Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 4 hours.

Giant Strength

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nakachi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Giant Strength

I think the 'giant strength' spell should allow the person it is cast on to wield an oversized weapon in one hand. Ex: human warrior with 'giant strength' able to wield the Spine of Schwartzer in one hand and so on. Once the spell wore off they would just drop the weapon due to its weight. When I first started playing AR I thought the spell already did it, but was dissapointed when I found out it didn't. Just as 'slow' (more regen/walking takes more moves/takes away dex) and 'haste' (less regen/more attacks in battle/walking takes 1 move in most rooms/adds dex) have two or three notable affects, I believe 'giant strength' should as well. It also kind of makes sense GIANT strength, as in the strengh of a giant. In terms of how much weight you can carry, I'll leave that up to others to decide whether it should or should not increase that.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Strength has nothing to do with weapon size and there's already two spells in the game that affect size.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject:

I think there's something to this idea. Most of the oversized weapons that I've seen are pretty darn heavy and having a jacked warrior get even more jacked with giant strength, it would make sense for him to be able to hold a huge weapon in one hand. However, I think he would wield it clumsily and therefore as a check on the proposed change, I think there should be a penalty to parry because the dude is slow on the moving that huge ass weapon around.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:

It's too much work to implement, and it won't be used anyway. It'll just get m1co types banned for multi'ing (cleric/mage)/dex warrior combos because the only way it becomes worthwhile is to have the spell casted on you, versus having an item with random casting. Short duration from non-player spells negates the point.

That, and what Olyn said.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Just saying, there are pills in the game that cast giant strength.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Doesnt enlarge do this? It actually messes up things more than its helpful so it got reclassed as an offensive spell I think.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
Doesnt enlarge do this? It actually messes up things more than its helpful so it got reclassed as an offensive spell I think.

Enlarge does do this. I think the point was that since other spells affect more than one attribute, giant strength could have this effect on more than one attribute. I mean, what use is giant strength to a warrior who has his strength maxed anyway, and who isn't fighting a shaman who communed weaken on him? This would just give another dimension to the giant strength spell.

In the realm of giving giant strength more than one effect, I thought that perhaps it could provide a better parry to an extent because parry is, after all, a product of strength.

There are a couple instances where this might blur the lines of balance within the game. The first and foremost would be with high str classes who already have hella high strength and good parry like fire giants, etc. For these races, the bonus to parry given by giant strength would be quite small, but perhaps worth it if you happen to be ranking with an illusionist or something.

Another balance issue might come with shamans who do get the giant strength spell. First of all, a plug for the change would be, it would give shamans a reason to upkeep giant strength because they don't really have a reason to now. The balance issue would come with shamans frenzying. The question there would be how much would giant strength cancel the frenzy affect on parry?

Maybe giant strength would just allow you to carry more weight than your character can normally carry. This way low str races like halflings and gnomes and such can carry a little bit more equipment with the cost of keeping up giant strength all the time. And the increase in weight capacity can correlate to the bonus from the giant strength spell.

Anyway, just throwing some ideas out there as to how to make the giant strength spell more dimensional and more commonly used.

0 0 0
Olyn
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Giant strength is useful. If your strength is down 4 on roll, use the trains on hp or mana or moves instead and it's like having 40 free hp or 80 moves or whatever 4 trains get you these days. Or it can let you wear some of the good minus strength gear out there without having to compensate with other gear. Also, there are other things out there that lower strength besides the weaken spell.

0 0 0
Gadlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject:

giant strength is very useful as is, havn't seen a need to change it myself.
if you can't find a use for it, cast it on your pet, they enjoy it slightly.

if you want to wield a larger weapon, use enlarge.

0 0 0
bassball

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Like Nakachi I also thought giant strength made you able to wield oversized weapons in one hand like a giant. But think about it, that doesn't really make sense. Sure you're stacked and can probably pick that big ol' fetchin' spine of Schwarzter up off the ground, but if the shaft of the thing has a diameter of like a foot, then how the fetch are your ripped, but tiny baby hands gonna hold on to the thing?

Hence, why enlarge makes you able to wield them, even with a smaller strength bonus. Cause your hands get bigger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: