Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 20 hours.

Consortium and Custom Titles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Q1 2024 Patch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Consortium and Custom Titles

I propose that the Consortium should be able to grant custom titles. My understanding right now is that this is something only Imms can do. Oddly enough, I've cared more about getting a custom title on my toons than trying to shoot for something like HoE. It's a pretty awesome nod to one's RP, and seems right up the Consortium's alley as the lore-masters and the central node around which most RP flows in the game. They can already award 'acknowledgements' of a kind that come up under 'whois', but granting a custom title just seems like it's that much cooler.

I can also say when you have a character at pinnacle for a even a few weeks, the generic titles don't really play into the fantasy anymore. I always imagined Xaltor as 'The Boisterous Bull', Bomgrom as 'The Ogre Lord', or Aerysen as 'The Hammer of the Heavens'. Even as a player who has spent my 4-year tenure rolling mostly PK toons, I would be heavily inspired to roll up a Consortium member if I knew I could grant custom titles.

3 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I fully support this idea (obviously)! It has always felt a little off to me how fast some cabal characters get custom titles when some non cabal characters have been around for ages with a generic one. I'm pretty sure all 3 Consortium branch leaders themselves have generic titles still.

However, I also wouldn't be surprised if this is something the immortals like to keep control of. Maybe there is a middle ground here that leads to the same conclusion? I always wished there were more of those who is awards and that the repute feature was used more (if I am remembering that command right). What if the immortals set a line where anybody who gets 5+ who is entries and/or reputes gets a custom title? Then players know a clear path to get there by engaging with the Consortium and events or by being reputed by fellow players but the immortals get to keep ultimate control over titles.

Just an idea!

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject:

I think names and titles are legal business. Given that, it makes sense that this would be earned by first sit on ass hundreds of hours, or maybe earn 100's of guild points so it isn't just ozaru'd in 3 weeks, then you can stake your guild points to register a desired title at your guildmaster or other accepted legal authority figure. I think that an approval process could be something the Justice cabal seems the best fit, next to the imms.

0 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I like this take too. Whether it's distributed by Justice or Consortium is just a matter of the fiction. Expanding this power over to Justice is another good way to get Justice involved in more than just guildhall squatting.

I think some barriers should naturally exist. Hours played, titles earned by the Consortium, and/or any other ones that feel fair to ensure that characters with at least some longevity are getting these titles. Spending guild points does seem like a cool idea - trading the chance to farm gold or train for an hour to be able to build a bank that eventually gets you a custom title. I think the name will have to go through some sort of approval process, not dissimilar to a background or description check. But a player being able to file for their own custom title does mean we get that much more creative expression with our toons.

All of this to say, I'm obviously on board. I love the idea of looking around during a Friday night surge and seeing half the player-base with custom titles.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I dont k ow about half the pbase... it would take away the value of custom titles. Another options would be to let rp imms had them out?

3 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject:

All of these ideas have merit. One concern is Justice has recently had long stretches of inactivity so it could be a bottleneck. Citeros was barely around before deleting. But it's not like custom titles need to be churned out. It does seem fitting for Avenar as the RP Imm. Lately it's just Warlords getting custom titles.

2 0 0
Scrynor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I don't personally subscribe to scarcity for custom titles. Having more doesn't decrease their value. They are fun because they are fun not because they are rare. I would argue having more removes resentment from the have-nots as opposed to removing value from the haves.

Whatever happens here, I hope it is a dual system where there is a clear path to earning one but Immortals also still randomly hand them out. I would hate to lose the funny ones like Master of Moustache, Walking Disaster, and Wurst Knight to an approval process. We can have both things!

2 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Q1 2024 Patch All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: