Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 15 hours.

saves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatnow

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: saves

how much saves is good is good enough to be safe?...
for example when fighting a shaman, how much should saves vs. maledictives is enough: -10? -20? -30? etc. etc.

0 0 0
saracelrin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:

As much as you can get.
Go for save vs. spell, it covers all three categories.
If your looking for a specific type of save try mahn-tor,there are lots of things that give a specific save value but there are other places probably easier than fighting your way through minotaurs.

0 0 0
Quiet Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Mahn-Tor is fine, unless you care to get tantalum or double plate. The Mithril Armor gives minor spell protection, as does the gold dragonscale. If your going for specific types, rank to thirty or thirty five, and so long as you don't walk in naked, and don't act stupid, you'll come out with whatever saves you need! Mahn-Tor is the best place for some quick saves material, and the figthing is not all that bad.

- Edit : -

I also find that suaully -60 or higher is usually enough, but I am normally over-reponsive to mages, so if I am fighting them, i go full set of saves V. their type of magic. The minor globe is another good piece of equipment for saves. But definitely go for save V. spell as often as you can. Normal save v. spell is better than 2/3 three hit/dam roll. Theres my speech.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject:

at rank 40 or so, i dueled a druid with 99 save vs affliction (meaning about 20 save vs spell and around 80 save vs aff). every situation is different. some situations require full saves, some situations require half saves half damage, some require no saves at all. for example, if i noticed that this druid's fighting pattern only included healing himself. not saying its probable, but it can happen. just gotta be smart about it.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Also don't limit yourself to just one kind of saves when fighting certain classes. For example, you can load up on save vs. mal for a shaman, but if you have no save vs. mental they will just dispel/harm you into oblivion.
I usually aim to have at least -30 in a certain category if Im fighting a class that uses that type of spell quite a bit. But as the others said, it's all dependent on situation--if I'm a dwarf fighting someone four ranks below, they will have trouble hitting spells even with no saves eq on.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject:

naw why bother to get full suit? Get -35 -35 in save vs mal and mental for shaman/necros, and -35 -35 save vs aff and mental vs invokers and etc. Some classes get the best of all worlds, and have afflictive, maledictive, and mental spells which excludes dispel magic. -35'll give them a tough time spelling you up, and most of the time they'll just give up and use mass physical damage, which a dk will do anyways. A fell dk couldn't spell my invoker with 5 ranks on me, so cough. just charmy, bah fuc.

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject:

The thing about saves is that no matter how much you have, spells are still going to land on you sometimes. You really just have to experiment with different balances of eq and decide which works best. It's impossible to give an exact figure because it depends on which class/race you're fighting, what class/race you are, what rank, your luck stat, etc.
In general, I like mental saves the best, since I play mages and I don't like dispel magic to land on me. Afflictive saves are not usually too useful, I find I'd rather take all +dam eq and just beat the snot out of some mage using afflictive spells on me. Mal saves I grab for fighting shaman sometimes, but I still prefer mostly Mental.
Just remember, if one eq set isn't working well, flee the battle, hide somewhere and figure out how to make your eq better. I use macros to quickly switch during battle sometimes; it's fun to wear someone down while you're in all saves gear then swap up for all +hit/dam for a quick finish. This works especially well for paladins by the way.

0 0 0
ssgtortho

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject:

OR, you can just be an Invoker and get Mana Shield. It protects against just about ALL magical based attacks, and that, if I remember correctly, also includes magical based weapon attacks.

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject:

yes, except racial vulns and, mana shield doesn't protect against all. ALL, but one.. dispel magic.

0 0 0
Allie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject:

There IS a cap to saves, but you would have to torture the imps to learn it. At one point in my mud career, I had a whopping -80 sv vs spell, and I still died to a dispel/gang lag. Im going to go out on a limb and say the magic number is somewhere between -40 and -50.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject:

i believe its much like magic find on d2, after a certain number the increase you get from it really isnt worth it... i agreee with allie on the numbers though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Allie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject:

D2 is completely different you can never have enough magic find... ever....ever.....ever..

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject:

after about 500 it's pretty redundant.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject:

On the subject of D2...

My L80 skellymancer wore just a hair over 100% MF gear and found about five uniques during an Act 3 NM run (looking for +skiller GCs). Obviously all crap uniques, but still...

Note to imms: No, I still will not play a necro on AR.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: