Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 11 hours.

RP points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: RP points.

RP points.

RP points would be a sort of reward for good RP by players. Players and staff could award them as they see fit, for stand-out RP by other players.

They would accumulate one point (that can be awarded) for each level gained, so that players can reward RP as they see fit. There would be no in-game reward as far as the game engine, but it would be a nice perk for players who spend the time and do RP to see that people notice and appreciate it. Not to mention, it could also be a good indication for cabal Imms to see the activity and ability of the applicants. As well, staff could use this to see what players in general are doing an overall fine job RPing.

Sounds cool.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I like the idea, assuming it's restricted somewhat. Here are some of my suggestions:

- Limit the ability to "dish out points" to caballed/coteried characters and Immortals; otherwise I see it as a big hose-fest filled with OOC buddies giving each other points.

- Limit the giving to those within your grouping range. This makes it so that somebody can't use "who new" and start campaigning with a bunch of newbies to give him points, or whatever other form of abuse develops.

- Imms would have the ability to "deduct" points based on poor RP, such as OOC slips, talking OOC, "1337 5P34K," etc.

- Also, make it anonymous so that the recipient doesn't see "Bob has granted you an RP award!" or whatever. This way it's not going to be seen as much as a competition piece if it's just something gained rather than campaigned for.

As a possible "incentive" for this, maybe a line could be added to someone's appearance that changes (similar to the quest line) based on the number of points they've been awarded. "He's enchanted entire villages with his charm." Or something like that...

I like it, anyway. With some refinement I think it would be a great way to reinvigorate a lot of people's sense of roleplay.

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
- Limit the ability to "dish out points" to caballed/coteried characters and Immortals; otherwise I see it as a big hose-fest filled with OOC buddies giving each other points.

I agree. Good point.

Quote:
- Limit the giving to those within your grouping range. This makes it so that somebody can't use "who new" and start campaigning with a bunch of newbies to give him points, or whatever other form of abuse develops.

I was going to say that. Good point.

Quote:
Imms would have the ability to "deduct" points based on poor RP, such as OOC slips, talking OOC, "1337 5P34K," etc.

Great suggestion. I think negative RP points SHOULD be harmful though. Not extremely harmful but maybe for ever negative RP point -2 hp.

Quote:
As a possible "incentive" for this, maybe a line could be added to someone's appearance that changes (similar to the quest line) based on the number of points they've been awarded. "He's enchanted entire villages with his charm." Or something like that...

Sounds cool. I like it.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Yeah! lets all reward RP since ya know, it isn't part of the pre-requisites of the game. If you're any good at RPing at all, you get rewarded through being memorable or getting a custom title. And if you need incentives to roleplay, maybe you should re-evaluate how you play the game. Roleplayers role play, it's just that easy. And those roleplayers generally lead by example.

For some reason, assigning RP points in game seems like it would detract from the atmosphere, but I guess it might just be me.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Clif... RP will continue to be enforced, regardless of whether "good RP" is rewarded or not. There's a difference, however, between someone constantly telling their group "I'm gonna go PK that guy, brb" (and nobody saying anything to him) and someone using emote/esay/pose/etc. to the fullest extent of their ability.

I don't view this as "reward the people who are doing what they're supposed to"; I view it as "reward the ones that consistently go above the minimum." If somebody's RP consists of rolling out the tired-ass thee's and thou's, you won't see them getting any props from the rest of the players. However, if they consistently keep their mannerisms intact (i.e. always speaking with a lisp, never initiating fights, etc.), then they're going to get noticed as doing a good job.

Look at how many times people ask "how should a(n) [insert race/class] act," "what's considered good RP," and similar questions. Instead of trying to get someone to write their RP for them, they could just look for the people with lots of RP points (reflected in the line in their description) and perhaps interact with or observe them. It might foster a bit of copycat-ism, but it's been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Besides - if your character was already well-known for acting a certain way and all of a sudden a newbie is running around mimicking you, it'll probably be amusing to the rest of the players that gave your character the kudos in the first place.

As I suggested - if you make the assigning of points completely anonymous, then it shouldn't have that much negative impact. You might be a duergar shaman that hates that elf paladin's guts in-character, but you might respect the elf paladin's uppity elitist RP enough as a player to want to give the other player an "atta boy," and this would be a minimally-invasive way to do that.

If anything, it's a helluva lot better than:

note to Elf_Paladin
note subj Your RP
note + I hate you, but you rock.
note post

0 0 0
Erlwith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how rewarding RP points (anonymously at that) would detract from the gaming atmosphere. In fact, I'd guess it would add to the atmosphere. Pk is not what this game is all about, it's a large part of it, but it's not solely about PK. So you saying that RP is a pre-req. for this game in jest is foolish.

The nobles, the heralds, all major parts of the game (nobles less now then heralds), that do far more RPing then they do PKing. Does this make them any less part of the gaming 'atmosphere'? No. So to say that rewarding people for exceptional RP would ruin the gaming atmosphere is like saying giving people custom titles for RPing would ruin the gaming atmosphere. The difference is, that RP points allow staff and*players* who are the ones constantly interacting with each other to choose who they feel goes above and beyond the regular and overused RP templates, and reward them for it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I have read up on many mud systems for things like this and they seem to be very disaster-prone and so I think its best for us to avoid it. If you find a game that has done a good job of roleplay points, "point" it out so I can see for myself. As for me I'm still looking for any evidence that its workable.

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion, rewards for RP should be given OOC and have no effect on your charactor in game. And we already have a rewards system wether its informal or not. Check out the graveyard, who has the most posts? Good RPers getting kudos from other players for their skills or complaints from other players because they're gone. (Also graveyard threads who have gone off topic, but those don't count XD.) In addition, we also have threads like this one http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and

http://abandonedrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2270

to be recognized for good rp. If you keep an eye out, there will be various posts where you can post the best charactor for each class. That's where you'll see good RPers and or PKers. The very best can do both, but the props go both ways.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

If RP points are implemented, players should not be able to use them. I would say that only imms would be able to (and maybe some sort of automatic system of distribution). With the players being able to, it really takes you out of the immersive world you are trying to get into.

Say Noliperus/Drigoch are chilling, having a good conversation, so they start awarding eachother RP points. What the player behind the char is thinking is,
"They have cool RP", instead of "What should I say next" and thinking I am noliperus, and I am actually talking to Drigoch. Rather than I am typing in crap that sounds cool to get myself some rp points.

Only immortals should be able to award the points.

Having the players being able to dish them out would be GAY.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:

That'd only cause another problem:

"The immortals (who and whoever) are out to get me!"

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

This post is awaiting validation

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: This post is awaiting validation

This post is awaiting validation
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: