Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 8 hours.

Acid Blast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight of Valor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Acid Blast

Is acid blast as powerful as every one says?

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Yes when it is a constant *** hellstream equivalent.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Its not exactly a hellstream equivalent, but its pretty damn powerful when coupled with everything else that necros have at their disposal.

0 0 0
b00mslang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: yep

uh, yeah especially with it costing less than half the mana used for hellstream and has a one round lag instead of 1.5 rounds

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject:

Tell you what. We can take half the damage of acid blast, if you let necros have one more zombie. That should even things out.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject:

On a round for round basis, it's going to offer more consistant damage than hellstream can.

0 0 0
Allie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Take away Acid blast, and Animate corpse, and Necros still have enough beef to kill anyone. Mals, golems, shatter, PWK and the ultimately powerful underused Ghoul Touch.
Not to mention vampiric touch, which is basically cure serious.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject:

There's lot of reasons why necros > invokers. Leaving sanc aside (presence of sanc on a class opens up the strategy of burning off the other guys purples, and more frequent occurances of catching him with his sanc down.. but no good necro will let you do that easily, esp. with help from summons to get more purples, and the nec will be wearing save aff/save mental probably)

invoker is basically:

mace + ice shield + hellstream
(huge potential for some sick damage on unsanced opponents)
secondary spells: mana shield, dispel magic

necro is basically:

sword + [full zombies + golems] + acid blast
secondary spells: vamp touch, most of the best mals in the game, dispel magic

If you look at the necro arsenal there is a very strong PHYSICAL component in that. the invoker would not find it appealing to be putting up mana shield to avoid acid, as he loses some important damage output doing that, and still has to tank zombies and golems, while wearing both save mal and mental gear to avoid curse and dispel magic, should the necromancer decide to employ those upon him.

acid blast is pretty good but dont forget that mass amount of phys damage they do besides it. not to mention the dirt/ bash/ disarm /shield disarm / trip /easy full loot/ flee cover that decent zombies provide. i can't name how many times i've had a nec flee from me as i lag myself with [insert spell or skill here] and return to sit safely behind his zombies... then start acid spamming while i wait to get my attacks back on him.

0 0 0
sweet_canadian_mullet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject:

I agree with res. I think we half acid blast and give em one more zombie. Damn ingrates. Serves em right.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject:

as its been agreed before, necros are definitely one of the more powerful if not the most powerful class in the game. however the time to generate a full set of powerful zombies is probably the reason why they are allowed to be so powerful. that's one thing invokers don't have, generation time. acid blast and hellstream are a trade off because acid is more consistent but hellstream can surprise you with the annihilate damage out of nowhere.. the die/dice rolled to calculate the damage are probably of different ranges. anyhow i do think invokers are a bit at a disadvantage because they either have to ditch hp and mana equipment or saves equipment. with saves equipment you are pretty much warrior food and with hp equipment, shaman bait, because mana shield doesn't guard against mals anymore. i figure the best way to play an invoker is with speed and the element of surprise.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Invokers now just cant do the old "c dis, c hell, c hell" to win. To be a successful invoker now requires a lot of timing(looking for sanc to fall, attacking right before a tick so dirt doesnt do much, etc.) and preparation i.e. being able to run off when hurt, catch ticks and use supplies to heal up so they surprise people.

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject:

Preparation was huge for me (Avendin - elf invoker Knight). My item supply was enormous (biggest variety I've used since I played a warrior). Hellstream doesn't help unless you use it properly (to initiate against an unsanced opponent, after a dispel of sanctuary, finishing blow to name a few obvious occasions). Spamming hellstream against the protections that you expect a smart lvl 50 to have will just exhaust your mana supply and your hp as you take hits. I'm not saying that it wasn't my primary offensive weapon either (I'm reminded of when I took Garnoth (avian dkn Legion) out in the middle of Timaran: I hellstream, he flees, reenters just in time to eat my second hellstream, splat: fried chicken). All the same, Invoker is a class where strategy (i.e. weapon choice, equipment choice, terrain choice & combat strategy) depends entirely upon the situation and opponent as opposed to many others where the basic strategy is the same (I imagine necros can go in minions-a-blazing for the most part and own).

/* edit
In response to Louis: Speed helps (no lag skills so initial engagement and tracking are HUGE), but in drawn out fights you have to do a lot of thinking. That's what made it a lot of fun for me. Avendin was my first mage and if I come back I doubt I will play a non-mage again. I am a total convert especially to invokers because of their great versatility.

A nice skill for invokers would be warcry (or an equivalent) b/c it fits right in with their RP background as totally pwning offensive magic-wielding soldiers. Gameplay-wise, it would allow them to be more hp-eq oriented w/ the extra saves and hitroll. And it would make me make another invoker and come back to playing again. Razz
*/

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A nice skill for invokers would be warcry (or an equivalent) b/c it fits right in with their RP background as totally pwning offensive magic-wielding soldiers. Gameplay-wise, it would allow them to be more hp-eq oriented w/ the extra saves and hitroll.

We're not going in that direction with our invoker changes, the physical combat department that is. Invokers will have a more-tweaked weapons selection to emphasize the "battlemage" aspect of their character, but instead their spell offerings have been, oops, I mean, will be diversified (cough) so that it's not just a hellstream spam fest. And it's funny that you mentioned saves and eq--some of the changes will make these two areas very important when it comes to invokers. You will hate me if you're a hellstream spammer, but if you like tactics, the new invokers will be far more interesting.

But there's one important question about invoker changes that you're not allowed to ask: when?

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Dont ever suggest or even open up the suggestion of necro's gettin another zombie and half acid blast. Are you freakin nuts!? That opens up more lag and twice the damage of acid blast in a half a round, you might as well leave acid blast were it is and make it lag the oponent.. I mean shit people..

0 0 0
Bones V2.0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Flying Hampster of Doom wrote:
Dont ever suggest or even open up the suggestion of necro's gettin another zombie and half acid blast. Are you freakin nuts!? That opens up more lag and twice the damage of acid blast in a half a round, you might as well leave acid blast were it is and make it lag the oponent.. I mean shit people..
How about half the damage for acid blast, and a short wait for strength damned (86 hours!) like say, to match animate corpse (12-24 hours)?

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject:

Louis wrote:
... because mana shield doesn't guard against mals anymore.

And THANK GOD. Do you know how many years I'd been screaming about Mana Shield being broken? No? Hm. Two, I think. Woo.

Of course, now that Critch idle deleted, it does me no good. Sigh. :)

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: