Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 16 hours.

Removing eq limits and corpse looting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozaru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Removing eq limits and corpse looting

This would be self-serving as usual but a huge shift I would love to see is rare-unique limits removed and looting rare and unique items cannot be done. Maybe have random reboots like we do, but at least have a minimum of 3 or 4 times per week, or it coincides with storms.

This game is built on rp and pk and I think this would really solidify this experience.

1. At 50 it really should be about the skill vs equipment difference

2. More conclusions to fights, if you know you won't lose your equipment more fights more deaths and possibly actual con deaths. When I beat Kryton I literally did a tiger woods fist pump, not because I could loot his eq, but simply because I won. I couldn't even loot properly because of the adrenaline rush.

3. I think this would increase play time overall, if you know the equipment you want is out there you will log in more frequently to get the suit you need.

4. Now the obvious con for this is everyone walking around clanking in tenors, and honestly is this really a problem? The people who have time to play can maximize their experience if it is pk related because they have the equipment. if they just want to rp and still have tenors so be it.

5. Someone might say Ozaru you can play way more than me, you are going to get all the rares and be able to kill me. Maybe, but you won't lose yours and when you can find time to get what you need you can get it and we can fight again and again and again. This could be an interesting way of getting exp to increase pk, if you kill someone you raise a level. Or even gang them too.

Im not saying the top 5 killers are there only because of equipment, but it sure helps and it is discouraging knowing that you are already at a disadvantage when you log in.

From my 20 years of play, I have been a part of killing order 1 time and never even done the chaos dragon. It would be really fun to actually have a chance to do that with people on a regular basis. This is why I play dota 2, I can get into a game, get what ever items I need, win or lose and move on to the next game. So my approach is similar here, make a char get to 50 things I want are not in lose interest, see some rando with the eq i want and the game gets stale.

Starting to ramble, appreciate thoughts on this.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject:

You're crazy, but I like it. Let everyone get best in slot and smash their superpowers against each other. It makes looting/full looting way less painful and also encourages people to interact to farm stuff. I would say named unique items should probably stay unique, but otherwise why not? We may have 10-15 people playing but I can't get a freaking frostbrand because someone's fourth alt is holding it?

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject:

(My thoughts)

In my humble opinion, that would be taking things a bit too far, but I very much like the direction of the idea.

At the very least, at 50 it would be nice to have a 5th rare slot reserved for shields, held items, or arrows. That or instead of the level/10 -1, do away with the "-1" and allow 5 at pinnacle and 4 at 40 etc.

For looting, maybe it would make sense if we added a lag to it. After the first item, the lag could increase for each item taken after. Vultures could get an even worse lag. Could we make it so that if you return to your corpse very quickly that it wouldn't be unrealistic to only be missing 2 or 3 items when the looter's intention may have been to otherwise full loot?

0 0 0
Merlandox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject:

Sorry Ozaru, but I disagree. The reason is that the thought of losing this set of equipment that I have put the effort and time to get and knowing it will be looted is what gets my adrenaline pumping when I fight.

If the loss of equipment becomes no big deal, then it's the same as WoW where we circle jerk and get rating / lose rating. The thought of getting full looted and being painful is what gets the adrenaline going for me.

We can make it less painful (ie more rare pieces in the realms) but i disagree to totally removing the limit.

To address the problem with Chaos dragon and Order and all that, Can I propose to change the summing stones / summoning items to non-rare so I can keep it in my sack and do it in phases? Otherwise we'll need a group with a lot of time to do everything at one go.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject:

We have done the subject of looting to death over and over, nothing ever really changes. Here's the rehash again. Full looting of eq has to be balanced against being able to eventually get it back, i.e. the difficulty and the time needed. A whole lot of rare items are generally very easy to get, and even at the top end, most can be substituted for a gambled or sometimes a forged item. Rare weapons used to be another story, but now you have the witch carving to build something with. Where we all know that actually falls apart, and also where full loots / thieves cause everybody a lot of pain, is the ultra high end BiS stuff. There are high-end rares that are very limited and hard to get and that tends to lead to a few people getting totally stacked. That goes for titanium tenor, order gear, torments of hell, etc. Same goes for sacks of evermore gambled jewelry that costs a LOT of gold. Thieves can legitimately destroy those guys. However, scarcity is a feature to help drive some high-stakes pk'ing as Merlandox just mentioned.

One of the things I put in place a while ago, I am not sure how longs it been now, but its in place, is the timer on Sevokan. If you request that item, you will lose it a week later, no matter what. Playing enough hours for rares does not mean you keep it. It always goes home after aweek, which means you're playing to try to make the most of it while you have it. Rather than simply pump rares, we COULD flag that onto much more high-end stuff, or just pick another few key items to try it, like helm of spellturning and the stetson and so on.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I understand the overall sentiment better now after viewing more comments.
With that being said

Are we completely against raising max carry for rares to 5, instead of 4? That doesn't seem like a big jump.

Speaking from experience, when you have many enemies sometimes you need to have many different types of damage.

If we don't want that across the board, then perhaps we can make that part of some cabal power or privilege?

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject:

And yes I know about witch crafting, before anyone asks Very Happy

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Full looting has already been changed to some extent anyway. You can't get all from the pit anymore if it's not your stuff. You can't get all from a level 50 corpse as a level 50 unless all the items are items you can normally wear. You get a message stating you will have to manually get that item etc.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we just added a slot to hold something in your mouth, no stat bonus, lets you keep a rare already since it is "equipped" but you have to manage that and all. It was intended to be the final emergency rare slot.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I don't know anything about that haha.

0 0 0
ivindel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:47 am    Post subject:

Damn! So that's the use of the clench action! Why didnt I think of that!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: