Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 11 hours.

Plague, poison, steal, and pry.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject:

Not true. It is all to easy to avoid being blackjacked. And since I've spouted off on it all kindsa times in other threads. I'm not even gonna start here.

C'mon people...it's so damn easy.... X-P

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject:

Uh. Never be in the same room as another thief?

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject:

No damnit...try to stay out of their territory when they are in your pk range. Take them out of their element and they lose their advantage. Make them come to you.

When you take a thief out of his element(TOWN), it makes him vulnerable and puts you on more even terms. You're still in the mentality that YOU own the cities not the THIEF... You are WRONG. Dark alleyways and densly populated urban areas are to be avoided in LIFE and in MUD when one has valuables. Think about it, would you go strolling through compton with a brand new shiny ass rolex? FUCK NO! You'd make the little hood rat try and jack you in YOUR hood that way YOU had the advantage. You would NEVER try to take it to his ass on his turf. You would get your ass handed to you.

<--Blackjacks himself to make the hurting stop. X-P

[edit]
You know the only REAL way to keep from getting blackjacked??

VOTE!!
[/edit]

0 0 0
Addreodyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject:

Staying out of town doesn't protect you from blackjack. A thief blackjacks just a well outside of town. If they're good, you still won't see it coming. Even if you sneak up on them it's usually:
You attack thief! Thief has fled! Thief walks in. A sudden pain erupts in your skull.
However, staying out of town is a good way to prevent this 'rambo thief' because the thief has to run a lot farther if he's in trouble and needs to hide (thus, more opportunities to be caught).
Quite frankly, I'd rather fight the 'rambo thieves' because even if I lose items, at least I'm involved in it. Blackjack isn't fun because it stops you from playing the game for a few minutes, and you probably lose some eq in the process.

0 0 0
Oldtimer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: This is bad.. Very very bad...

These changes are both good and bad. Plague and poison are finally doing what they are meant to do. I totally agree with that change. Not being able to pry off of someone who was standing right there is fine, most of the time in real life you don't hear of that unless intimidated in some way, which I think would be a good skill for a thief to have... Kind of like dark knights extortion (I believe is the skill's name)... However not being able to steal from someone when they are awake is not even close to how it should be designed. Stealing/pickpocketing is something done in everyday life while awake or asleep, this action should continue to happen in that manor and it angers me that it has changed with pry. It shouldn't have even been considered as a change and is a huge step in the wrong direction while roll playing or even doing anything with a thief.

0 0 0
Talisman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject:

I understand the problem with steal and I think the changes will solve it.
That being said, I've always enjoyed stealing from people without them realizing they've been robbed. Instead of whining, I'd like to propose a second solution to the problem with steal.
Why not make it so that if you fail to steal from someone, they will be alert and suspicious of you for x ticks? If you try to steal from them while they are awake before the x ticks are up, you will get a message like "they are too suspicious of you right now". Alternatively, you could just make the thief fail the steal without an informative message, forcing him to estimate when he can try again. Of course, being suspicious won't save someone if they are asleep. This should stop people from continually stealing until they succeed while still allowing thieves to have a pleasent conversation with the previous owner of their newest aquisition.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject:

Ok after playing with it heres the Stumps opoinioon btw of course Im baked

only being able to steal while hidden is fine , not that big of a deal
prying while someone is awake Ummm ok dont laugh but untill it came up I didnt even know about it ,never tried it. think i heard something about it along time ago. So to me these changes dont affect how Viggs plays anyway ,I almost always lump then steal and or pry then I die ,so nothing changes for me ,

best news out of all of this is Thiefs are getting something,,You know we get two skills at 30 one at 35 one at 40 ,one at 45 or something like that ,Hell we dont even get a level 50 skill
Only in the best hands can a thief PK at level 50 anyway i thinks
Not to steal an idea from F'ing Lands but disquise there for thieves is kinda neat sneak into others guilds

Ok ,time to get killed

and oh yea hey ,,where we do our avatars now?

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:

An idea for pry: Allow pry to be used on standing opponents, but if they're awake, cause a pry to cause the victim to attack whether or not the pry is successful.

After all, it's plenty easy for a thief to steal the hat off your head, pry a dagger out of your hands, or in a more real-to-life example, grab a purse out of your hands. But no matter what, you're definatly going to notice it.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject:

These are all actually really good suggestions and I'd like to see if perhaps a balance could be reached between our current state of steal/pry and all these proposed edits.

On the other hand, with the changes to thieves coming pretty soon, I think everyone's probably gonna forget about the old steal/pry changes and start having fun with the new skills cuz it from what it looks like, thieves are gonna be turning into a slightly more viable combat class while keeping all their base jacking skills intact.

Anyway, that's my $2.50 cents, anyone got change?

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Except for them sitting there, completely exposed, waiting to get bashed, tripped or faerie fired, which between those three is something 90% of all the classes on AR are capable of. So no, the thief can't just pry, flee and hide over and over again if they're fighting a semi-competent opponent.

It sounds like you haven't had as much success playing a fighting thief as others here have. Thieves have an innate bonus to help them avoid bash and thief (ever wonder why halfling thieves are such a pain in the ass to lag?) simply by virtue of choosing thief as their class, and every competent thief loads up on mals against faerie fire (which screws the caster each time it fails, since he gets nothing in return for being whacked at, dirted, etc--a thief can straight-up outfight anyone who can faerie fire, spells/charmies notwithstanding). The code is biased in helping thieves be good at skirmishing-style combat. Being able to strip their opponent of eq while doing this is excessive.

Quote:
An idea for pry: Allow pry to be used on standing opponents, but if they're awake, cause a pry to cause the victim to attack whether or not the pry is successful.

Doesn't change the problem of people using pry as a way of initiating combat. Again, many thieves don't mind open fighting--being able to attempt strip an opponent of eq at the start of every battle sequence is a pure bonus.

Quote:
Spells have save vs spell, you can move on water to prevent dirtkick, you can wear cursed weapons for disarm, you can fly for trip, bash has protective shield... but there's no way to help prevent a blackjack.

I think we've seen with ninjas what happens when a class becomes a one-skill-wonder. Don't do it to thieves.

Very little has changed from before on that perspective. Blackjack has a two-tick duration, and poison never prevented you from being blackjacked--it only cut the duration down to one tick (i.e. you wake up next tick instead of tick after that). Halving the duration of a blackjack was never much of a defense to begin with.

What you're forgetting is that in an open area, thieves that are reliant on a blackjack are in serious trouble when they fail one (and blackjack fails more often than it succeeds) for the next 4 ticks before they can attempt another one. This is why we've tied steal and pry to blackjack, to limit the steal/pry harassment thieves can do when they're out in the open.

Quote:
On the other hand, with the changes to thieves coming pretty soon, I think everyone's probably gonna forget about the old steal/pry changes and start having fun with the new skills cuz it from what it looks like, thieves are gonna be turning into a slightly more viable combat class while keeping all their base jacking skills intact.

When I first mentioned in a different thread that I was working on warrior and thief specializations, only the warrior angle drew any responses. I'm glad to see that there is some interest in thieves as well, judging from the responses in this thread. I think these changes will make more sense when you see the different specialization routes for thieves.

Quote:
Then why would you make these changes to theives before these specializations were added?

I just wanted to add something to my previous response to this: waiting until everything was done had been, in fact, the modus operandi for the past two years. Finally my lieutenants had the good sense to convince me to start releasing some of the changes so that players can start to benefit from some of them immediately and so that we can start permanently addressing some of the gameplay issues on the mud. As a result, we have two year's worth of work and research (alas, more research than work) in varying stages of completion to prepare for implementation. So this has been the best working compromise for me: releasing the changes in small, organized batches (to minimize temporary balance issues, but some of them will be unavoidable) at a more timely pace. I would like nothing better than to put everything in all at once, but other voices (and my own experiences) have shown that this is unreasonable. I don't want to keep you guys waiting for two more years.

0 0 0
GodOfWar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Burzuk wrote:

When I first mentioned in a different thread that I was working on warrior and thief specializations, only the warrior angle drew any responses. I'm glad to see that there is some interest in thieves as well, judging from the responses in this thread. I think these changes will make more sense when you see the different specialization routes for thieves.

Any idea when these proposed changes are going to go into effect? I need to know when to start training my thiefie. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: