Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 17 hours.

Now how do we?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thePlumber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Now how do we?

Now how do we master our defenses?

0 0 0
Dellosimas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Well, as far as I can see, the idea behind mastering defences is to get equipment that decreases your strength, so it takes you forever to kill something, and get equipment that increases dex, so you don't die doing it. And, you fight relatively weak mobs for your level.
Oh, and if this isn't detailed enough for you, there's a great guide to this on the AR website at: http://abandonedrealms.com/strategy/training.php

0 0 0
thePlumber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Are you stupid?
Must be because you failed english 5 times in a row.
Did you not read the post on Defenses broken? Guess not or you would not have given me a stupid answer.
They said they miss now and are not checked by defenses, so for those competent out there how do you propose we train now?

0 0 0
Angelic Mortal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject:

At least he tried to help, that's more help than others might've given.

As far as I see it now, sparring perhaps is a liable option.. the changes are obviously new and it'll take time before people find a new way to train defences.

You could, just run continually through solo ranking a group of mobs over and over and over... You'll gain ranks but you'll be doing your defences + weapons and whatever else you need to do. The reason for doing it solo is so you don't gain ranks too quickly which will make it worth while and not to mention the money.

0 0 0
Dellosimas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Well, sorry. I didn't take the time to read all through that other topic. As for the whole ignorance thing, that's inherent to my newb-ness. Thank you though, for refraining from profanity when you insulted me.
(no sarcasm)

"and the little newbie never posted again..."

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject:

thePlumber wrote:
Are you stupid?

Ironic.

There are still many many ways to get your defensive skills to improve. Perhaps if you weren't such a jackass, more people would share their ideas on how to get around the "misses no longer being checked".

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Are you stupid?
Must be because you failed english 5 times in a row.

Attack the POST not the PERSON. Didn't you notice those people getting banned, less than two weeks ago? Consider this a warning to read the forum rules, and everyone now knows you're out the next time you break them.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject:

In memory of the possibly-soon-to-be-banned offender, look for Davairus to change his forum ID in the near future:

tehPwnzor

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Didn't you notice those people getting banned, less than two weeks ago?

I thought they all changed their custom titles to "BANNED"... :P

0 0 0
Aldorin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I went to the hobgoblins and just started training....
less then 15 min...
Your proficiency at counterbalance is 94%.

Did you actually TRY training the way you used to?

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Any Ideas

Any ideas on training defenses are very welcome. I have tried the higher dex lower strength thing, without success. For mobs at or slighly below my rank I can't stay in battle very long because I take on too much damage. As for fighting many mobs that would be even worse. Are there any other ideas on mastering defenses? Or at least things that players have "actually tried" in the current system with success?

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Ideas

Simpleton wrote:
Any ideas on training defenses are very welcome. I have tried the higher dex lower strength thing, without success.
If misses are not checked by defenses anymore, which is what I gather, I would think you want a lower dex. Certainly any loss of dodge, counterbalance, and the parries (although they are more based on strength) would be more than overcome by the fact that your training mobs are more "successful" in making contact, and giving you more chances to defend.

As a caveat, there are far more attractive mobs to practice against than the hobgoblins.

Although I'll admit that I haven't attempted to train a new character since the change, but logically, this is what I'd do.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:

You could just allow them to go up through normal use. The whole idea that all skills absoloutly -must- be trained is silly. You'd be amazed out how much they go up doing simple things like gaining eq/re-equipping, tanking while ranking, or simply PKing.

0 0 0
Altheripper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Training on the mass hobs always works great for me, I dont see what the big deal is about. Maybe all of you people whining about should go and figure it out yourself instead of just sitting in the forum. Do something original for once.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: