Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 23 hours.

Update to fishing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Update to fishing

Players may now go fishing without carrying around a rod and bait. To fish from an acceptable place, simply 'cast' and you'll work with the materials around you. Your chances of catching more exotic varieties may be increased by using proper fishing rods and bait.

Code:
cast
You tie a worm onto a nearby stick.
You cast off, and the line lands in the nearby water.

A soft pull on the line advises you to start reeling soon.

reel
You begin steadily reeling in the line.

You reel in a light-grey trout.

0 0 0
Dispater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject:

Fish should give temporary "food buffs" also make butcher available for everyone who is carrying a butchering knife!

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject:

was carrying around a fishing rod too inconvenient?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject:

Yes. Fishing wasn't getting used, despite being an easy food source and source of surprise items.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Olyn wrote:
Yes. Fishing wasn't getting used, despite being an easy food source and source of surprise items.

To be honest, I don't think fishing will get too much use anyway. For younger players, ranking and fighting will take over. For older players, farming gold/training will be more worth their time. For newbies who don't get the ticks yet and for most people, it's generally going to be easier just to buy from the shop or get limbs from mobs.

Fishing is something old men do while drinking beer. I think the only way to gain interest in it is to have some perk to make it worthwhile, not just making it more convenient.

I think Devorast did something with fish for a little bit. Monster resistance potions or something. Resistance potions are cheap enough that it's not worth fishing for them. If you upped it to repulsions or beasties, then I think you might start seeing some opportunistic fishers.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject:

To my recollection fishing was before Devorast. Anyway Ergorion is correct in his observation. Priorities come first, and for anyone pre 50 who is going to go fishing they'll be ranking or training skills instead. I've done the fishing and the "rewards" don't hold a candle to afk training in your guild hall.

You should integrate fishing more into gameplay. Let fishing do more, make potions when you bring them to the potion shop. Or have fishing be an alternative form of ranking. Small amounts of exp per successful catch, more exp. for rarer fish. You can try loading up rare items, so similar to killing an NPC if the rare is available there'll be a small chance of fishing for it in the right lake. Or better yet, if you fish in the right place there's a chance for a rare mob catch that you kill and then can loot for its rare items. Integrate fishing into quests. Allow rogues to use fish to create various poisons, include fish in more imbue recipes, create more recipes!

Taking the need for a rod away doesn't make any sense to me.

Since I touched on quests tho, no exp past lvl 30 is just silly imo. Reduced makes sense, no exp at all is silly. Granted 48-50 on an hour worth of quests was overdoing it, but this new change is too imo. That is just my two cents on that. Sorry to threadjack just was meaning to comment on that.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Switch that first sentence

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't expect the rewards of fishing to increase drastically, but I can say that nobody has found everything there is to find with it yet. Also, fishing will be more fully integrated into an upcoming area. So far, all I did was remove one of the reasons not to fish.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject:

I apologise for making fishing inaccessible and tiring to use. It was my bad - I won't make a mistake like that again. Fishing should be very casual and easy to use during downtime. We will endeveor to put fishing near your levelling rest spots so you can do it while your groupmates are kipping.

Quote:

integrate fishing more into gameplay. Let fishing do more, make potions when you bring them to the potion shop. Or have fishing be an alternative form of ranking. Small amounts of exp per successful catch, more exp. for rarer fish. You can try loading up rare items, so similar to killing an NPC if the rare is available there'll be a small chance of fishing for it in the right lake. Or better yet, if you fish in the right place there's a chance for a rare mob catch that you kill and then can loot for its rare items. Integrate fishing into quests. Allow rogues to use fish to create various poisons, include fish in more imbue recipes, create more recipes!

1 thing here - exp for fishing is dangerous because its scriptable. Other than that, these are good suggestions and we will try to use all of them. However I don't want to put Olyn on that task .. I want it to trickle down toward Vanisse. If we can get it done that way, then it'll happen. Olyn's a bit solace-happy at the moment whereas Vanisse is much more accustomed to me telling her to spread that love all over Thera, and I think that's the best for the time being.

There is a possibility of fishing up the trinket of lady luck - I'm not sure if that has ever happened because I didn't put in anything to track it =p but if people were fishing non-stop and didn't delete, they would have gotten one by now.

Quote:

also make butcher available for everyone who is carrying a butchering knife!

It feels like sarcasm, but I would actually be ok with that as long as its something like a ranger crafts the butchering knife for other players, and making it would demand mats that require killing other players. And it would be rotdeath on top, so absolutely a rare trade-only item. Let me take a rain check on this idea - we'll come back to look at it later.

0 0 0
Frostburns

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I have some comments on fishing:

You can occasionally get chests of coins (3000 coins each). I believe Narcana listed a recipe on invokation at one point about an elixir of seeking from Devorast. Presumably, this recipe requires a fish and is different than the other recipes. It sounds like it would provide a good bonus to hitroll (after all, there are dragonwing items of seeking).

You can get the crystalline seeds from Winter as well. These aren't totally useless, since I ended up getting some sort of book from one I dropped. 2 wis, 2 int, adds detect_magic affect, held item, meltdrop rotdeath and some other undesirable property for an item I think. Not great unless you really need wisdom and intelligence for some reason, but it's unique and certainly an interesting item (though why would someone below level 15 be able to get it?)

You can also get some other neat items. Items from holidays in past years, the red balloon shaped like Burzuk, one of Niusan's cigars, and others. I remember seeing a certain Noble wearing a soft, fluffy white towel one time and when I asked about it she said she had caught it while fishing.

All you need to know to become proficient at fishing is when to reel it in after the line tugs. I typically wait 27 seconds, then reel it in. (Time between ticks is between 25 and 35 seconds, and 27 has worked for me most of the time. So long as you do it some time BEFORE the tick, and the tick occurs before you've totally reeled it in, you'll catch something.)

Making it give experience is a bad idea in my opinion. While I am a fan of having alternatives to hack-and-slash for gaining levels and experience, I don't like making it that easy. I suppose every time you catch a new type of fish, you could get a very small amount of experience. This can't really be abused too heavily. If you manage to complete the Catch of the Day, perhaps you could gain a small amount of experience in addition to the coins. I've not seen anybody, myself included, actually complete that task, and if it's not too high it's not worth scripting.

I'd say more on the alternative forms of experience, but that's not on-topic.

0 0 0
Eloret
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Giving you exp for fishing isn't a terrible idea, even if you made it useful only to lower levels. Say it offered experience until rank 20 or 25 or something. Doesn't even need to be all that much experience. My thought would be to gage what a typical group of two could get for exp per tick and make it some percentage of the typical average exp for a tick. This would help those mage classes that have trouble before monster potions. Plus if you just make it a possibility and not a sure thing to get exp everytime you catch something it would be such a slow way to rank it likely wouldn't be used for it in most cases.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If you manage to complete the Catch of the Day, perhaps you could gain a small amount of experience in addition to the coins. I've not seen anybody, myself included, actually complete that task, and if it's not too high it's not worth scripting.

Can anybody please inform me of what this is?

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject:

What happens when you task at boat dealer in Seringale. He gives you a task and you have to catch a certain type of fish. You get like 1300 hours or something to do it.

0 0 0
Tiqa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject:

I was waiting, hoping to post to say I caught the big one, but sadly no bites yet. Rod or no rod doesn't make a difference to my fishing.

Thanks Frostburns for you 27 sec theory. Gives me hope, might just catch one yet.

0 0 0
Tiqa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject:

Finally I caught my first fish the other day. It was thrilling! Thanks Beljia.

I know fish are a low fat protein but they do not provide much lasting nourishment in the game. I ate about 4 or 5 of them and I was hardly full. Would it be possible to bump up the fullness factor on fish to make it more worthwhile, especially considering the effort and risk to catch one versus buying from a shop.

This is a different topic, but the food from town to town has different fullness. So it would be nice if the fish could be like Darkhaven cakes or Seringale food.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject:

Yes, we can bump up the fullness. I think its ok to have it possible to get effective food this way, since there is already a time investment.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject:

I added more information to Undulav's Catch of the Day task. The gold reward is also scaled by level.

Code:
Undulav the boat dealer says 'Today's catch of the day is a sky-blue carp, worth 11620 gold coins!'
Undulav the boat dealer says 'They are tough to catch. Try fishing in rivers near large lakes.  Good luck!'

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: