Dav pointed out, if someone gets a good RNG with a warrior, especially at lower ranks, that's a ton of damage dished out for a class that's relatively easy to prep. Why do you think people pick fighter classes 95% of the time? Low prep time, rock and roll mode class, solo ranking is easy, and all it takes is one good initiate. No casting class can dump a torrent of damage by RNG swinging their way. 7 dismembers is more damage then one oblit.

I don't really think Im explaining anything new or foreign to anyone. This stuff is the major reason for dirt kick faceplants, word blind headsmacks, and hobble or skills that provide huge damage AND lag an opponent in a single shot. To force confrontations to end in more deaths rather than just rinse/repeat.

Thanks for the condescension and general bitterness/nonconstructiveness in your posts, though.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Fireballe2 wrote:
No casting class can dump a torrent of damage by RNG swinging their way. 7 dismembers is more damage then one oblit.

Do you even play this game? Have you seen the dps that illusionists and necromancers can pull with full charmies? Sure a warrior can get 8 attacks on you, but unless you're a n00b you're going to have sanc up. Those two mage classes dispelling at the right time can dish crazy amounts of damage. You say you've played an illusionist, you should know. I one rounded multiple people on my illusionist because I got them without aura. For an illu, three charmies with third attack gives the potential for nine attacks not counting the ill's own. It's been a while since I've studied math, but I think 9>8.

Quote:
Thanks for the condescension and general bitterness/nonconstructiveness in your posts, though.

Any time.

0 0 0
Fireballe2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject:

you're talking about at 50. Good on you to basically disregard this entire discussion.

Quote:
This makes classes with stronger autoattacks potentially extremely bursty. For example a warrior can murder someone and straight up do 14 attacks on them right away. That's like, 1000 damage in one go, before dodge/parry etc. Might be so unlikely that you personally never saw it, but it definitely happens to people. Its what makes full red dragon/hell-blade etc such a big problem in low levels. The damage is high but the max hp is low, so you don't need a stars-aligning event to obliterate someone. You just need a bit of luck and them to have no sanc.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: