Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 13 hours.

Sliths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Sliths

A while ago I heard that the reason Sliths were removed as a viable monk race is because they have a bonus to melee speed that other races do not.

Question is, is the speed "bonus" still in place for Sliths? Or was that just a rumor?

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

What the heck is "melee speed"? Do you mean they get more hitroll? (Same as what anyone else would have at 22 dex.) More chance of additional attacks? (Just the tail attack.) Combat rounds somehow go faster for them? (Uh, no way.) I have no idea what sort of hidden bonus you might be referring to by "melee speed".

Sliths were intended to be warrior-only when originally implemented. When I had taken my leave from AR, the interim Imms added slith monks as an option (along with other non-intended combos, such as minotaur warriors). Since my return, the slith class selection has been restored back to the original intent, that's all.

The original intent was to give each of the pure fighter classes (warrior, berserker, and ranger) their own "custom race" as an additional option. There are no plans to deviate from this original intent for sliths, minotaurs, and werebeasts.

0 0 0
Gavriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

I thought "melee speed" was fairly self explanatory, but you did answer my question so thank you.

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

You probably meant "melee accuracy" if you were referring to hitroll, or "melee frequency" if you were referring to number of attacks. "Melee speed" wouldn't refer to what you think it does: everyone's melee attacks occurs during mud-wide combat rounds, which ensures that everyone's melee attacks occur at the same speed (i.e. per-round). You might "visualize" more accurate or more frequent attacks as having more inherent "speed" as delivered by your character, but those of us who work with the nuts and bolts of the mud take concepts like "speed" quite literally.

0 0 0
Mendek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:

Monks had a 'speed' attribute listed on Help Encumberance for whatever reason. He might be referring to that.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:

May be wrong but I think you need combat style advantage to perform the slith tail attack.

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

cd ar/src/
grep slight_tail_attack *
pico +<line> <file>.c
read a bit
not just throw random information, because i have done this for 6 years and these AR newbies belive about anything they are told!

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

That was very "helpful", m1co. I'm assuming that since you must have at least two brain cells to rub together to realize that we Imps very much already know how to find the answer without needing a how-to from you (and it's not "slith_tail_attack", even if you had spelled it correctly), I must therefore conclude then that you are flaunting your "impressive" knowledge of elementary-school UNIX commands to others as a way of compensating for your shortcomings in other areas, since you certainly weren't trying to be helpful.

We aren't always enthusiastic about diverting our personal time toward hunting down esoteric trivia just because someone was idly curious on the forum, especially if we don't already have a telnet/shell client open, or if we're somewhere where we can't readily do it (such as at work). If you're going to waste forum space to tell us how we're supposed to answer questions, then I'm going to tell you to go make a character and go test it for yourself instead of demanding and expecting it to be spoon-fed to you.

In the future, if you're going to be a smartass, then don't expect courteous responses from the staff. It's not worth our time to be helpful to people like you.

And for the record, sliths only perform their tail attack during superior combat style, yes. IIRC, it was changed back when Warlord forms were also made superior-style only.

Last edited by Burzuk on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Gavriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

Aaaah. Thanks for the info about tail attacks. Hah, I was wondering why it never worked for me.

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

hah, elementary sch00l, i skipped it, to play muds, l0l:P
besides im teh l33t haxx0r, so gimme a break, k?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: