Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 4 hours.

Playerkilling Statistics for October 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
To fight a shaman you need to have a lot of preps...

purple potions
protection potions (because of enhanced damage/frenzy)
detect potions (because of mass invis)
gyvel potions (because of blindness)
curing items (because of cures)

+ lots of saves gear

Carry around a set of blue steel and gold rings and such at the least.

0 0 0
Jermayn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject:

heh, when my bag is ransacked off my body, it's usually loaded with ALL those goodies and then some. But, they just get drained off in the course of the fight. I'll figure something out eventually, or go condead trying. (most likely)

0 0 0
Dioraem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:

And with lots of saves (including the save breaks that are out now), that means little to no hit or dam. Pets aren't as reliable for damage support(I love the falcon thing but the bigger pets seem "too little too late" in battle), so you have to be able to stand up in head to head battle (you will be forced into it, especially against legionaires). Which means you need more strength and balanced dex, so little rangers are very rare now (excluding elves of course).(Chaotic weapons are helping this problem, but it's still a problem)

So, ..hopefully you can hope that the shaman/healer/pally/thkot messes up completely, stay on top of his back to wear him down (best route, but can take insane skill to pull off), or fight to a slow loss of all your prep potions. Rangers have to run everywhere for their potions, that isn't a problem for the most part, but to stay on top of every prep you spoke of is not possible to do "with a rhythm" and stay somewhat active in the battle.

Also, best bet is to have your pets of choice with you from the get go, so "do what you must" to get your best ones if you have the time (before enemy goes aggressive). That's good if you have the time, but I'm betting the enem(y/ies) aren't going to wait for you if you just logged on, which goes into hide tactics (which is fine until adrenaline kicks in for trying to get your pets).

It's hard to be a hit and run opponent to a wording enemy. It's not impossible to beat one, just a lot harder. Quick volley is nice (can we get some rare javelins going in the game or be able to make our own or something?) but volley isn't going to be effective to a decent shaman type. Protective shield pwns bows, shield block pwns bows, ward pwns weapon advantage, blocks any form of disarm, and any weap adv/combat superiority skills a ranger has (chaotic weapons soften the pwning).

I love herb skill. Hamp is drunk.

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Dioraem about the ranger stuff.

I decided to come back to AR to try out the new archery stuff, and I do love it. It's very innovative and meshes well with the fast paced action that AR is great for.

However, attempting to PK with it has been really hard. I wanted my character to be primarily a ranged-ranger. However, because most of the people I've fought so far aren't thieves/ninjas, I rarely see anyone dual wielding - i.e., where the bow would make sense. In one fight, I switched from dual wield to using the bow towards the end of the fight, just 'cos I wanted to USE THE BOW. And, when I switched to the bow, I started getting totally pwned. I had worn my opponent down enough to just barely kill him, and the aerial and snap shots were cool, but I'll never do that again if I want to win for sure. I just got lucky with the bow.

It just sucks that all the cool skills rangers have been given for use with archery, all the different shots, won't work 90% of the time 'cos 90% of the time using a bow isn't worth it as far as weapon/combat superiority goes.

Meh, but I'm a cynic..

0 0 0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Ha! I remember suggesting all this archery business all that time ago in the old forums. I'm glad Davo has thought up so much cool stuff to do with it. Yes, and as far as finding the right time to use the bow, NEVER use it against shields, that is when you get totally pwned.

0 0 0
Altheripper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Last post was me, btw.

0 0 0
Hamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Hah, all though I was most likely drunk when Dioraem added that last bit in just wondering where it came from. Also, old herb was tons better than new herb.. if you fail new herb now your fucked for a couple hours and it doesn't cure you nearly as much as it used to. Dunno i liked the old school rangers better and only play my ranger from time to time and don't like it much but meh..

0 0 0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I think you're missing the point of the new combat styles. I've found that switching weapons and changing combat styles is very effective - the catch is you can't stay with just one. Most classes are dependent on one or the other. Warriors are dependent more on combat style, while rogue classes are more dependent on weapon style. Against most opponents combat style doesn't matter - the exceptions being Rangers, Warriors, and zerkers- i.e the hobble concentration classes. Cleric classes are pretty much immune to combat style advantages until weapon ward falls so focus on causing them pain until then. If you can keep them healing then they can't really capitlize on your handicap. If you keep fleeing and changing weapon style then your opponent will have to guess and then you can punish them when they guess wrong. In general a lot more thought has to be put into combat than before which I think was the point. If you stick with the old style and just stand there and fight you're going to lose. Old habits die hard. *This should be moved to a different thread*

0 0 0
b00mslang/guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Rolf seems to be doing adequately as my protege...eeexxcellenttt....

0 0 0
trance_monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I absolutely agree, I love the new depth of PK combat that the styles gives.

I guess I just wish bows were slightly more viable, seeing as how the skillset now given to rangers is geared at least 60-70% for bow usage. I wonder if the shield block/spell could be slightly downgraded against bows, but still kept in place as a better defense. Of course, I don't know the code, so it may already be as weak as possible while still retaining balance.

I'd just like to be more encouraged to use the bow and the skills along with it.

0 0 0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Just wait. Used properly bows are insane. The damage output on bow is similar to that of other two handed weapons, polearms and staffs and even the two handed axes out there. You could easily do UNSPEAKABLES with lead shot. The key is to optimize it's usage, not rely on it. Wounding shot and switching over to dual wield style is a viable option, or lead shotting and switching out is a good idea as well. Use tactics, you're talking like you want to fight the whole battle using a bow. Any ranger doing that would be insane in any world. Think of it this way, you initiate battle with bow (From a distance) then as combat becomes more heavy then you would need to switch to the appropriate weapons - weapons more suited for close combat. Or vice versa, combat is easily in your favor, so you expect your opponent to flee so change accordingly, the results should be satisfactory.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject:

You guys are talking around yourselves. You agree to the fact that you gotta change up your stuff in combat now, but expect to be able to lay people out using just a bow. If someone is dual wielding daggers, you swap to a bow, say hello to 5-6 slams because of the advantage. Dont focus on the bows, focus on the combat style and weapon types. if you get the opportunity to use the bow, use it, but dont expect to squat on it for very long. If I was someone fighting a ranger, Bet your ass I would be using a mace and a shield. Because bows will screw you over if you dont watch yourself.

All I am realy saying is you guys are agreeing to one thing, and then saying it should be changed, by just saying it a lil different.

0 0 0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject:

Nope, just trying to help the guy out. I understand the system and like it very much. I'm an old player and I was losing interest in AR because it was getting hack n' slash. Love the changes just trying to explain to him that bows have a use and to not get discouraged. The changes kind of make me feel like a newb again - those were my best years of AR.

0 0 0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject:

LOL Hamp. Maybe I should have put [sarcastic][/sarcastic] around the "I love herb skill". Laughing

0 0 0
Trillian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Stats for Dec...?? [/addicted fiend... Sad]

0 0 0
Simpleton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about December, its a little early for that. But Novemeber might be an option.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject:

Must.. have.. November.. Gonk

0 0 0
Lorne
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Nov pk stats ready?

0 0 0
Saegen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps you could add a skill were a ranger wielding his bow can bash away the shield of there opponent. Like when your out of arrows and you bow bash except.. "swipe" or something like that. Like the sideswipe.. exactly like it.. That way rangers can again have at least a chance against a shield. (please criticise) (or complement)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
ForeverConfused

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:

Despite how horribly out of place this idea is, I'm going to reply to it.....
First of all, Rangers CAN still dual wield, and, since they still get increased enhanced damage to dual wielded weapon..... it's pretty practical to dual wield against someone wearing a shield.

Secondly....... This is the graveyard........

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> PK stats All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: