Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 14 hours.

Stuff with monks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Stuff with monks

Moving this here due to what Nyct said in the updates monk thread.

Thus far, the new healing is actually pretty well balanced, there is a time for someone to lag you if they can keep up, if not you get your healing and they can suck it. Other than that, monks being able to do martial arts & kickboxing a in defensive will make life easier.

Also, I've noticed that if you cover a tattoo with a piece of gear, you lose that tattoo's benefit, which I understand, but it also kind of gives away a bit of the mystique of what kind of monk you are. And each tattoo does special stuff, where its a +1 to stat, some move, some hit, some damage, some ac and what not, there is a huge number of combos you can do, and when you enhance that tattoo, you get a bonus on its effect. The thing though, is picking your grandmastery, because it will give you a 'bonus' on a smaller skill. I wish there was a way to know which skill, but I understand that its a learning experience.

From what I've seen snake and mantis are balanced in terms of there other effects, tiger is good. The fact that you learn meditation and don't get a small amount of standing mana back was annoying, as that's its purpose. So glad to see that fixed.

To be honest, with how the monks are, its a pick and choose. Also, Ozaru, if you were wanting a thuderclash skill, that would be wing buffet, not exploding palm. My guess is that exploding palm is more like flamestrike.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

not secret just not sure where to put it

-tiger + kick
-mantis + nerve
-monkey + dirt kick
-snake + grapple
-panda + throw
-leopard + sense motion
-crane + air thrash
-drunken + trip

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

why does a yin style buff a yang skill?

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

People often forget about leopard style. I know while ranking up it doesn't seem like much, but don't overlook it. Especially against the likes of a class that might attack alot, berserkers/warriors.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

And personally, I'm just having a hell of a time trying to find gear that won't weigh me down, but I'm at a huge disadvantage cuz i haven't played in ages and don't remember a damn thing.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject:

What about making a monk set? All the sets are heavy and encumbering. So right now evils have Malicious beast, Neutrals have thews, and Goodies have Regal Radiance. Perhaps a leather or cloth set for monks that is light armor that is comparable in maybe hit dam, but obviously being leather or cloth would not have the AC the other sets have?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject:

Aren't the tattoos already like a set?

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject:

The tattoos don't give as much as a piece of armor does in most cases

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject:

The armor types have only just been formally introduced, and there's still plenty of work to do on it. I don't mean for this to be something we just half-heartedly do and then basically "revert" with sets. I want it to be part of the game. The equipment isn't 100% done, but its coming along and Olyn has been working on it for almost ayear. A couple of examples that come to mind of things for us to do.

This is basically the crux of the whole thing
- there is currently AC from dex, straight up. Free AC. that is something we can redo as follows. The AC from dex would depend on each slot, and it would scale down based on the armor type. So that way you (depending on dex) might actually get a better AC from using the lighter armor type, and your race selection is then affecting what equipment you prefer. may also extend this to dodge chance, bash chance, sneak chance

With a lower armor type, I would lower the base AC value. This gives the writer some extra freedom to put points into more stats ... more dex, more damage, health, whatever. More interesting items. What is interesting about that is the dex guys can bring their AC back up in a big way with the extra AC they would innately collect from the lighter armor, and the amount is just equal to the amount I lowered it by, its really easy to math. People could get a halfling thief in leather armors designed with a regular AC and blow their AC through the roof!

I'm not sure that encumberances are very fun, especially when applied to one class, but I was (if it wasnt obvious) planning on giving ninjas the same encumberance issue as monks because they're both martial artists. And introducing a casting penalty for "mage" spells for all armors, and clothing would most definitely have lots of hp on it. I don't think monk is leaving a good impression on me at the moment, but I think its maybe just because they're the only one's currently saddled with it.

0 0 0
Nycticora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

try using the codex to find monk equipment Rayor, it's new

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I have been trying to do just that, but it's still tough. I'm getting there though. I just wanted to cry.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

First off, with the tattoos, I've noticed that wearing something over the tattoo removes its benefit. Second, there's a lot around that's light enough to wear. I've seen people wear the stuff the leather person in Seringale sells. Also there's a lot. Regal Radiance is actually alright for a monk, but there are like one or two styles they can't use.

Other than that, I'm not really having a big problem.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject:

That's about right Andrael, but once you get your grandmaster tattoo you'll be having difficulty replacing that. I think its natural to keep a tier one tattoo covered up. Master tattoos arent bad either.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

so, each stance has a different combat style, but if you're in yin, the stance is always neutral or advantage? and with yang is the style always a disadvantage?

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Weapon wise, yes. You keep combat style superiority not weapon.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

In yang empowerment, you're always losing weapon style, but can keep up combat style. You'll still parry, but I don't think not as well. But with combat style that'll give you good chances to dodge I believe. Yang is risky, cause as it is meant for damage, you're not as focused on your defenses.

Yin seems to be a safer option in most cases. You get the iron body passive which damage wise seems to act like the 'protection' spell against physical weapon damage. You have access to stances that improve your defenses (i.e.: Leopard, Drunken, Phoenix) and you also get access to healing.

Now, you do lose some things while in yin. You can't use chii bolt (which is confusing how it just sucks all of your chii instead of you picking what level to use), you can't use air thrash (but still retain grapple), don't get access to fist of fury (makes your first, MA B and KB B magical attacks (unsure if it does it for the advanced)) and resonating wave which is your out of combat aoe to pull people out of hiding that would get used along with sense motion.

A few other things, while it says periodically in its file, transcendence is a 120 in game hour cd, that's one full hour out of game more or less. Same as devoting. And it wipes your chii and sits you in the opposite empowerment. While useful if you have enough of a head start against a foe. It can't really help you much in swapping back and forth like the file suggests.

The healing fix makes it more balanced and less of a clutch for fleeing popping it and fighting. Due to its chii costs. I've also noticed that chii regenerates slower the less you have and doesn't regenerate at all when you're completely out of it.

In other things, throw is a useful skill. As you grab your target and throw them out of the room while following. Very nice against necros and illus. But the room path is random. And for some odd reason, it can go through closed doors. The door wasn't locked, but not sure if that even matters at this point if you can 'throw' someone through a door and prevent them from leaving because a mage/cleric has to be out of combat for pass door to be cast.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

can you explain more on how to tattoo and how the tattoo's work it isn't working for me

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:

Just as something silly. I noticed while fighting, that when I'm running around. I'm constantly sensing someone following me... I didn't know what it was until I saw the stream. A monk will know if the stream is on them >.>

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

Ozaru, to get a tattoo, you need to have the style practiced. You pretty much use the 'help monk tattoo' file and its pretty self explanatory. That's the intermediate. You get four of those. You can then chose two of those four to gain as Master, which requires you to have a weapon to 100% before you can become a master. You would then enhance the tattoo you want and give it a 'prefix'. After you have done that, you can move on to Grandmaster of one of the two Master tattoos, but you have to master the style first. And then that's when you get the suffix and the skill enhancement, as well as the style being buffed.

0 0 0
Mikoos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

snake, tiger, panda and monkey seem to be the best tattoo combo, although if Leopard's lunge left a trail of blood to follow for an area or two...that would be sexy.

I don't like having to master a weapon for the enhancement. I feel like an anatomy(non-mob) or two should be mastered instead. Maybe it's that way for grand master??

I think the best thing I like about monks is the flavor text when attacking. if only we could think of a way for that with each class and retain attack type damage in the description(meaning pierce, slice, etc.).

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: