Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 22 hours.

Modifications to Eye Gouge? Other defenses pondered?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brains

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Modifications to Eye Gouge? Other defenses pondered?

Here's the deal - I generally dislike classes that can't hide or escape from PK fights because I'm not very aggressive and don't often initiate fights with others. However, that sort of leads to being hidden, elsewhere, or choosing to risk a senseless death because Protective Shield fell before you finished up your last sentence and some zerk happened to be waiting right there for it to happen, et al.

Now, I'm getting hooked on AR again (THANKS A !@#$ing LOT) and am kicking around a few ideas - shockingly, a bard would actually be keen for one of my favorites. The problem is, I have a horrible aversion to warriors (monks, berserkers, etc.) because they are often just sittings ducks unless one wants to train, train, train and constantly run for detects and other things.
Bards may be different in the sense that blindness can be used as one hell of a defensive skill/spell. As long as the aggressor is in PK range, one can protect not only one's self, but also whomever they may have been talking to to a fairly large degree.

Of course, Dav just loves Eye Gouge, and what he loves, can be prone to change. Okay, so it's somewhat cheesy and overpowered as hell against some/most classes, especially since it seems to be oft abused as of late. That said, I'm wondering if there are changes in works to remove it, and if so, what sort of trade-off will be made in exchange for its loss? I'd hate to pour a lot of effort into a character that, as a more-or-less pacifist will most likely be screaming "PK-bait" and have a key 'defense' removed, thus making me wonder why I even bothered to attempt to play a character with less than 100% skills, etc.

In short, changes for bards? Which changes? How soon?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject:

You realise bards dont have detects, right? Might as well make a ranger if you want something with no detects and hide. They are a durable class AND viable for pk if you choose to go that route. herb+call lightning kills warlords.

No bard changes planned for a while.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject:

hmm, speaking of call lightning, how reliable is it? Besides swarm which only occurs after 36 hours..(or is it 24? been 2 years since I played ranger past 40)

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject:

As long as you remember to cast it outside in bad weather (control weather worse as applicable), it is as reliable as any magic spell. It's actually pretty damn good as long as you remember not to tickle Dagnir with it.

Dav:
I've played rangers. They are a solid class. I still have issues with druids having keen sight, as an aside.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Just so long as you remember to only cast control weather once every tick, call lightning can work well. Nothing like using it to finish off a trash lighning bolt spamming dark knight at 17.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Baer, Druids are Clerics of Nature... they should know whats going on in the Forest, no? If they can't see it, they should at least sense hidden/camo in forests

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject:

Clifton wrote:
Baer, Druids are Clerics of Nature... they should know whats going on in the Forest, no? If they can't see it, they should at least sense hidden/camo in forests

You can work the logic issue either way. I won't rehash my views, but honestly, logic plays very little part in the grand scheme of AR. The reason I don't like druids having keen sight is because I think it's a balance issue - druids are a very strong class, have a special hiding skill, and negate the strongest hiding skill in the game.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: