Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 13 hours.

Your first few moments on AR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Your first few moments on AR

After reading the post http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1824 from Bucky, it got me thinking about my first time on AR. It was back in April 1998 and a friend and I had come to AR from a Circle mud. We spent about 36 hours straight playing AR (over an easter longweekend). He became a Knight under Coven, and I fart arsed around with a duergar shaman, running from Coven/Frag and Co...

Well I am back playing (as of a year ago) and my friend is now married with kids (he met his wife on AR- yes it can happen, and in Australia too!).

What was your first time on AR like? How long did you play, your first impressions etc etc. Before AR I was one of those losers throwing dice and reading out of a AD&D manual, when I saw AR my jaw just dropped...still picking it up.

I'm sure there are more pathetic tales than mine! muahahahah Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I thought it was gay that people actually wore pearl necklaces and that the game was way too complicated to learn. Had to lurk on the forum to listen to people who were saying what was effective. Then found there were whining about skills like charm/assassinate which took barely any effort at all to rape other players... it wasnt a good first impression. Thats before the getting trash pked at low levels stuff (which I figured I'd have to deal with and get revenge later since I obviously sucked ass).

I came back because of the pwipe (gave everyone a fair chance to get to 50 without getting spam killed into condeath) and game was obviously better balanced with charming players removed.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject:

If it was complicated THEN, what is it now?

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject:

I just remember these critical pieces of eq:

obsidian clasps with pearls
strongman armlets
white king's headdress
thorny dagger
melded rings
suit of armor signed with an eagle

and if you wanted to be buff:

crusader's sword
tainted blade
swiftbird

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject:

I always wanted what ever those rings of light things were, and the teeth necklaces. It pissed me off that I could never get them.

I also thought it sucked, because it was my first MUD (I haven't played one like this ever since- best one I've found. Got lucky.), and I had no idea what I was doing. Now, I can emote. Pmote is still a little tough. I need to work on it.

0 0 0
Taleroth
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:

My friend introduced me into the game and I went crazy over an item called Holy Avenger and that was my dream sword at that time.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:

On my first "serious" character (I got him up to lvl 28!) I was able to get one of the most uber peices of eq in the game. The Tainted Blade. Which back then, was freakin' awesome. Wielding it I thought I should be able to defeat anyone, and I was in disbelief that I lost my first duel.

It was a human berserker.

I also clearly remember that it was such a bad roll that I got 1 practice per level, and it took me 3 practices to train something to 75%

0 0 0
Altheripper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I remember first starting with Guthfar and being led to the Emerald forest by my group. It seemed so far away and impossible to find, it took me forever to be able to find my way back alone.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:

this is my 2 mud and the first was one wa Baren Realms, anyways i liked it a big playerbase and the race/class was good but its when i asked a question someone answered, i had one person show me the basic hunting places and how to get there from south square, and how to get to my guild, and he got me some decent armor and a dagger. forgot who he was, or was it a she? I miss avian dark-knights!!!!

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject:

My first character was a Drow Thief...His name Vormos Idan i got him to rank 30 and i loved using blackjack and pry, along with picking locks...all i did with him was group when i could and hang around Seringale.Nobody showed me what to do so i had to figure it out on my own.

0 0 0
Saegen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject:

My first was Saegen, I was so osessed with the spider blade once I had seen it. Once I figured out how to newbie I just spammed every question I had, or went through the whole "who" list until I got an answer. Was my first mud and Torkalen/Xazappith constantly endured all my questions. Neu/Neu Human Warrior. I died soooo many times just learning how to get places and exploring, which caused the end of me on a journy to Valour through the ford. I remember asking dav to make me good so I could request stuff. When I finally earned it I wanted to be a Herald because I thought I could help people like me out with the little knowledge I had gained. But Dav made me good at the cost of 5 lives slain from me. He then offered to change me back if the Heralds accepted me. I finally had the last task finished and was on my way to Valour (for the first time without nexus) and found a door in the ford... Fled drisnik with almost no life to find another agg and lost my last life! So Close to cabal!!! (got to 3Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: