Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 12 hours.

Tats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kieros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Tats

I was wondering if their was a way to get tattoos back into the game. I thought it was really cool back then to have odoacers tat or some of the others. It maybe a small novelty without much bonus but I think it would make peoples chars more memorable and special

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject:

So do something memorable and special that makes the imm's take note of and you'll be awarded with a tattoo.

Duh.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject:

Is there a particular reason why there is sudden wave of begging for the return of old hat? I got by fine for the last 5 years without tattoos. All it is, is an additional string of text, some colour on it. Novelty. Was quite cool sitting through the canned script Odo wrote to give me one though, the fact that he'd gone through all the effort to make it up. I really can only appreciate the need for tattoos as a form as imm/mortal interaction.

0 0 0
kieros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject:

i believe their is something to be said for more mort/imm interaction so much crap goes on since their seems to be little mort/imm interaction. I think its a simple addition that new players will see like wow I can be like him look at his cool tattoo. And just an added piece of appreciation from imms to morts upholding the value of ar. Be like me and you will be rewarded. It doesn't even have to be like the justice handcuffs like u said a cool novelty piece of text may or may not have an affect. I think the little things can make a big difference

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I interact with mortals all the time. And we have Herald reputations to distinguish character RP.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Olyn, that's cause you can't go wizinvis. If they can see you, they'll interact with you. And Herald reputations don't mean anything.

If you fuck up enough, you get the mark of failure. So if you really want a tatoo just make a karleen.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I've addressed this before and was shot down as usual. But if you are looking for some form of visible notoriety that is basically fluff (no powers or stats given) then why cant we insititute a custom title quest or something like that. You kill 5 elves in pvp and you can choose to give yourself the elfslayer title.
Maybe you have spent x amount of gold on gambled items so you could have a title the gambler.
Healed so much damage on a player could earn the chance to choose a title like the life saver.
Killed so many winter mobs, etc. Basically have a mob in seringale that lists out what titles you may pick from from the accomplishments that you have completed.
Pay x amount of coin to have said title attached to your name. It doesnt seem like that would be much work and you KNOW players love that kind of recognizement. Is this really that bad of an idea and would it really take that much work to do?

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject:

At least 80% of my interaction with mortals is initiated by me. I show up and start something with them to spice their boring ranking or training up.

As to the custom titles, why would those minor accomplishments that every character will eventually reach deserve custom titles? Immortals already give out titles on occassion. I see no need for it. A george carlin quote comes to mind:

"Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car."

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:

While I normally agree with most of your points Olyn, with the argument you put forth, why have pk stats, ratings, etc? The title wouldnt be for minor accomplishments. It wouldnt be for you killed 10 dryads in the forest, or at 10000 ducks in your lifetime. I was thinking about the more noteable things, like x amount of times you killed a certain race in pk, how much you healed someone when you had pk adrenaline, how much damage you have done to people in pvp encounters, things like that. But again, truthfully, whatever. It doesnt hurt or hinder me either way and I just thought it was close to the tattoo idea so I thought I would throw this out there.

0 0 0
RebornShadows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Become a Herald and hope Mama Vevier is around thats how I got the custom title of Of Valkrin the Furry Conternder of Love.

God I miss my herald... Sad

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject:

i'm always throwing goofy custom titles on people. i think all of the recent titled characters in graveyard were my doing except for resatimm's goat wedding prank victims. so there.

ergorion, i don't think it's fair of you to write off herald reputations as not meaning anything. for awhile now there have been rules for heralds so that people are nominated for reputation x because of their distinguishing characteristics. the ideas that have been tossed around in this thread (custom titles, tattoos) would also be granted because of extraordinary roleplay. so are you dismissing herald reps because they're granted by mortals? they are doing basically the same thing.

stiehl, your idea of custom titles by killing some elves sounds like it would be a fun novelty for a few days until everyone killed elves or started gambling a billion items and then the entire who list would be populated with Blah the Elfslayer and Oogly the Gambling Addict. i guess it would provide some lead-ins for rp ("heyyyyy you hate elves too!?!?! or "how's the roulette going, bob?") but is it really all that interesting? all it does is show everyone how you spend your spare time...

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Vanisse wrote:
stiehl, your idea of custom titles by killing some elves sounds like it would be a fun novelty for a few days until everyone killed elves or started gambling a billion items and then the entire who list would be populated with Blah the Elfslayer and Oogly the Gambling Addict. i guess it would provide some lead-ins for rp ("heyyyyy you hate elves too!?!?! or "how's the roulette going, bob?") but is it really all that interesting? all it does is show everyone how you spend your spare time...

lol elves.

It might (not promising anything, my mind's kind... hazy) increase pking... maybe? Not sure...

0 0 0
Ceridwel
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Mummy wrote:
It might (not promising anything, my mind's kind... hazy) increase pking... maybe? Not sure...

Get a tattoo when you kill the Juggernaut in your range to take that the title from them!

Last edited by Ceridwel on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Promote pking: Multi-tiered titles - kill 10 dwarves in pvp and you are The slayer of dwarves, kill 15 and you are Pillager of Dwarven Lives, whatever...just completely random titles and numbers. These would be titles that would have to be purchased every time they changed ...make that 10,000 coins per change. Titles could promote pking as well as generate rp. If you were an elf, perhaps you would take much more offense at the human warrior with the title of Eater of Elven Children (again, an example). Thats pretty much it, my last chance at explaining what I envisioned, which I completely understand is not everyone's opinion and may not even be in the best interest of the game. Since the only title I would earn would be "Smoker of Aruncus' herb" or "Even a bard beat me" titles, in the end it doesn't much affect me.

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject:

but this custom titling sort of turns your character into a one-dimensional person in a way - you're defined to other people simply by how many elves you killed (why elves?? why not gnomes Sad i'm hungry) or whatever. and that would largely impact your roleplaying either from the people who were reacting to your title or maybe from your own playing perspective (me hungry me want more elves). if it were up to me - of course i am more interested in enriching the roleplay aspect of AR than the playerkilling part - if you wanted something like stiehl's suggestion it would be better off added as a line below your description much like current herald reputations.

the custom titles that we have now are more based off of a general perception of the character's actions, so there's more room and potential to roleplay than just "i love smoking weed let's have a pot party at NS" ...

anyway that's my perception of it. personally it would be fun to have a list of So and So was an "elf killer" "pot smoker" "gambler" etc. etc. on the graveyard, not so much as a custom title.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject:

We've already made a pig's ear of the Keepers cabal because of my (and your) lack of contemplation, and that puts me off attempting more new stuff, especialy on whims like "oh wouldnt tattoos be nice to have back". They went away for a reason. Deal with it until they return.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject:

Additionally, if it were as simple as killing 5 gnomes or something, I'd get a friend to help me out.

And Herald reps are pretty sweet. I remember multikilling a certain bard and drow thief repeatedly every time I logged on till they reputed me what I wanted. Hahaha, good times. Laughing

Anyway, what you guys are failing to realize are that characters are remembered for two reasons, ridiculously superb pk (I discount all of pip's though cause he always logs in and out so conveniently; although it doesn't make him any less ridiculous) or ridiculously superb rp. The commonality between the two is ridiculously superb. So think about the number of characters you remember and how many of them had special titles.

If custom titles were attained through simple grinding, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mean shit. Imagine if the who list had 4 people with 'The Explorer' beacuse they've been to all areas. I know I wouldn't be a 5th.

0 0 0
Stiehl26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:

You make some valid points. I was thinking more that a custom title would help define someone at that point in their AR lives. Note that a person doesnt have to take a title they are eligible for. You may be eligible for multiple titles. Perhaps in your life you have killed 5 of every race or whatever the arbitrary number is that would allow you to be able to choose a title. You would be able to choose which most represented you, or none at all. It seems that no one thinks this is an idea worth doing anything with so I guess lets just let this die.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: