Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 7 hours.

thinking about changing the tether for aggro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: thinking about changing the tether for aggro

been thinking permanent aggro from mobs is a bit pointless for everyone, we want it to matter in pk due to summon traps, bait etc, wandering into mobs you forgot about. but then there's the dont quit to avoid aggro rule. and that's an ok rule. until like 3 hours have passed and nobody cares anymore,

so.. thoughts?

maybe they only forget you after 30 mins
maybe they only forget you after you enter guildhalls (obviously that's pretty high safety area)
maybe forget you after a certain distance is exceeded

i prefer the time based one

0 0 0
Voltron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject:

There's a rule to not quit to avoid aggro mobs? Like as in your charmie turns on you, you can't then quit out and re-log back in 1 minute later? Cause I'm pretty sure I've had Tzakrid do that while fighting me. Of course I have no proof here. And I'm not trying to call him out or get him punished or whatever. Not a big deal. Just clarification. There's a rule?

I would offer my input, but honestly I had no idea mobs held aggro forever like that.. That seems crazy.

0 0 0
Morbious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject:

I think it might need a little attention. I've had a mob follow me from Darkhaven all the way to my guildhall in seringale. Forgot about it, left my guild and he was waiting for me right outside. Hurt bad too. So I'm for a slight change in aggro length

0 0 0
Stephen2_Aust

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Wait, what? That's a rule? Don't quit out/relog because you accidentally fireballed 3 nymphs at once?

0 0 0
Arishel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I think 30 minutes sounds about right, a time limit, obviously the best and perhaps easiest option to code. (My 1st.)

If you make it guildhall (entry) then maybe you have to stay in the guild until the mob comes to the entrance and the guardian says to them you're protected by the guild, and that's the end of it. Leaving you with the consequences of attacking the mob in the first place. (What about when I accidentally blindness dust/fireball the mob and didn't mean it? Well, it's part of the game to learn from mistakes.) (My 2nd)

The distance being the least favorite of the three. Flight would rule the roost here, and other skills such as gate/heavens gate/word of recall. Unless you made it a walking distance affect. (My 3rd favorite).

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject:

I think the randomness of running into a mob you forgot you aggrod while fleeing PK is an interesting part of the game. Why not just get rid of the don't quit rule? Its the only one I see flaunted constantly in the open, mostly because people don't know about it, I would imagine. Adrenaline keeps you from leaving immediately just like it does for PK. I'm not sure why you'd be allowed to leave the realms to escape another player, but not to reset mob behavior. The RP angle kinda stinks, but overall I say just ditch it.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject:

Arishel, I don't like the idea of making you wait in your guildhall for the mob to meet you there. I feel like that just adds one more reason to guild sit.

I like the 30 minute idea, gives you enough time to have to be aware of the mob without having it hanging over your head for the long session. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if the mob goes aggro on its way back to where it began.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject:

Stephen2_Aust wrote:
Wait, what? That's a rule? Don't quit out/relog because you accidentally fireballed 3 nymphs at once?

Unless there is direct specific attempt to pull more than one, people who make a mistake in getting multiple aggros or the aggro of a heavy hitting mob always do this trick, even though this rule is supposedly in effect.

I see it all the time. I usually quit if that happens and It's getting late enough that I feel like leaving anyway. In which case, it begs the question: As it is on a case by case basis, and as people can log out and log in whenever they feel like playing, unless they logout-in within 2 seconds after aggroing multiple mobs ior a high end mob, how can you prove that they didnt log out for a few minutes or 10 for lunch or some other need, to log back in later? Getting multi-aggro is as good a reason as any to log out and go do something else you might have been putting off.

you just can't really police it unless you see a person aggro 3 mobs, go sleep and wait the very minimum amount of time, quit, and relog within 1 second.

lets say they aggro multiples, how is it any different to relog as it is to just go to another ranking area, considering most ranking areas are NOT places you're going to run to when fighting with other players, maybe opposing alignment rankign areas that happen to be the road to some other place, but certainly not same ranking areas that are pocket places.

if the TRUE reason was for PK reasons, they cant log out with PK adrenaline, so any accidental hits will have consequences the whole time they're on your ass, after which, if you've gotten your adrenaline to go away, you simply log anyway to avoid PK, which is also against the rules but people do. That also breaks the mob aggro.

If I aggro a mob, I dont go back to that area while PKing, thats common sense.

it seems like an excessively pedantic and yet superfluous rule that noone really cares, which also doesn't have any effect in PK.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject:

I say leave it as is. Some mobs are specifically set up to track through all areas to wherever the target is. This is a great equalizer for necromancer (and to a lesser degree dark knights). I have lost count of the times I couldnt kill a mob to raise it as a zombie, and then run into it 2 or 3 hours later during a PK attempt. Keep in mind, that as a level 50 necromancer, you will spend more than 2 hours raising a max level army, with 100 tick strength damned on each of them. That right there blows the 30 minute limit out of the water.. Also keep in mind, it is a rare person that quits and relogs to avoid an aggro mob. This rule would specifically target necromancers who CANNOT quit and relog because they would lose their army. Necromancers must take all this into consideration before trying to kill the mob that will track them, and/or track them out of the area...

Not to mention the classic long and drawn out battle, where one party is summoned and forced to flee into Daryth or Mordun, then wayyyy later flees into the Blood Forest where Mordun is waiting to attack his target... BUT WAIT! They get a rare flee where Mordun loses his "target" and is a basic aggro mob again, and attacks the attacker!! Turn about!

All this gives AR flavour, and is a fundemental aspect of "luck" and "risk".

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject:

Resatimm wrote:
Also keep in mind, it is a rare person that quits and relogs to avoid an aggro mob.

maybe if we're talking during hot PK, but during ranking, 60% is not rare.

the perma-aggro during a 2 hour prep period is over harsh for a necro.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject:

Its the price a necromancer pays for biting off more than he can chew. If you have ever fought a level 50 necromancer with a full strength damned army of elite mobs, you will know what I am talking about.

People just have to remember which areas to avoid. And really avoid pissing off the mobs that leave their area!!

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: