Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 4 hours.

Ranking why is it so hard/easy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Ranking why is it so hard/easy

I am trying to remember how hard ranking was back before surges existed. I don't think anyone really had a problem getting to lvl 40 back then because of the sheer amount of players it would be rare to find a group.

For goodies, you had timbers which were giving 1000xp and had a vuln that you could rank from I think 35 to mid 40's and again finish on undead warriors which had a vuln and the five which hasn't changed u always needed a big group for efficiency.

For evils it has been the same but the shire was a cake walk because you could do it non stop. Now these days we have surges, but a small pbase so you have people who wait around get bored frustrated and end up leaving only to come back a few days later. Now for me I play a lot and I generally only make chars that can tank, so I can either solo or use a pet and another guy.

My suggestion would be to just double the xp, if the goal is to populate the mud at all times and promote more people at 50 then why not do so. It is hard enough ranking a char during a surge from 40 to 50 anyway. Looking at a 20k debt for a drow ninja at level 44 is not easy to overcome. even if you are getting 800 xp per kill, you still need to kill something 20+ times to rank. I would say have surges more for practicing skills and gaining gold, and just double xp to get more people on at any time.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I generally stick with tanky characters too, for the reason that I can solo myself very well. The problem with doubling exp is the same as halving mob HP while doing nothing to prevent fighter classes from having it too easy: a bunch of trash characters of the human warrior variety are rolled up to bottom feed on large EXP holed characters, leading to rage deletes. It also fails to get at the root of the problem is the overwhelming damage and hp of mobs compared to magic using classes. double exp of 0 mobs killed is still 0.

0 0 0
Pops

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Surges concentrate the player base at certain times. Just doubling xp all the time wont accomplish that. It is definately easier to rank a tanking class than any other, simply because they will always have potions available to them. You have a level fourty five warrior sitting around waiting to rank, all you need is two other people to group with. Hell, you can do it with just one other if you really want to. Anyone in group range is fine, as long as RP requirements don't get in the way (different align, cabals, no protection, etc.). With a mage, (especially non-invoker) you HAVE to have either a high level shaman/healer to rank "normally", or (preferably) a non-pinnacle tank class that can take the blows and use potions. This makes ranking a mage REALLY annoying at the final levels because there just arent that many folks around that fit the exact bill needed to help you get there.

I'm guessing pinnacles can't use potions because of potential abuse (running through winter with repulsions and restorations and stuff). Why not allow Coteries to use them at pinnacle though? They don't get decked, so the temptation to tank uber mobs with them would be lessened. I suppose they could still do it for their caballed friends though...

Part of the problem is probably that we all really really want to get to fifty (myself included), so ranking seems like a total drag (especially post-fourty). Doesn't seem like the game is really going any more till you get max level.

The ranking areas themselves are just IMO, its just finding the group to go there with.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Pops did you mean to say just fine?

Anyway, I would agree that there should be some more incentive for ranking.

I like the idea of Coteries being able to use potions at 50, as long as they are tanking for ranking mobs (though I expect this would be tricky to code.) I am also in favor of increasing the exp awarded (or reducing tnl), but not quite double, since that would make it a little too easy.

Another solution might be allowing mages to purchase pets that can tank. They wouldn't assist in pvp, but it might allow them to make it through a few more mobs before they had to stop and rest, allowing solo mages to be feasible.

0 0 0
Ozaru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject:

the tanking pet thing is what I used to do with mercs before they were down graded with damage, just ordered them to attack and then tried to survive the fight. By doubling the xp all the time, you will get more people playing hence more chances for mages to rank. Every mage class except for invokers has a great upside to group. Healers shamans heal
Necros do insane damage with rend life with damage equipment and soul siphon they hardly lose any mana.

coteries are not that active so I don't see the point in using them, if a legion invoker is stuck at 44 with no legions to group with what can he really do? Thats where the quest thing came in pretty handy because you could be on waiting for a group and lowering your tnl at the same time by questing.

I know this is probably frowned upon but giving good amounts of xp for cabal chars killing each other. And a way to control it would be if a cabal char dies lets say 5 times before he ranks, he gets booted to prevent any cheating.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject:

By abuse I would guess you're talking about multikilling an opposing cabal member for the exp. Since we already have multikill tracking codes in place I bet it would be pretty simple to make it so you didn't get exp with multikill on.

0 0 0
Fireballer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Ozaru wrote:
the tanking pet thing is what I used to do with mercs before they were down graded with damage, just ordered them to attack and then tried to survive the fight. By doubling the xp all the time, you will get more people playing hence more chances for mages to rank. Every mage class except for invokers has a great upside to group. Healers shamans heal
Necros do insane damage with rend life with damage equipment and soul siphon they hardly lose any mana.

coteries are not that active so I don't see the point in using them, if a legion invoker is stuck at 44 with no legions to group with what can he really do? Thats where the quest thing came in pretty handy because you could be on waiting for a group and lowering your tnl at the same time by questing.

I know this is probably frowned upon but giving good amounts of xp for cabal chars killing each other. And a way to control it would be if a cabal char dies lets say 5 times before he ranks, he gets booted to prevent any cheating.

so then there's no 1000 exp combos in cabals because they'll be in range of rank 50's at 42 and will get ganked repeatedly by people stepping on their path to force a defense, and thus getting them booted from the cabal for doing their job..

In my experience, people have organized gangbangs like this in the past on 42-46 rank cabal members as a group full of caballed and uncaballed 50's JUST to step on their path and kill them instantly when they defend because they didn't like the player. If a player could be booted for going to defend and dying WHILE other players are abusing this, you create more incentive for this behavior. 90% of players dont do this. its that 10% that'll give us the reason why we cant have nice things.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: