Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 7 hours.

Necromancers and their sleep spell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clifton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Necromancers and their sleep spell.

So I've gotten this necro to pinnacle. And now I can't fucking land sleep, on anyone that's 50. Ever. I've tried with people who have -5 svs, and -0 sv mental. No luck, but blackjack lands like crazy. Can someone explain the discrepancy, cuz it's pissing the hell outta me

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject:

Are you saying that sleep is better on people at 30 than it is at 50? Or that you are wondering why blackjack is a lot more reliable.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject:

At 30/35, blackjack seems to work as well as it does at 50. For sleep, at 30/35 it seems to land a lot more than at 50. I'm wondering if it's cuz I suck, or if there's something else to it.

0 0 0
sweet_canadian_mullet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject:

Shocked Hahahah thats kew. Jeig doesnt have a whole lot of probs...takes 1-3 times usualy. Rank 40...NEver had a sleeper to 50 thoh. I think blackjack...A skill...such as dirt...would landmuch easier. If you havnt noticed you can bash 7/10ths of the time...dirt 9/10ths...And at fifty people are even rank with you. That hurts sleep alot...Erm...Yeah skill versus spell. I dont thinkthey are comparable.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject:

Relative level difference is all that matters in determining the diminishing effects of it. Sleep at rank 10 is as good as at rank 50. Its actually classified a malediction though, not a mental spell. Maledictions are unlikely to work to begin with, and that's before the individual spell penalty, the victims saves, and level differences gets involved. Persistance pays off.

Blackjack is easier to hit but there is also a fairly long delay between successive attempts, and a longer lag penalty for failing. Plus I think sleep is longer duration than blackjack..

0 0 0
sweet_canadian_mullet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Like 3 or 4 times the duration. blackjack lasts for a max of 3 hours...sleep for like a max of 6. Blackjack normaly lasts about 2 hours.

0 0 0
Cavan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Nah, I slept Ug when he was at his peak. It works. My Roulette Ball might have helped land it *ahem*

Tried landing a few spells but his insane svs kept anything from sticking. So I promptly hauled ass to the other end of Thera. whooohooo

0 0 0
Jerold

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Sleepy

Necros have a pretty varied arsenal but most of the one-trick-pony necros that can only pk with sleep usually get very disappointed. Most of the best items in the game tend to be held by those at their pinnacles so saves tend to be stronger. That being said, mals can land even through rediculous saves. I loaded up on save vs. mal, attacked a shaman and he blinded me his very first time. Go figure. I play a magic resistant guy to begin with to boot. I think Wayne Gretzky said it best when he said you cannot score on shots you never take. If the first sleep doesn't work, flee/sleep/flee/sleep/flee/sleep. I watch tons of necros do this. I personally feel that if you subsituted acid blast for sleep, not too many guys are going to eat a half dozen of those.

Also, as far as saves go, most people on AR tailor their eq depending on who they are fighting. If someone is ready for you, he will have his save vs. mal ready. Some of the more feared necro pk'ers like Quazark, were sharp to that and pk'd the moment they entered thera, catching some off guard without the save eq on. I would rather have only 2 golems and an opponent with no saves then all charmied up and everybody ready for you.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject:

At level 50, sleep should be a spell you only use for certain classes (two on my list)

On fighters always open with a damage spell (so they dont get a free whack at your head)

0 0 0
Asyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
On fighters always open with a damage spell (so they dont get a free whack at your head)

That should be a quote for the ages...that's funny

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject:

Lol, pretty damn good point. Some necro.. telasha? keep trying to sleep/blah me, 3 hits first round. Didn't even have to do much to get him fleeing his ass away.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Asyn wrote:

Resatimm wrote:

That should be a quote for the ages...that's funny

The converse as true as well - if you fight a mage, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to open with something other than a damage spell, you might as well just flee and let him keep doing it, because the free rounds rock. Shamans and healers are often just as guilty of this (dispel/maladiction spamming loonies) as necromancers are.

0 0 0
bigchiefally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject:

That could explain some things. I got slaughtered by a warrior I was playing against the other day with a Dark Knight. Tried to blind him a couple of times and he seemed to get a couple of REAL nice rounds in. Odd thing was we had fought to a standstill a couple of hours earlier. I had thought he was hasted but maybe I was just initiating differently.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Heh... now I know who you are. Yeah you caught me training.. I had haste for trainin weapons. Thats why I didnt intiate.. I just let you do the work for me. You kept trying to blind me, should have been landing dirt my maledictive saves were through the roof. Laughing

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Bullshit spell.

Thief blackjack = you get robbed, maybe
Ninja strangle = won't land, but if it does, maybe you'll be blinded, and then attacked while you laugh at him and force him to run away
Necro sleep = cripples you with all kinds of spells, blinds, starts acid blasting/whatever along with his army. you=dead

Necros need this spell why?

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't quite agree with you slade.

Thief blackjack=you lose bunch of uniques and rares
Ninja strange=you get assassinated(or at least it used to be like that before), now you just get blinded, poisoned and tripped to death when you wake up
Necro sleep=if it lands yes you are pretty fucked unless you have great saves, but I have ran away from necro after being put to sleep alot of times, maybe even more than I have died to it. But if it doesen't land a necro will get bunch of hits in the face, which isn't nice for a class with weakest defenses in the game.

0 0 0
Green Elephant

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject:

First of all, sleep DOES land at fifty. Oh yeah, and it's maledictive. Learned that the hard way. Basically, if your saves vs. mal are bad to begin with, you're gonna get spelled up and wasted. If the necro lands a "lucky sleep" and you've got good saves vs. Mal and Mental. It's really not too bad, just flee as soon as you wake, Don't stick around Ghoul Touched or you're gonna lag yourself to death. And hey, if you see about fifty "you feel a brief tingling sensation"s. You can bet he's wasting mana, which is a good thing.

If a necro is spamming sleep at you, just spam flee at him. Chances are you'll outdamage him without him landing the spell, even if you're a mage class.

0 0 0
Hrash

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject:

Sleep is mental. I'm 99% sure it's mental. Also, if you play a mage class, do NOT open with mal/mental spells on hasted people. If they don't work, that's a round of pure physical pain heading towards you. My advice for people is not to work on one class..like where to find the best zombies, how to kill people with that one class, etc. It's the knowledge of gameplay that can really help you/screw you over. Get the basics down first...and I know that maybe 7 people that play know the true basics.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I know that maybe 7 people that play know the true basics.

Most novice people listen to reputable-seeming guys who don't actually have any idea what they're talking about, and get an earful of bad advice. Later they learn a lot about the game by themselves, but those errors they were taught get stuck in the community and passed around so much the original source is forgotten. I'm not going to point any fingers at specific people though, because those who listen are as bad as those who give it, and that's something we might all be guilty of. Though I don't know why you'd listen to anyone on such a sensitive issue, I mean, fair enough not knowing what stats in defences do might not help much. But wearing the wrong save against a spell like sleep? Ouch. Kind of like being a mage and using whips on warriors. Its nice to have a bogus myth here and there to keep you all on your toes, but since sleep is frankly so harsh, I don't mind revealing that it is maladictive at the present time. I imagine its like that because mal saves are naturally the first thing most guys go for, and so you can try to avoid the entire sleep/blind/curse/plague etc bundle.

'Course, necros can just acid blast away if you got no save aff, or dispel magic if you got no dispel mental, or overwhelm you with their pets, acid, and vampiric touch if you've tried to wear copious saves, so in the bigger picture, it doesn't really matter if you don't defend well against sleep. That's the basics. It is uphill all the way fighting them.

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Note to self: gold rings are freakin awesome.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: