Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 1 day, 15 hours.

The "new" Knights
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozzy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: The "new" Knights

Alright, as everyone knows Knights have been changed recently. Now, Illusionists and Monks have been completely omitted from what they'll accept and Legion will accept anything evil. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me like that's really messing with the balance of the two. I understand the concept of why Monks and Ills can't be in there. Because monks are devoted to their meditation and what not and Ills are into deceiving people and stuff. But, I still don't think that's any reason to give em' the boot. What does everyone else think?

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject:

A while ago I had a temporary mental break down (perhaps permenant who knows!!!) and I had said some things I had come to regret afterwards but the damage was done. As such I have not touched on this subject for some time, but having played a few knights, I know just a bit, maybe even just a smidgen about knights. I have heard the reasons for the loss of Monks, Thieves, Illusionists and Ninjas. I think a few of those are a crock of hooey. I base this thought firstly on Monks; Monks are dedicated to Meditation. So should a knight be dedicated to Meditation, in all things of the light. Yet when I brought this up, I was told that it is a different meditation completely and they cant properly protect the cabal given their type of meditation is too 'deep'. Okay... I can accept that. Yet. If that is true than Legion should also not be allowed to have monks as their 'meditation' is too deep to protect their cabal.
Illusionists; This was based on their deceiving nature, which in and of itself I can understand... yet it creates, as was stated before, it destroys balance in anyway.
Thieves; Again, they hide and thieve. Hence their not allowed in to the knights, yet in the way of balance if legion gains a thief the knights are screwed. We haven't got detections in any early points of knighthood.
Ninjas; See Above.

So that leaves Knights with; Paladin, Healer, Warrior, Druid, Ranger, Berserker, Invoker, Psionicist. (am I missing any here)
Legion has; Dark Knight, Necromancer, Illusionist, Warrior, Druid, Ranger, Berserker, Thief, Ninja, Monk, Invoker, Psionicist.

That is a four class descrepancy. Again I have to say that my agreement or not is immaterial. But back in the days of my first knight things were even, (despite Resatimms bitching about stallions) and their were always ways of winning one way or the other, the knights and legion had their pendalum swing just like always, so at some points legion was in charge and at others the knights led the field. Yet it was even.

The one change I can say I am glad for is the losing of squireship, rather it was placed as the first rank in knights. It makes more sense to do so in my mind.

As for skills I know a few were lost and a few were gained and I will not go into detail about them as I have given enough away. But I find that the legion lead the knights in the *cooler* and some times more useful skills.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject:

about cabals, skills and things are of course important to balance, but i think the balance is really controlled by the imms that lead the cabals. they choose who get in and who doesn't, and as long as they have enough willing players, they can make their cabals super buff, weak, or just right.

however about ills not being able to get into knights, that could potentially cause some serious disadvantages...

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
they choose who get in and who doesn't, and as long as they have enough willing players, they can make their cabals super buff, weak, or just right

1) At the 35th rank, you can't always tell who's going to be "super buff" if and when they reach their pinnacle.
2) Also, someone might write a great application letter and give a good interview and all that, but once they're in they could start jacking around and doing stupid things.
3) No matter what power the Imms have over admitting/denying applicants, they can't in any way control the frequency and length of those players' showing up in-game. Just because someone gets a character caballed doesn't mean that they're going to play that character 24/7; they might get caballed and come on every now and then to keep the attention off of them, but then play and rank their other characters.

With the Knights not letting monks or illusionists in, they simply have to work harder to train the 'best of the best,' and be a bit more picky with their choices. Monks' lives are usually devoted to defending the monastery, and like mentioned above, the meditation keeps them from defending things like the Castle very quickly. Illusionists should be an easy one; their lives are full of deceit and trickery. Their roles go against the Twelve Virtues and the innate "good nature" that a Knight should embody.

Personally, I don't think the class issue matters a whole lot right now. Losing Eleanor, Keryth and Tristen is hurting the Knights enough as it is. Whether it's healers, paladins or invokers, the Knights just need to worry about warm bodies right now. Granted, Aldlen left the Legion, but there's still a bit of a balance issue between those two cabals right now, monks/illusionists or not.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject:

[quote] With the Knights not letting monks or illusionists in, they simply have to work harder to train the 'best of the best,' and be a bit more picky with their choices.

I would love to think that we could, but from everything I have heard and all the people I know whom are relatively skilled characters, it is a general concensus that Legion is overpowered or knights are underpowered.. one of the two.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject:

(This isn't meant to put down anybody in Legion, it's just an opinion.)

I think it's "harder" to play a Knight than a Legion, simply for the fact that you've got 'rules' to stick to. Legionnaires have their own guidelines as well, but they're less confined to the "fair fight syndrome" that Knights have to kinda stick to.

It might be that reason, and not that one or the other is 'overpowered'. I don't know... just throwing something out there.

0 0 0
Enskel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Sebryn wrote:
Losing Eleanor, Keryth and Tristen is hurting the Knights enough as it is. Whether it's healers, paladins or invokers, the Knights just need to worry about warm bodies right now. Granted, Aldlen left the Legion, but there's still a bit of a balance issue between those two cabals right now, monks/illusionists or not.

What? Those four left? I don't have enough time to seriously play a character, and now I won't even get to read any good cabal warfare logs, most likely. Bummer.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: The "new" Knights

Rozzy wrote:
Alright, as everyone knows Knights have been changed recently. Now, Illusionists and Monks have been completely omitted from what they'll accept and Legion will accept anything evil. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me like that's really messing with the balance of the two. I understand the concept of why Monks and Ills can't be in there. Because monks are devoted to their meditation and what not and Ills are into deceiving people and stuff. But, I still don't think that's any reason to give em' the boot. What does everyone else think?

Umm those are just the rp reasons, the actual reasons are gameplay ones. They're problematic combos. Its easy to criticize the rp reasons, but I challenge anyone to come up for sound reasoning as to how illusionists and monks on stallions can possibly be balanced without changing the skill (to the detriment of every other Knight class on a stallion, naturally).

0 0 0
Rozzy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply

I don't see a problem with illusionists on stallions if invokers can. I understand why monks wouldn't be able to ride stallions, so how about monks just aren't able to ride the stallions. If I had a good (both in align and a good pk'er) monk I would apply to Knights even though I wouldn't be able to ride a stallion.

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Re:

I was about to say you forgot about bards, but they arn't supposed to pk. Heres a good cabal question, why can't monks join warlords? They have no spells at all, they may be a little 'cheap' (8 or so attacks a round ranging from 'devestates' to 'DISEMBOWLS' is a little cheap), Maybe thier meditation is too 'deep'. Warlords fight with honor and with NO MAGIC, monks have no spells; if you say chii or sense movement is a spell, you are wrong; wariors, rangers, and berserkers get warcry and berserk (rangers don't, but they get barkskin) which is a spell effect.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I don't see a problem with illusionists on stallions if invokers can.

Invoker:

mace (parrys nicely)
second attack (helps melee a bit)
hellstream (nerfed by save aff)
dispel magic (prevented by save mental)
ice shield (only hits if you were hit that round)

Illusionist:

staff (parrys nicely, hits hard)
second attack (helps melee a bit)
haste (doubles damage output of both illusionist and stallion)
colour spray (nerfed by save aff)
dispel magic (prevented by save mental)
duplicate (an onslaught of physical damage, that lags, tanks and disarms)
blur (directly dodges melee attacks)
spells like terrain and misdirection

Do you see the problem yet?

Quote:

how about monks just aren't able to ride the stallions

I've thought about that but I think it'd just lead to more complaints down the line. Rather restrict the combo and keep everything consistent (i.e. if you have the skill stallion, you can use it)

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Re:

Gygh wrote:
why can't monks join warlords?

warlords fight with weapons.. hence ranks with names like "blademaster".

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject:

As much as I agree with you on the idea that in some situations illusionists on stallions can be overpowered, I fail to see how monks can be overpowered in these situations. No defense in the world can save you from a axe of mace wielding zerker or warrior, besides which they bash you off of your stallion. As a monk, (Keistenmen and Eires) I never used the bloody things, reason being you cant trip off of the back of the beast (obviously) and as such it made the game play fair. I think the only time I ever used a stallion was A) trips through winter B) In Shadar c) Or just to show off that I had a stallion Wink

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject:

Simple... if it's a monk in defensive drunken stance, you got, 1st parry, 2nd parry, dodge (arguably the best skill in the game), evade, dodge (#2), and now another dodge-esque skill. 6 defenses... thats more than necros get pets... Add in a few decent items.. consistant and even boosted damage/attacks per round (w/ horse). Sure you lose trip... but cripes, 6 defenses, more damage and attacks, all you really need is to be able to track.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject:

consider this:

begin with a monks basic damage
add damage with anatomy
add tiger stance
add a beast damroll (caballed monks get very powerful eq)
add whatever spiritual mantra gives on top for added power
now you've got your base damage, unless i left out something, do some hits
hit 3 times a round (ever tried a monk? they do this on average)
about 1/3 of those hits, like the tiger uppercut, come out extra hard
total = sick damage
add dirt to screw over the defences of almost everyone
add the air thrash/trip combination so there's nobody in the game that can't be lagged

This can easily end up a three round kill on a mage, which is bad enough. Want to fight that with a mage? Probably not. A warrior on the other hand can block most of the monks stuff allowing him to outdamage the tiger stanced monk if he uses a good parrying foreign weapon type. Throw a stallion underneath the monk, and that is utterly nullified, making monk knights tear shit out of everything in tiger stance.

Quote:

besides which they bash you off of your stallion

The thrash/trip combination counters that.. unlike paladins (dubious on horseback but as I said, letting it be for now) a monk can stop others bashing him by lagging first.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject:

I have stated before that the system worked before. What is seen as "equal" may not exactly be so, even if the crunched numbers are as they seem. Ever had a fire giant 'sneak' in on you and bash you to death? Yeah... There are counters and balances in many many ways, and even though the numbers look slightly askew. Things worked. Right now, things are not working.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject:

Legion is cruising for a bruising, not least from having beef cabal skills like that one (which shouldnt be on the forum). Don't compare Knights to something broken.. in fact compare it to uncaballed players because that is what the majority of evils at 50 are.

0 0 0
roosaelevant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject:

Paladins with a stallion are more powerful than monks or illusionists with stallions.

0 0 0
Hamp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject:

First of sneaking isn't that bad at all and I won't go into the other skills/spells I don't even use. But anywho, you ever fought an elf paladin that rides atop a stallion that 50% of the time you can't bash off? Now that is over powered. The problem knights have is that there isn't enough skilled players that are joining. Yes there is skill in there but not enough to make a difference. Losing illusionists and monks was a big blow to Knights though but an Illusionist that you can't get off a stallion is a bit much, there is no way to kill the stallion for he'll have you dead before you can do that. Also, what did you mean by cruising for a bruising Dav? Or can't you say? Question

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject:

No it didnt work before flyinghampsterofdoom, there was complaining and whining week in, week out about Knights illustrating that very well. The biggest problem with overpowered things in the game.. its not that they can't somehow balance each other by each side having a nuke (i.e. a monk and an illusionist each), its what it does to this community... I would like to be able to think to myself that AR is pretty fricking nicely balanced, then log on myself and join the rat race and play beside some great players. That is my goal for AR. To get it to a challenging state for all of its players. Right now, I can login, well maybe 6 or 7 different classes, without the amplification of the problem by inserting them into certain cabals, and rack up cheese kills by abusing what I feel are problems.. That puts me off playing. Am I mentally ill, because I want to feel I earned my kills myself, rather than because I pulled off 900 hp of damage on another player in three-to-four rounds, without getting hit, due purely to a fixeable gameplay problem? Or maybe there are more people like me that thought the same thing, and decided to move on.

I didn't get around to fixing Legion up, and I don't know if I will for a while, but if I do, all I can say is there's only one direction that cabal has to go in, and its not going to be popular among them. To be honest though, the biggest problem with legion is that they have "close friends" that aren't Legions, they're too chummy with other folk, and thats an issue that might end up taking a change in its leadership to fix. Whereas Knights right now, we've mostly just got a problem with stallions, while I won't try to explain out the extent of that (obviously if something can make elf invokers kick ass its got an extent), and since this is not a mere skill but mounted combat we are dealing with its rather a time-consuming problem to fix. This one isn't as simple as change a divisor like some skills. The only options I saw with that is to either disable the skill for a while or leave it for a while and just restrict the most problematic classes from using it. I want the cabal to be worthy of respect.. that is the goal of its new design.. not just to be "on equal footing with Legions".. that itself is very much a numbers game, which I can't do much about. Right now, my attention is actually not focused at all much on what Legion is doing or the extent of the injury needed done to them, I haven't compared Knight with "Legion" at all.. because I don't need to do that.

As an aside, If I was going to write a Legion cabal myself now.. I'd probably make an organisation emphasizing "purity of evil" and allow in just the evil-only races/classes. Then set them in charge of exterminating weakness, beginning with the easiest targets they can find. i.e. basically a cabal in charge of forcing everyone at 35 and up to know how to flee and hide. Themselves included as potential candidates, with promotions and demotions based on them killing each other exclusively. I don't know how well that'd work, I just made it up. But its probably better than whatever they're doing right now, which looks pretty much to me like plain old mortals with superpowers that are often shirking the responsibilities they agreed to for those powers, and pretty much playing whatever tune they feel like instead of having some direction.

With respect to illusionists, thats obviously another gameplay issue, it doesn't require extrasensory abilities to spot that illusionists are just a bit TOO influential of the outcome of battle (haste the other groupmates with their 50 damrolls and bring 3 bashing dupes), not to mention their solo career easily rivalling that which takes a necromancer about an hour of game time to prepare for, only with escape as easy as, c gate eddie, c slow self, c shadowform. Or whatever they like to gate to.

Monks may be a part of Valour sometime in the future, but that will not be before some changes are completed... its just too much power at the moment.

Paladins on stallions are not more powerful than illusionist with stallions, there is nothing on the MUD that can outperform the lag output of an illusionist, or the ease of which he obtains that, and his damage is rather heinous as well. Damage and lag are the main killers on the game. Now monks, vs paladins, I would guess its probably a bit more equal, but keep in mind this - the paladins big damage output comes from lagging himself with wrath on top of its melee, whereas monk just has a huge melee with dirt kick, and lags his opponent with thrash/trips. We haven't gotten around to tackling paladins properly yet, so I don't have enough information to see exactly how far off base they are, whereas I have a damage calculator I wrote for monks sitting on my desktop showing me how they are. My point being, I'm not in a position to say with confidence that paladins > monks, they'd have to be pretty damn good though, that I will say. Another thing to consider is that monks are more versatile whereas paladin is kinda niche for anti-evil fighting, and loses some of its bite vs neutrals, so its ok for them to be a little stronger than everyone else vs evils.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: