Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 7 hours.

Quests
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Ashtes -

There's no prerequisite time period for playing AR in which you learn every single quest. It's not as if you play a character to 300 hours and the Immortals transfer you and say "Oh, THANK YOU SO MUCH for playing AR!! Here's a cheat sheet to all of the quests!! Don't tell anyone, okay?"

The reason that people have so many quests on their low-rank characters is that they remember where they are from previous characters. However, as has been stated time and time again, the quests don't have THAT large of a bearing on practicing skills, so you're not "at an unfair disadvantage" like you think. It'll take you near the same amount of time mastering defenses and other skills whether you have 10 quests or 100... they toned down the quests' impact on learning a long time ago.

As for descriptions, you'll find that once you've ranked a character to 50, there's a lot more roleplay in the game. People will definitely look at your description a lot more often than you think... it's more than just the "hack and slash" gameplay that you're experiencing right now. You can get "hack and slash" from any game out there, mud or not; AR strives to bring RP and PKing together into one environment that (hopefully) doesn't get old for the players.

I'm pretty sure that if you play the game a bit more and flesh out your roleplaying, you'll find out that I'm not just trying to blow smoke up your ass, and that it really is true.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hrm

Ashtes Mindstorm wrote:
Oooh Big difference a description makes when it comes to hack and slash... Sure people look at you to see how your health looks before they slaughter you, but I have a feeling they dont stop to admire your hard thought up description.

I know plenty of people who read descriptions to start a rp session. Some players like to throw in small unique physical traits in their descriptions that other players can pick up on as a conversation starter. At the very least writing a description is a form of character customizing.

Ashtes Mindstorm wrote:

Not to mention care at all how many quests you have done, since it seems that quests still lack in effect if you havent ever found how to complete a quest without "OOPS i found one..." I have no clue how to actually find a quest, but I've only complete 8 sofar. and this isn't cause I'm Stupid, I didn't even know I was completing a quest, its cause you just hack slash and explore and it happens to be a quest...

The current quest system is due for an overhaul but at the moment if you explore enough you will find a large percentage of the quests. Try looking at noteable objects mentioned in a room description or giving objects to mobs when they ask for them.

Ashtes Mindstorm wrote:

supposedly AR is all about fair gameplay.. when people who have all these quest, us "noobs" are at an unfair disadvantage because people can have 1 level 50 char, and have a new level 10 char, and put the level 10 char through all these quests... how fair can that be. sure they did all the hard work of exploring an what not, but if we new what was around everycorner.... I'm sure we'd have every quest listed in a few heart beats.

As Davairus explains at the start of this thread ,having around 100 quests is roughly the same as having a single extra point of int. Most people do most of their training at the low ranks where movement is an issue. Completing all those quests at a low rank can easily take over two or three hours with the frequent rests needed to regain movement.

Personally I rarely train for longer than two or three hours. In that time I can master my defenses and get key skills/spells into the high 80's where they can master themselves while I rank to 50.

I look at those quests as an encouragement to explore more not something that is essential to have. In fact, the previous quest system which granted insane fast training to veteran players who were familiar with all quests was changed because as you correctly noted, this was be unfair to new players.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Learning rate boosts won't be in the new quest system as that provides an unfair advantage for "vets" who already know how to complete all the quests on repeat characters. New quest system is also a departure from the "difficult to find, easy to complete" model.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: