Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 10 hours.

What the fuck, guys? Denying my characters for nothing??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: What the fuck, guys? Denying my characters for nothing??

So.

I make a newbie, by name of Baervan, I get trans'd two seconds into the game proper to the renaming room. I ask what's wrong with my name, and state that I've been using it for YEARS here. No reply, just a deny.

Huzzah!

What's up with that?

By what name do you wish to be remembered?
Baervan
You are denied access.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I see idiots coming into the game all day.. using names like Masterslayer, Dickbiter, Thepwnage, and so on. And I get tired of seeing that shit. I see players praying about those sort of names as well, despite there's a decent chance theyre not going to stay more than ten minutes. However these people are new to the game and aren't accustomed to the rules, so for that I will give them mercy despite mine and other players reservations.

On the other hand, when a veteran player does the same stupid thing, picking a retarded name which is bound to piss the Immortals off, what I see is defiance, and contempt for the rules. The way you acted as if you were doing nothing wrong is just part of a charade of ignorance which I am certain you are putting on to dick around, because you have already been busted for breaking roleplay rules before. So if that is the way you feel about treating AR after all these years of playing, that its a big waste of time and you have to do things like that to amuse yourself, maybe its time you got banned and stopped wasting ours.

Incase you didnt get the point yet, its not the veterans on the game who're supposed to be the ones breaking the basic rules that first-timers break. This is not your personal playground.

0 0 0
The_Dark_Paladin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:

You tell'em Davairus woot *starts clapping*

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject:

Uh oh crap. That means I can't use marsd. Sighhh Sad

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

so why did you post this baer when you knew what he was going to say?

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

I had no idea what he was going to say, Louis. I should have expected something like this, though.

A: How have I broken roleplay? I hardly even get a chance to play anymore, therefore I hardly HAVE a chance to break roleplay. I log on from work, and I think the longest amount of time I've spent on AR here has been MAYBE 45 minutes.

B: What was wrong with Baervan? So far as I'm concerned it's a totally valid name. I honestly wanted to know what was wrong with it at the time, but you couldn't pull your head out of your ass long enough to say, "Hey, change it because 'blah blah blah'". I made a newbie 15 minutes later which was blatantly named after one of my Knights (Aravis) and had nothing. I'll just take it in the spirit in which I percieve it, a personal attack, because I can't figure out which rule I've 'broken'. Using some semblence of my ooc forum/chat name maybe. But just becaue I use a name I've been using in various places for years does not mean I intend to go on an ooc binge. There's other people who can do that.

C: There's MANY other people who have used their chat/forum alias' in game with no consequences, so why target me, huh? If you don't like me, that's fine, but this isn't YOUR personal playground either.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

In just a few seconds of Googling "Baervan" I found that it's listed as the name of a lesser deity in the Greyhawk AD&D world setting.

Might be one of the reasons why it was considered against the rules.

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Apparently no one googled my last few caballed characters, then.

Kletian, one of the final bosses from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Erevis Cale, whole series of books about him.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I think Dav's response above is that you, as an obvious veteran player, shouldn't even be pulling crap like using names from games or books, as you've just admitted to doing. You know it's against the rules, so that's probably why he skipped the formal greeting party and went straight to denial.

To avoid problems like this in the future, I'd advise you to actually take a few seconds and come up with an original character name that's not taken from another source. It'll probably clear up things like this from reoccurring.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:

while sebryn has the more valid point that the name Baervan isn't original, i think what dav meant was that you are using a name that like 90% of the regular pbase will immediately recognize through ooc affiliation and therefore will give you preferential treatment or otherwise different treatment from normal. i mean the furthest we let slide is having the same lastname on several sequential characters.

when i tell people to change their name, especially when it is obvious, all of them ask why, like they are oblivious and are trying to toy with me. you do get tired of it after a while and so when you were expecting a cordial explanation, you got the "don't bullshit me" deny. you may not play that often but you've been around to know at least that much.. like about names and descs.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject:

This is not a situation where you picked a perfectly fine slightly jaded name and then got raped unfairly. This is you picking an obviously retarded name to give us a problem. If you deny otherwise you are admitting to being a retard/RP-newb.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Because thats the only option.

*boo*

It is a possibility that Baer is retarded thoh...

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:

I think Charles Baer was the ***INVENTOR*** of the video game. Like, he was the first one with the idea.

::actually, it's Ralph Baer.

Last edited by Jamus on Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject:

So, you're implying that I set out to rankle you with a name I had to be 100% sure would cause issues?

You're wrong. If I had a log of the chat, I'd post it. I wanted to make a character for surge and couldn't think of a name, so I settled on Baervan. But, if you think that's the case, you must of course be right. I mean, how could you ever possibly be wrong.

Right?

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:

And Baer has finaly said what we have all been avoiding.

Dav wears red panties.

Oh wait. SHIT. Sorry dav.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject:

Baer wrote:
state that I've been using it for YEARS here

Thanks for stating the problem, in a nutshell. What part of OOC don't you understand?

Why are you even rolling a char if you're not going to bother taking the time to give him a non-OOC name?

If it had been me, for a stunt like that I would've added a temp newbie ban lasting exactly as long as the surge. You know better, or ought to.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject:

Are you saying you were 100% sure it WOULDN'T cause issues? How about you answer that question? Its far more relevant.

Look at everyone else's posts in this thread - you have nobody on your side. We all have to watch newbs all day doing that, without cool dudes like you adding in your 2c. Personally, I consider it a deliberate attempt to annoy - but I'll increase that to everyone. Despite that, you were given a chance to rename. You decided to argue and bring it out here on the forum for everyone to see that as well, instead of dealing with it ithrough provided channels like the complaint notes and appeals. No doubt that'd be a complete fucking waste of time.

I'd like everyone who's been playing several years to know, if you dont already, that I'm NOT going to waste the time I could be spending coding with sitting in a room justifying why a character with such a blatantly bad name should be left to run around the realms. I will transfer it and I will wait for your new name, and if you give me any "why" I will delete it. Because I'm mighty smashum fist, that's why. Because you know what you are doing and how much we have to get done.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I'm taking it I can't name my next character Divsky?

0 0 0
Baer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

Stu: My bad, point taken. Sorry.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: