Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 11 hours.

The "new" Knights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject:

Personally, I like the idea of Legions utilizing other people outside the cabal. My view on Legion is that they are not a bunch of mindless killers--that would be an uncaballed evil or a vampire in my view. Legion are more about power than about seeing blood, and what better way to utilize power than to have a fleet of people, not in your cabal, who are of use to you and who you can use when you need to? I often will befriend illusionists or shamans with my Legions, for obvious reasons--you could kill an ill once and show your power over him, or you could spare his life and have haste whenever you want it. Which makes more sense from a power-based point of view? This is why I liked that idea of having Legions enslave people so much-its the ultimate way of showing power.

0 0 0
Allie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Anyone can see blood when its five of them against one little old knight though. Id like to see more badass legions of doom, actually. The guys that go around making everyone else quit out instead of quitting out themselves. Kinda like Res was, just less toolish.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I can see your logic in this Rez, but I dont neceissarly agree with that frame of mind given the fact that most legionaires that I have fought (I stress most) allow their comrades/servants, whatever you want to call them, to enter their cabal to give aid in defence. Or they will invite in on a three on one or some such. Admittadly there have probably been instances of the knights doing the same, but I know for my part as soon as I see someone entering my cabal is not in my cabal I will tell them to leave or risk losing a head. That is the end of the debate and they wait outside. As it stands if you cant kill someone one on one you arent worthy of the 'power' the legionaires are trying to obtain. They are a power hungry cabal not a bunch of bitches running around spamming 'bod' whenever they can.

0 0 0
Hamp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I think we should do both, you can use them but if they have anything you want or it would show everyone else you have "power" then slay em outside the cabal. But if not and it's just consta haste when you want it then why not use them? But about being one on one. That's all good and dandy one on one to show we're bad asses. But then when you get overpowered elf paladins on horses that changes things a bit. For the life of me it would take a bunch of luck to finally take down eleanor, even add in another person and it is still a bitch to take you down. So why not ask for help if I know it's going to be that hard. It's stupid to die when you don't have to.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject:

look you can have constant haste if you want, but when you know you're badass, you don't need haste to take down anyone, especially if you're in a cabal with more badass spells/skills that the rest of AR don't have. its not about having everything, its about tweaking the hell out of what you already have. for example, the mage that goes crazy for hp. the warrior that goes all out hit/dam and forgoes saves. the dk who knows how to exploit his charm person spell. the elf paladin that milks every ounce out of his sneak. the ninja that actually figures out how to assassinate.. all Legions were not meant to have perma_haste.

you're in a cabal for a reason. to make the cabal strong. to make yourself into something, and to fulfill your rp goals. testing and figuring shit out is key. when i had a justice, i attacked other justices outside of town. i feel that your rp and pk goals should coincide with the theme of AR, an "RP and PK" mud as the imms have put it..

once you know that on a good day you can take down anyone, that's when you're elite in this game. not when you think you can, or other people say you are, or whether you had a cabal mortal leader, or whatever else. its when you start planning ways to take down certain people, making flawless scenarios and testing them out in the game, and when your rp can make you go.. damn, that was pretty good.

0 0 0
sweet_canadian_mullet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject:

Now that was a ramble. Thoh I agree with that ramble. word. Woohoo! What a great phrase.

0 0 0
Hrash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Cabal Balance

From what I understand, even though the Knights were somewhat gimped by the loss of monks/illusionists, the imms tried to make up for it by improving the cabal skills (although I'm not at liberty to say how.)

As for the comparison to the first age, I don't think it is really a comparison. The First Age was basically a powerhouse where people didn't care shit what other people thought. It was basically two factions..CAMS and another school duking it out with each other while trying to pk their own members. The First Age was nice because there were a lot of overpowered classes and not everyone knew all the areas like the back of their hands and how to pk. But now, AR has people that can track you from darkhaven to Exile.

The main problem is that people play mud way too seriously. Hell, I even have to admit that I did. People are too emotional about when they die and when they get gangbanged. Someone getes gangbanged while they are disconnected and naked they get pissed off and starts a flame. People in the First Age mostly didn't care about that crap. That's why it was so much more fun..they knew that THIS IS A GAME.

As for the Legions issue..it's not really a Legions issue. It's more like a who has the more popular player issue. When Code was around, whoever was stronger always depended on which cabal Code played because everyone joined the cabal that Code played. It seems the same thing according to what you guys say. One really good player joins a cabal and soon everyone is joining. If they don't join, they have this ooc buddy aim school turd alliance where they get pissed off and starts warning their buddy or beating the hell out of him irl (hence the reason why I didn't talk about mud to those people that I have sns for..they can vouch for me in most cases) [also the reason why I blocked some people who were whining to me to get them into Warlords..you know who you are]. Hell, if Code, Resatimm, Dav, Ramod, and I created a Knight character and we were active, everyone would make goodies and neutrals and be all buddy buddy with Knights. So it's not a cabal issue, but OOC connection issue.

Once people realize that mud is just a game and they shouldn't take it too seriously, then the bloodbath will begin (ie GO MAKE FELLS AND ABYSSALS!).

Thus ends my rant and I go back to school crap.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject:

The root of this problem is as Hrash described it, seriousness of a game. I am guilty of this crime still and will be for probably some time. Understandably so to most extents, because you put alot of your life into this 'game'. Yet it is still something that if your inernet went down tomarrow, it wouldnt matter and life would move on. (I wonder how many people will tell me it would matter and their life would end*smirk*). Least wise, I also beleive that in order to play this game well you should be able to say, as Louis stated, 'I can kill that person, without help from anyone with the skills I have myself.' I can do that sometimes, and sometimes I cant. But atleast I try.

0 0 0
LABruinCub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject:

Dude, Hrash has really nailed it. First age was great, at 50 everyone was fighting everyone and characters were either super buff or super gimped. I remember a time when everyone was hoarding eq and were all ooc until Mephistophilees came onto the scene and tore everyone up with his charm person skill... man, talk about unbalanced. LoL! Yeah, and it was pretty much ooc, and speaking of CAMs... we're still around. Wink

0 0 0
Hrash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Hrash

CAMS as in RebelST's grade..that was the true trash CAMS. Louis's grade wasn't as serious.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:

First Age was nice because there were a lot of overpowered classes

Do you mean like:

psis
druids
monks
paladins
bards
necros
illusionists
to name a few

Quote:

and not everyone knew all the areas like the back of their hands and how to pk.

No comment.

0 0 0
Narajai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The "new" Knights

[quote="Davairus"]
Rozzy wrote:

Umm those are just the rp reasons, the actual reasons are gameplay ones. They're problematic combos. Its easy to criticize the rp reasons, but I challenge anyone to come up for sound reasoning as to how illusionists and monks on stallions can possibly be balanced without changing the skill (to the detriment of every other Knight class on a stallion, naturally).

Even though I haven't played myself in a LONG ass time but i do remember when i had a monk in knights that i would NEVER touch a Stallion unless i was tanking shit Mainly due to the fact that on a stallion i wouldn't be able to trip or thrash people at all.....which is a major advantage as a monk i could say. Although things could be changed? not sure.

And the whole thing about monks being devoted to their monastary....yeah i understand that.

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
No it wouldn't.
It's beyond me why everyone simply discounts the Mystics. True, their leadership did little more than "why don't you guys sit around and make magic mushrooms", but if you think about it, it could be a cabal to rival any.

Prime Example:

Githnaru. If he had been a Mystic instead of a Legion, you think he'd do any worse? He'd still be a scourge to the land, and could have just as easily infected the realms with the Resatimm syndrome (op, 6:00, here comes Gith/Res/Quazark/Whoever, time to log off.)

Honestly, with the exception of the Warlords, to be decent at this game at 50, you have to employ a LOT of magic. Why not resurrect the Mystics and take it to the extreme? Give them a leader, and a decent cabal immortal who advocates battle. I would have applied in a heart beat.

-I want to see some sweet battle mages.
-I want to see someone put the warlords in their place with the exact opposite tactics.
-I want a place for neutrals to reside besides being in the Homosexual Heralds.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
-I want a place for neutrals to reside besides being in the Homosexual Heralds.

Heheh.. I like that.. good quote for later.. buuuuut... Warlord, Assassin and Heralds are open to Neutrals. People dont role play neutrals right for the most part now, what the hell makes people think they will role play correctly in a damn cabal.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject:

Bones, Hampster...

You can both kiss it...

Honestly though, I get where you're coming from... don't necessarily agree with the terminology, but I understand.

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject:

Sebryn wrote:
Bones, Hampster...

You can both kiss it...
See what I mean, homosexual.

Anyhow, the Heralds are lame because all they do is write stories no one reads. And as far as Assassins, last time I heard, and I could be wrong, but they were shying away from illusionists, because it was just too easy. (Group gate, terrain, misdirection). Plus, anyone going for Mystic would probably create a character that would not do well in Warlords.

0 0 0
sweet_canadian_mullet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject:

I think my longest character hours were like 400 or so... Now I surely dont get insanely pissed...but I do have my moments. This game is alot more taxing than say a game you play with your buddies on saturday for three hours... I mean this is the kind of shit pros do...If im at my bros...Bout once a week for 2-4 days...I play give or take 16 hours a day. This is no game...Nothing to kill yourself over...but I would not put the 'game' title on it. And homosexual is not the right word...Just for sebryn is homo the right terminology.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject:

I agree with Bones here. Say what you want about Ug, but he completely changed the way people thought about Mystics--instead of "look, its a gnome making mushrooms", people saw him and thought "oh shit, its a Mystic that can eat me without thinking about it". I as well would like to see Mystics return with an emphasis on the use of magic for battle, not so much with the emphasis on magic for the sake of casting it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject:

We don't need two legion cabals though.

0 0 0
Eldorian
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject:

Mystics were somewhat passive-aggressive at the time of Githnaru. Just look at what happened to him. They didn't just sit around.

No point having another cabal whose philosophy is to dominate.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: