Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 20 hours.

Giants - two handed weapons in one hand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathewcaps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Giants - two handed weapons in one hand?

I thought giants were allowed to wield two handed weapons in one hand? How can I do this? Whenever I try to use my polearm, it doesnt allow me to use it in one hand.

0 0 0
Accident-Prone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject:

Polearms are two-handed weapons. You can wield heavier swords and the such that are usually two-handed for other races.

0 0 0
gomer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject:

Polearms and staffs are two-handed regardless of race. Some weapons are two-handed for all races except giants (which includes Minotaurs), such as the emerald sword or HUGE stone club. And then some weapons are two-handed for everybody, such as king slayer.

0 0 0
Mathewcaps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I see Ofcol guards using the ranseur, wich last I checked was a two handed weapon, and a shield. I am guessing this is some sort of mistake

0 0 0
Mathewcaps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject:

Now here are a few strange things...first of all the Storm headed hammer is a mace/club but doesnt give a giant their favored weapon bonus.

Huge Stone Clube weighs 40 - can be used by giants one hand
Storm headed hammer weighs 35 - cant be used by giants one hand.

doesnt make sense to me.

0 0 0
Mathewcaps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject:

Or howcome I can duel a Golden Claw when wielded with a huge stone club, but not with a frostbrand sword?

0 0 0
Mathewcaps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject:

However I have noticed that I can wield a huge stone club a duel with an emerald longsword. That seems alittle off too. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject:

Favoured weapon bonuses don't kick in fully till 50. Also, I think that the +hit/dam is for whichever is higher, favoured weapon or the weaopn itself. Not a combination.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject:

mathewcaps wrote:
I see Ofcol guards using the ranseur, wich last I checked was a two handed weapon, and a shield. I am guessing this is some sort of mistake

Area writers can make mobs wear any item on any slot they'd like. An Ofcol guard can be wearing the ranseur as a hat and the mud won't care. Take the equipment of mobs with several grains of salt.

Quote:
Now here are a few strange things...first of all the Storm headed hammer is a mace/club but doesnt give a giant their favored weapon bonus.

That requires both hands. In the "help favoured weapon" file, it clearly states:

* Giants have "Bonus using mace (+5/+7), off-hand mace (+4/+6)"; and
* "The values below refer only to primary weapons, unless specifically specified as off-hand or two-handed instead."

There's no two-handed value listed for mace, so giants do not have two-handed maces as favoured weapons, only primary and offhand.

Quote:
Huge Stone Clube weighs 40 - can be used by giants one hand
Storm headed hammer weighs 35 - cant be used by giants one hand.

doesnt make sense to me.

Two-handedness is a property of the weapon independent of weight. See my explanation at the end.

Quote:
Or howcome I can duel a Golden Claw when wielded with a huge stone club, but not with a frostbrand sword?

From the "help dual wield" helpfile:

* "However, the offhand weapon must be significantly lighter, for no one is identically strong and equally competent with both their hands to be able to wield two weapons of the same weight and be effective."

The huge stone club is significantly heavier than the claw. The frostbrand is not.

Quote:
However I have noticed that I can wield a huge stone club a duel with an emerald longsword. That seems alittle off too.

Why?

Your confusion stems from the fact that there are two different types of two-handed weapons:

a) "Normal" two-handed weapons are generally larger and heavier versions of one-handed weapons, and they can be wielded in one hand by anyone large and strong enough (giants, minotaurs, and most PC's under the effects of the enlarge spell). Most commonly-used two-handed weapons, such as huge stone club and emerald sword, fall into this category. These are also the weapons that giants and minotaurs need to use for the OVERBEAR technique from double grip (see the helpfile), since their hands are too big to overbear with normal one-handed weapons.

b) "Only" two-handed weapons require two hands regardless of race or class. Two-handed weapon classes, such as staff, bows, and polearms, automatically fall into this category. Also certain items, such as the anti-giant effigies and yes, your storm headed hammer, fall into this category as well, for various balance purposes. In the two examples I've cited, we emphatically do not want effigies dual wielded by anyone, and there's no way a wild weapon like the storm headed hammer would be so readily available or so high average if it didn't require both hands for everyone, giants and minotaurs included. Note that giants and minotaurs may NOT use the overbear technique with two-handed weapons of this type.

These are hard-coded weapon flags, so you can figure out which category a weapon belongs to with just a little bit of experimentation. Generally, if you see any not-terribly-heavy two-handed weapons, they'll often require both hands for everyone due to the nature of the weapon, since their two-handedness is NOT a consequence of their weight. A light staff, for example, still requires both hands to swing properly, and so on.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: