Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 3 hours.

Religion affects for clerics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abandoned Realms

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Religion affects for clerics

Religion affects are now live, once again consult the helpfile for your
celestial to see what those are. These are for clerics only, but if you are
grouped with one you might be affected (strictly as a bonus).

There is also a DEVOTE command which can be used once per real-time
hour for people who initiated.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject:

Do note that these go off the primary celestial of the deity, so there's only 9 of these that can actually be accessed right now. We would need to add more religions, which may not be for a while.

Code:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
  * Mercy                Order              Tyranny  *
  *           Life                                   *
  *  Prudence          Tolerance            Malice   *
  *==================================================*
  *                      Piety                       *
  *                               Death              *
  * Retribution         Disregard             Vanity *
  <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

* Merciful priests are more proficient at healing others, but because their combat skills have deteriorated through neglect, they are less adept at using their weapons in combat.
* Orderly priests can better resist mental spells through their determination, but their narrow minds hinder their ability to regenerate mana.
* Tyrannical priests may increase the damage of their group members multiplicatively, but corresponding suffer defensively when they are fighting multiple foes.
* Priests that are pro-life are inherently luckier than their peers, but are often blind to consequences and are thus more vulnerable to mental attacks.
* Prudent priests are able to use their sound judgment to strike with better accuracy, but their conservative nature makes their mental spells a little less effective.
* Tolerant priests are better able to resist spells of charming and blasphemy, but cast spells at a lower level than others of the same rank within their guild.
* Malicious priests have maledictions that last longer than normal, but their outward projection onto others has made them less adept at defending their own selves from attacks.
* Pious priests commune spell at a higher level than their actual guild level, but suffer more damage from holy sources as a consequence of their submission to the divine.
* Death worshipping priests are able to cast beneficial spells that last slightly longer, but this comes with a susceptibility to fire attacks.
* Retribution priests are mentally indomitable and thus regain mana more quickly, but often have difficulty fleeing from a losing fight.
* Disregarding priests can draw upon their inner wholeness to better shrug off the damaging effects of any afflictive spell, but they themselves can only inflict full damage in combat when traveling alone.
* Vain priests inflict additional damage when leading a group, but are likely to be cut down to size by charming or blasphemous spells during their moments of vulnerability.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject:

For those of you who don't know this is how deities should be affecting clerics anyway, maybe even stronger. Deity based is how I imagine clerics. Awesome.

0 0 0
Craginoth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject:

Does this mean religions are now mandatory for clerics, are we not able to have the option of not following a religion?

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject:

It's been that way since June.

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8424

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject:

A communer that doesn't follow a religion... who is going to listen when he communes to cast spells?

0 0 0
Craginoth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject:

I understand completely, just not a fan of mandatory change. For myself, I feel it kinda limits RP when I 'have' to choose which path in life I will take knowing that each of the options are going to gimp me and boost me at the same time in certain areas. I come to AR to escape the real world, where I have free range of what I choose to do. Mandatory options remind me too much of the real world.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject:

Can you put some thought into the best way to fix that feeling and post it either here, the ideas forum, or the bugs forum (if you only want imms to see it)?

This kind of thing is important.

Hate to ask you to, like, do work, but it would really be a big help Craginoth

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject:

Isnt that the same as picking your race? str 25 dex 20 etc.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I think this is awesome!

Jes' sayin. Good job, imms. Smile[/b]

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject:

too much to read i don't like it

0 0 0
Craginoth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject:

I do understand how choosing a race for a class is very similar for choosing a religion for a cleric. I guess just being a long time player I had free range when it came to picking a cleric and not having any restrictions. With the new design, I just feel I'm limited to a few select categories that are going to structure my PK abilities on which type of deity I choose. As I stated before, my concern was more about having free range when it came to RP, but now I also see limitations as to "im going to gain a lot more mana, but I'm going to have a hard time fleeing from a fight im losing". When I say limitations, it comes with a positive change and a negative change. Sure, gaining more mana is a great addition when it comes to fighting, but to know im going to have a hard time fleeing because I choose the ability to gain more mana is not too much to my liking, if I want the choice to NOT gain any benefit or negative feedback from a religion, I would like that choice, but you are right, who is going to hear those communes? On a side note, it seems to be getting positive feedback.

0 0 0
Kato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject:

If you're roleplaying a cleric of a deity, being more adept at exhibiting that deity's beliefs only helps you to rp. Love this

0 0 0
Grunchel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject:

not too big of a fan of this, it does kill free form RP, but it does provide depth to the game mechanics. I don't know which to pick and what to make of it, doesn't really fit the 600 hours I put into Grunchel's RP. I guess he's too much of a druid with the praying to the spirits thing, I dunno. I just wish there was an option where you can kind of make your own and go with that as that would keep the free form and the depth to the mechanics.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject:

There was never freeform rp for these classes

But anyway just pick disregard on the way in and choose zafrin for free spirits

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Updates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: