Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 11 hours.

Protection, Oath, and rotdeath
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikoos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Protection, Oath, and rotdeath

Protection and oath just need to be thrown out the window. We should just make knights blood thirsty witch burners who go around destroying all evil. Legions should be going around destroying everything. The reason I say this is because I suck at pking. I'll admit it. I'm two people from being in last place in the ratings. There's nothing worse than seeing a protected standing in front of you talking about how awesome they are and you can't fight them. If they want to role play, maybe they can become a legionairre's slave, or be constantly on the run, staying behind the knights whenever possible. and it's not like we don't roleplay pk-wise.

On to rotdeath on gambled gear...whoever thought of this needs to be drug out onto the streets, and then hung, drawn and quartered. There's nothing worse than spending 1.5 million coins for a good item (+4 hit or dam) and then mowed down a few minutes later and watch it rot before your very eyes. it's not like players can't loot corpses or sacrifice items...so why have rotdeath? I view gambled gear as the only way to make 'the jump' equipment wise to take on pip-like players and having your gear rot before you are built up enough..is a very annoying feature of the game. Winter trips are fun, personally I don't like relying on groups of people to build my character equipment-wise, but they can be fun. I might try to do that as soon as I can find a group to rank to 50 with.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject:

Regarding first point, both systems have their pro's and con's. New system at least you get a reason given for being sacked and full looted. I think I preferred it the other way myself but we don't hear as much complaints this way. Also, not sure about oath, but there have been a lot of stooge protected character that made trouble for Knights. They provided a contract stream for Legion to devour if nothing else. Why dont you just try joining Legion..?

For second point, I think that only applies to the "wild" gambled items.... right?

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Why dont you just try joining Legion..?

He is legion.

Quote:
For second point, I think that only applies to the "wild" gambled items.... right?

Keeper items do too.

Protection. I think it is a rather annoying system for pkers and a far too safe system for non-pkers. Most legion are soft when it comes to getting items from protected, opting to have potential winter groups (that rarely happen) instead of getting all of the items they could from protected (which happens a lot.) Rarely do you see a legion revoking and killing protecteds for not complying.

Oath. The only difference between oath and protection is.... You have to ask people to get oath, more than once... then you can start trying to kill them. So. "if you don't do as I ask I will kill you." vs "I will kill you to do as I ask." not much of a difference really. The time it takes to ask also ruins most chances you have to fight. Since most people are weak asses and quit out at the first sign of potential trouble, or just sit in their guilds like ass hats (that is a seperate issue I think.) So knights are politely bloodthirsty and legion are not so polite. Seems to easy to compare them.

My thought would be to either remove the system all together. Or make some Heavy changes to it to make it more seperated. If the idea to change it and not get rid of it was taken, you would have to make sure you don't dumb down pk even more. (reference to people quiting)

The only benefit to the systems the way they are is that newbies can survive a little bit longer... sometimes.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I definitely agree that protection and oath can be aggravating at times. It becomes more of a problem when one of the cabals has a dominant control over the lands when everyone starts oathing or purchasing protection depending on who's in power.

At the same time, I do think it serves a purpose. It gives Heralds and Mystics the option for the safety that should come with their positions and it gives newbies the chance to avoid the wrath of caballed players and fight against uncaballed people who may be closer to their skill level.

Protection also does result in contracts for Legions to collect and with protection expiring weekly, gives them more cabal funds as individuals have to keep re-purchasing. Oath doesn't give lightwalkers any perks really, I think fewer people in general choose to take the oath if they're interested in pk at all because it cuts out a huge population of eligible targets whereas individuals under protection can still attack most of the playerbase.

In terms of rotdeath items, there's a simple solution if you don't like your items poofing--don't buy rotdeath items. The point behind rotdeath gambled items is that they are cheaper than their longevitous counterparts, so you can get a better rotdeath item with less effort than you can a long-standing one. Plus, if you die with an awesome rotdeath item, there is no way for your killer to use that against you in the future.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Why dont you just try joining Legion..?
...ow my pride Lol. I have no idea what the old system was like? I always thought evils at 50 (and who are in Legion) don't need that much of a reason to full loot somebody? I like the cabals where they are rule-wise. except for the oath/protection issue. I think some of their powers are shotty, I know some work and some don't. last I heard shadow blend was being worked on. which is a genius skill btw, every cabal should have one like it. Mostly I just join cabals for defender potions.

I still have no idea why wild armor is wild. weapons I can understand. they are a guaranteed good weapon to have, and they are fairy cheap to obtain. but there is no guarantee when trying to buy rotdeath armor. if I decide to not buy rotdeath gear, then that severely limits what slots of equipment I can gamble. price isn't an issue at all, if one can barter and haggle the price down to 10,000 coins, then you're good. That can be done even for gear at 20,000. gambled gear shouldn't cost more than 20,000 per try however.

Having rotdeath gear so that your opponent won't obtain it if they kill you just seems lame. I mean, I would like to take someone else's gear if I killed them, and if they killed me and took my gear, I would like to have a chance to kill them later on and gain it back. and if they are killing a ton of people odds are they won't want your gear, because they are already decked. I've seen Valox just auction rares and sacrifice them, simply because he already has good gear and doesn't need them.

I guess my main complaint is that I am stuck in a mathematical limbo, I'm really stuck in numbers, and the system doesn't seem designed to get me out of the hole. I'm on the low end of the bell curve for dice rolls... and I can't get on the higher end, because everyone else has the gear for the higher end.

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Mikoos wrote:
I'm on the low end of the bell curve for dice rolls... and I can't get on the higher end, because everyone else has the gear for the higher end.

This is why it is the first priority of cabal members to get to 50 (barring being invaded upon). Once you're at 50, the bell curve problem you're facing now will look much different. I know the frustration you're feeling being at the bottom of the PK rankings, a place I languished in for what seems like ever. Stick it out, get to 50, that's where your fun will really be felt. And if your cabal mates aren't around enough to do their duty of helping you get to 50, send them a nastygram. But, the pbase is low these days so I think this is a common problem across the board.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject:

The wild items are rotdeath because:

A) They are cheaper to buy (not just lower price.. favorable rolls so less attempts before payoff).
B) They require "chaotic" which has the lightest restrictions on their pk'ing, so there's a need for an additional drawback for dying.
C) And this is true for other chaotic-only items.. the fact they can be looted and used by the opposite alignment (e.g. knight kills legion, starts using his gear) is pretty unsavory. We want to curb that with gambled loot.

You have plenty other options.. evermore is simply better anyway, forging items is slow but consistent, some gambler in underworld? Or get some rares. The point being, its fine. Supplement your gear with it, don't try to depend on wild suits.

For protection, I'm not so sure you guys have really the experience to tell that we're better off with it than without, but as a refresher, pre-protection the average lifespan of a newly inducted Legion was two weeks. That's two weeks from induction until rage delete. The thing is, as I was saying, you have other players acting as Legion's stooges, protecteds are almost like a coterie in that regard. If someone is obviously just buying it to hide from pk'ing, what's the problem? Revoke it, and murder him. That's what its for. If you don't have the rank to revoke, then this is simply a patience issue.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject:

Also, if the "good" rares aren't in, you can grab some of the high level rares that are around and imbue them as a cheaper form of gambling.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with what mostly everyone is saying there really aren't issues with protection or oath. Most people at 50 that are active are looking to pk. The great thing about protection is legion doesn't really face coffer issues generally speaking. 20k for an applicant, 20k for protection most cabals when ever I join them, coffers are so low its terrible. Usually I just end up depositing my own money just to buy scrolls or defenders.

What I would like to see is more players actually attacking justices and less hiding in town. The fear to lose eq shouldn't ever cross the mind of a cabaled player or even to finish a kill for that matter. What would be interesting to see with this change is removing the special guard from the equation at lvl 50. The only cabal that really gets any pk benefits is keepers provided that person is insanely geared, all other cabals you pretty much fight with the skills you inherit.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Or get some rares

rarely rares in. (maybe I have shit luck, but when you don't even see crap rares, its pretty bad. it leaves two or three power suits, and everyone else gimped)

Quote:
Revoke it, and murder him.

The issue here is most legions are pussies. with Ikaork I revoked three or four people in one day... one just for acting like an idiot to me. So, you have legions wanting winter groups for leet rares instead of flexing their power. Also, I won't play a semantics game on this... like how allowing them to live is showing power over them... blah blah. please.

Quote:
pre-protection the average lifespan of a newly inducted Legion was two weeks.

I remember this, because I had two or three cabal chars in a very, very short time. I also remember actually condieing a char or two. I also remember having a lot more fun when I had people to fight instead of logging on my legion and seeing only protected people in range for multiple log ons.

Quote:
attacking justices and less hiding in town

I did this, multiple times, with ikaork. I am the only non pussy legion in a long time.

Quote:
removing the special guard from the equation at lvl 50

Despite the overwhelming power of a special guard. not only can it attack for you (apprehend), it autoassists, and can rescue. Astounding. I have advocated this for a while, sadly, it won't change.

0 0 0
kammkala6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Just revoke every protection you see. People will stop buying it, atleast until you delete. More targets instantly.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject:

deadzero wrote:

I did this, multiple times, with ikaork. I am the only non pussy legion in a long time.

Why'd you delete?

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Dav stated that he wanted Justice (special guards) there for a reason. The members of justice are there for a few reason.

1. Protect Newbies. After all Tiqa and Iolo have to have a place to go right?

2. Protect Heralds and Mystics, and add another Cabal dynamic to the game that way you don't just have me good you evil scenarios, you have other things two.

3. It just makes sense to have lawman, and people to hunt bountied criminals. Every society has its own form of Police, or law enforcement. As a civilian I can buy any class 1 firearm I want basically. Law enforcement(at least here) have their sidearm, (handgun of some sort) a Riot shotgun, and usually a full auto (like an M4) in their trunk. I remember recently reading in the newspaper about a ft worth Police officer leaving his loaded full auto M4 sitting on the trunk of his squad car while going into a bank or something. (oops?) Not to mention police officers get special training that most people usually can't get.

4. Its another avenue of rp, and they put a twist in it allowing evil justices instead of forcing it to be a purely neutral cabal. Makes total sense, if you have seen things like Police officers and criminals psych reports being nearly identical. Police officers just have permission to act that way rofl.

Rant done.

(ps, Tiqa, Iolo, I didn't mean it I still love you both)

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:

As to main topic, you can still get non wild, non rotdeath gambled armor for every slot. You just have to know where to find it and have to be willing to pay the extra cost. The wild rotdeath stuff gets you stronger gambleds for a cheaper price then otherwise. If you die a lot, you should never buy rotdeath gear. At 50 you can even buy conquest stuff which is really decent (it does rotdeath) but you buy a certain type and the stats are all the same so its not like your spending a million gold to get an entire suit.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject:

I don't think anyone has a problem with the existence of a justice cabal, but why do justices get a helping hand to kill someone in their pk. No other cabal gets a 2v1 advantage like that. It makes sense to have guards when the justice can't fight them, but it should be to the level of the criminal. Personally when I have had to kill a justice at 50, I had no problem doing it, but rangers are great for that kind of a fight. Other classes, not so much.

As far as newbs getting picked off, you don't earn any respect for killing less skilled players and we all know who they are instantly once the fight begins. Protection and oath really does do the intended purpose of helping newbs get to 50 and learn without getting mowed every chance someone gets the itch to pad their record. But the abuse of it comes from players that are decked out and don't want to fight anyone, or they can choose their fights when they feel like it. That is the obvious problem.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject:

Dav stated in a post (couldn't find it to quote) that Special guards were the way they were and would stay that was so that newbs had a safe haven. To promote a place where no matter what they could be safe. Special guards are OP on purpose to ensure that even an incompetent justice stands a decent chance against killing wanted/bountied criminals to protect said new players so they don't just get killed over and over again and stop playing. Thats the biggest reason for their OPness. Now take Lorana. Lorana was the most difficult criminal I ever had to face as a Justice and ensnare/special guard did nothing for me. In the end it took turning her trap against her (two on one in winter with ensnare and double special guard) to kill her. After that it was cheese because she was naked. No one else I can name I ever had any trouble with once they were flagged because it was just ensnare smash. Take Ikaork since Deadzero mentioned him here. Him and Graulog were both wanted/bountied in town when I logged in one day. I slaughtered them both in under 5 minutes, but then later on (different day) I actually lost to Ikaork in a head to head fight. Means a lot. Justices aren't meant to be easy kills by wanteds, still there are certain classes who excel at that. Like Eidren wasn't he bountied for a month or so? I think it was Ruch that killed him in the end too so not a special guard.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Yes, newbs need a safe haven. That being said, I don't think that newbs need two avenues of save havens. by adding protection/oath it partially did away with the need for justices. Imagine if legion and knight actually had people to fight in town (and were actually willing to do it.) Chaos ensues, you have more wanted people, in turn, more justices, more fighting, more fun.

people who do what I said earlier. Log off or sit in guild at first time of trouble. I also want to point out that it isn't just newbs or under equipped players sitting in guilds, if anything it is quite the opposite. I have had more enemies that are decked/powerful sit in guild so that to fight them you have to fight the guild guardian too and, incase you haven't noticed, guild guardians are stout mofos.

as a side not, I should point out that being wanted is not just fighting the justice and a leet guard, you have tons of mobs all over thera that autoattack you, slowing you down, injuring you, annoying you. You can't buy anything of course, no arrows, no javelins, no gambling, so on. it is a massive self fucking to get wanted intentionally these days.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Well, A solution of making Legion and Knights outlaws was suggested. Would force pk with Justice, and take away their protection in town. Would create a lot more chaos.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I've said getting wanted flag is a waste of energy for the most part for all the reasons stated. Justice isn't built on even ground so as the player base numbers fluctuate and player trends change their cabal has to be changing also. With low player numbers justice doesn't need to maintain all of their advantages. Otherwise the cabal members just get bored and no one wants to play with them.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, A solution of making Legion and Knights outlaws was suggested. Would force pk with Justice, and take away their protection in town. Would create a lot more chaos.

not sure how this is a solution, they will still get wanted for attacking town sitters.

How did we stray from the oath/protection topic to justice?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: