Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 20 hours.

Illithid chaotic only?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Illithid chaotic only?

I recently discovered through character creation that illithids are limited to chaotic only.

Now, I know that AR is not D&D, that we have our own original world here, but we all know that many of the core concepts in AR have been borrowed from the D&D world. Illithids are one of them. And I'm confused why AR illithids are chaotic only when the original illithids from D&D are lawful only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithid (look under the image at the top-right of the page)

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_flayer (From the Forgotten Realms wiki, look at the same place)

They're supposed to live in a very rigid, structured society. To me the illithid is the epitome of lawful evil. When I think of chaotic evil I think of fire giants, evil berserkers or deranged psychopaths, not illithids. They're supposed to be like evil vulcans, all logical and super-intelligent and everything. There seems to be a misconception in this game that chaotic is somehow more evil than lawful, and illithids are supposed to be an example of just why that's not true.

I would just like to see this changed, because I think it's impossible to really play a chaotic illithid. It's just doesn't fit their race.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject:

see the thread Logicbehind evil justices.

I pointed out that lawful in AR must mean something else, since I also pointed out the point of view you're talking about with lawful, yet Lawful in AR means following seringale laws, and not so much about following strict code and structure of society in general while punishing and vengeance against breachers and shitting on the guys under you.

Devils are lawful evil, they respect, honor, and follow the words of those above them while getting shit on, in turn they expect the same from those below them while shitting on them.

Drow are like that too, and The person who rigidly adhered to structure and rules, and always followed orders in a cabal like Legion, I'd say they're lawful. the chaotics are the ones that try to assassinate the leader to get his position.

but if you're lawful, you cant attack seringale, so AR must mean something else by lawful.

Edit: also, perhaps they are lawful evil underground, but on the surface where all races are inferior (to them), they'd probably be chaotic. ethos is not defined solely by self, but by self in relation to others as well.

And Illithids melt faces anyway. love em as they are. Not sure if they benefit at all from being any other ethos, since they cant use weapons.

edit: alignment is your world view about self or others, and ethos is the manner in which these views are expressed.

or

ethos is how you treat everything, and alignment is the underlying reasons.

And illithids would want to enslave even justice types, but you can be slayed/outcasted/denied from the game for being a lawful and attacking in town, and you can't become a justice to enslave everyone, only a Legion could do that, and that'd put justice on the other side of the deny fence again.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject:

OMFG... okay, for the record...

AR "LAWFUL" != D&D "LAWFUL

'help lawful':
Code:
'LAWFUL'

Choosing a lawful ethos is a very deep commitment.  It means that you are
demonstrating a willingness to obey all the laws and follow all the orders
that have been given by a recognised superior authority, without question.

Being lawful means that you follow laws at ALL times.  It does not imply
that you have a right to enforce them in absence of policement.  This is
a vigilante, which is a neutral ethos.

Because the laws of Seringale have been decreed by immortals, to a lawful
they must take precedent above ALL others - above cabal duties, above the
orders of any mortal master.  Punishment will come from the immortals should
a lawful choose to break them.  Because of this, a lawful ethos is not right
for many cabals - it will get in the way of duty.

Although lawfuls are NOT allowed to attack or steal within a protected area,
they enjoy extra protection from the Justice cabal as lawful citizens.

NOTE: Those of lawful ethos who break the law will have their ethos changed
to neutral ethos after their apprehension.  This also incurs a penalty.

Illithids can only be illusionists... from 'help illusionist':
Code:
Specializing in deception, the illusionist wields considerable power and
defensive capability.  An understanding of thought allows the illusionist
to manipulate the thoughts of others, to fool them into believing they
fight faster or slower, that they are gigantic, tiny, or stupid.  Once of
high enough stature, an illusionist may even create an illusion of an entire
creature, and command it.

Their entire skillset is built for causing chaos and disrupting things. It's the antithesis to Seringale law, therefore chaotic.

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't know, the thing that pissed me off about the illithid chaotic-only things was that they can't be Mystics. I think it would be pretty sweet to roll up an illu, joing Mystics, and put all your trains in mana, get mana gear and see if you could break 2k mana.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject:

uh.. thats what I've been saying Vhrael. and anyway, a skillset of a class doesn't determine chaotic or lawful, its how you use it. you're just seeing it in one perception way.

0 0 0
Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Also from "Help Illusionist":

Code:
Ethos: neutral or chaotic
Align: any

Vhrael's not just seeing it from one perception. He's seeing it, essentially, the way it is. I admit that they can be neutral and neutral =/= chaotic, but the point is that their nature is to deceive. Skill sets do determine alignment when the alignment for the class is limited. For example, berserker.

Is the issue that illithids cannot be lawful as in or that they can only be chaotic? The first doesn't matter so much, since illithids can only be illusionists and illusionists can't be lawful.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Boiled down:

AR illithids are not D&D illithids.

AR lawful is not D&D lawful.

It is the way it is because it's the way it is.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject:

My argument wasn't that illithids should be allowed to be lawful, I completely understand that this doesn't fit in with the illusionist class. Perhaps if there was another illithid class they could be lawful, but that would be an entirely different circumstance.

What I don't like is that illithids are entirely limited to chaotic only. I brought up the example of D&D illithids being lawful-only to illustrate how this is very contrary to the widely accepted illithid concept. Again, I understand that AR is not D&D, but if we stray too far from the concept we're borrowing from, why even call them illithids?

I just think that illithids shouldn't be chaotic only. In fact, I don't think they should be chaotic at all. It would make a lot more sense for them to be neutral only rather than chaotic only, but I would be okay with them being able to choose from both. From AR's helpfile:

Quote:
Chaotic Evil:
From the common bandit to powerful warrior-lords, many choose to
follow the path of chaotic evil. These are the ones prone to violence,
the scoundrels and murderers, the curse and bane of society. Their
only law is the belief that might makes right. Power in its rawest,
purest form is the only order among this type, as they only obey those
capable of crushing them. Yet true chaotic evils will not
be content to serve their master for long, as it is their nature to
fight and overthrow, to compete in the eternal struggle to become
the most powerful.

I just can't imagine an illithid as being a "scoundrel" and murderer, or the curse of bane of society. They are supposed to have a strict, rigid society of rule and law, and a quick visit in AR to Enthema would support that. Certainly there seems to be a hierarchy among them.

So, sure, I understand that they can't be lawful because they are not bound by the immortal-granted laws of the over-world, but I just can't see them being RPed out as chaotic. Again, I see the chaotics as the insane psychopaths, not like the illithids who seem very more calculating.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject:

well chaotic is freedom and no qualms about choosing the most selfish path. you can be a cold and calculating, calm and collected chaotic evil. they dont all have to be insane. chaotic evil is more like completely without any hesitation in the most direct path. illithid would exemplify this among the "lesser races" since they would be unlikely to consider lesser races worth getting along with, other than to use for power.

all helpfiles are not completely inclusive, just examples to interpret what sort of direction to go.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
well chaotic is freedom and no qualms about choosing the most selfish path. you can be a cold and calculating, calm and collected chaotic evil. they dont all have to be insane. chaotic evil is more like completely without any hesitation in the most direct path.

Quote:
Neutral Evil:
Living by the phrase "by any means necessary", neutral evils use any
and all methods at their disposal to achieve what they want. Honor
and scruples exist only as weaknesses to exploit, and cruelty is but
another means of coercion. Whether through taking advantage of laws
or breaking them while their prey is lulled by its false security,
neutral evils are bound only by the power they have and their lust
for more.

Sounds like you just paraphrased Neutral Evil pretty well.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject:

well a neutral evil would go in on contracts, following the law, and other things when benefitting them, a chaotic evil would care less. that was the latter part you quoted.

0 0 0
Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject:

Since illusionists are both neutral and chaotic, and they're an illithid's only option, why not just let them be neutral? I honestly can't see them being lawful, but they don't strike me as blatantly chaotic. Actually, they don't strike me as being anything but just plain evil. They're simply malevolent.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: