Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 3 hours.

Entrapment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the justice be able to flag you when they're invisible?
It's awful! It's like the Gestapo!
55%
 55%  [ 20 ]
It's cool! It's like the Gestapo!
44%
 44%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 36

Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Number 1:
Quote:
JUSTICES do not have to stay visible in town if they are endangered in it. (I.E. they can go invisible or hide if it is to defend themself from pk.

Number 2:
Quote:
The laws are enforced in the three recall point towns

Darkhaven isn't enforced anymore, if I recall. It's now the place for Outcasts and whatnot to practice their skills, etc.

That FAQ is apparently old and outdated. I'd ask the Justices in question if it's legit or not, and if they don't know then ask a Guide. If there aren't any around, send a note to Immortal or pray. Somebody's gotta have the 'real' answer.

0 0 0
Kablamo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Gestapo? The Nazi secrect police that killed jews? wtf

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Don't tell me you actually expected fellow AR players to consider the emotional effect of their metaphors on others.

Well, I guess since it wasn't a poll started by divsky you might've thought that. Sadly, however, it isn't always the case. Hardly ever the case, actually.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject:

I highly dislike the change, as someone who plays mostly warrior-type classes. This just means anytime you want to chase someone you are fighting into town, visible or not, you have to use a detect item to see if a Justice is around.
Not to mention its yet another disadvantage for those poor Warlord wannabes, who know not only have to chase someone into town that may go invisible at any time, but have to worry there may be a Justice sitting there invisible as well.
The main reason I am against it is because of my conception of Justice as a group that would seek to prevent crime, rather than allow it, then punish the offenders. Allowing Justices to go invisible places more of an emphasis on punishment rather than prevention, while having Justices always be visible means they would exist at all times as a deterrent, which in my mind is what a Justice should be--someone who would more than anything else wish to see the laws respected.

0 0 0
Mr Carbohydrate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject:

A very good point (about being a vissible deterent). And as for me mentioning the gestapo, sorry if I've offended anyone...I'll try to be more PC in future. Seems the invisible flagging thing is pretty unpopular though...perhaps it could be changed back?

0 0 0
aicrules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Rezakhan wrote:
I highly dislike the change, as someone who plays mostly warrior-type classes. This just means anytime you want to chase someone you are fighting into town, visible or not, you have to use a detect item to see if a Justice is around.

So, follow your ethos. The law isn't "Don't initiate an attack someone in town if a justice is around" it is "Don't intiate an attack on someone in town." <-- PERIOD.

This is exactly like the debate over cops setting speed traps, as if speeding is okay if there are no cops around. You're breaking the law by killing in town whether or not a Justice is around to see it.

If your ethos is lawful, OBEY THE FRIGGIN LAW! Accept the responsibility for your actions whatever the outcome. At least it's not a bunch of IMMs that are impenentrably hidden that just slay you when you break the law.

Last edited by aicrules on Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Mr Carbohydrate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject:

This is not like the debate about speed traps, for the simple reason that this is a game. There seems to be some general confusion over the difference between laws and rules in AR. The laws are only present to make the game more fun, and have no value outside of that function. I think it was more fun before the new changes, when it was (SHOCK HORROR!) easier to break laws and get away with it. Sorry to repeat myself, but some people seem to missunderstand the argument.

0 0 0
Enskel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:

aicrules wrote:
If your ethos is lawful, OPEN THE FRIGGIN LAW! Accept the responsibility for your actions whatever the outcome. At least it's not a bunch of IMMs that are impenentrably hidden that just slay you when you break the law.

There are two things you don't understand. First, nobody's objecting to the effect this change has on characters with lawful ethos. Lawful chars are almost exclusively justice wannabees.

Second, if you are part of that small minority whose ethos is lawful, then you may actually get slain for breaking the law if the imm considers it a roleplay breach. So yes, for the narrow context you've put it in, it IS a bunch of imms waiting to slay you and always has been.

0 0 0
aicrules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Mr Carbohydrate wrote:
This is not like the debate about speed traps, for the simple reason that this is a game. There seems to be some general confusion over the difference between laws and rules in AR. The laws are only present to make the game more fun, and have no value outside of that function. I think it was more fun before the new changes, when it was (SHOCK HORROR!) easier to break laws and get away with it. Sorry to repeat myself, but some people seem to missunderstand the argument.

Just like detect invis potions/spells in AR, you can buy a radar detector to help you avoid speed traps.

The reason they have speed traps to catch rather than just using the visible presence of a police cruiser to deter is because people think they can break the law as long as they aren't caught. The laws aren't there just for someone to be able to punish you, they're there for the well being of all. In this respect, it is the same as in the game.

If this wasn't an RP-centric game, then I wouldn't say this was a valid comparison. But since it is, and like in real life you have to find the best way to ensure that people will follow the laws of the land whether you're there or not, there is no reason not to allow them to be invisible.

Why on earth would they want to make it easier for you to break the law? Just the fact that AR allows the law to be broken is flexibility enough in my eyes. And in almost all instances, enforcement of the law is done by mortals, so you have as much of a fighting chance as you do with real life laws.

Imagine if there was a PSI Justice snooping in on you from outside of town!

0 0 0
aicrules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Enskel wrote:

There are two things you don't understand. First, nobody's objecting to the effect this change has on characters with lawful ethos. Lawful chars are almost exclusively justice wannabees.

And for those with an chaotic ethos, trying to kill someone in a lawful area you should expect the guardians of that area to do whatever is in their power to stop you.

If you're flagged as WANTED, then you have to go low profile. Such is the life of a criminal.

And in regards to IMMs slaying those who don't follow a lawful ethos, that is unfortunate, but that's why you choose your ethos carefully.

0 0 0
Mr Carbohydrate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote : "and like in real life you have to find the best way to ensure that people will follow the laws of the land whether you're there or not, there is no reason not to allow them to be invisible. "

The imms do no not WANT our chacters to follow the laws all the time (Aside from lawful chacters, of course) . The laws are a gameplay mechanic, following them is not in everyone's best interests, they are there to be broken where appropriate. How difficult it is to get away with breaking them is also merely a gameplay mechanic, and how difficult it SHOULD be to get away with breaking them is a matter of opinion. If the imms didn't want's us to break the law they would just make all the hometowns no attack areas.
It is just another struggle in the game: Just as knights battle legion, justice battles criminals, and there are simmilar balance issues.

0 0 0
Altheripper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The imms do no not WANT our chacters to follow the laws all the time (Aside from lawful chacters, of course) . The laws are a gameplay mechanic, following them is not in everyone's best interests, they are there to be broken where appropriate. How difficult it is to get away with breaking them is also merely a gameplay mechanic, and how difficult it SHOULD be to get away with breaking them is a matter of opinion. If the imms didn't want's us to break the law they would just make all the hometowns no attack areas.
It is just another struggle in the game: Just as knights battle legion, justice battles criminals, and there are simmilar balance issues.

Well said. The game has to have realistic mechanics in order to be, uhhh, realistic.[/code]

0 0 0
Gygh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject:

b00mslang wrote:
Actually what happened was a certain Justice flagged me after knowing nothing but that my merc was in the ranger guild, attacked me, and I fled into the ranger guild guardian, which then proved my guilt, but then, he didn't do it in a lawful way.

Hahah, that was funny, I told him you were attacking the guardian. He came to town, and I showed him your mercanary in the ranger guild. Looking at the guild guardian showed that he was attacked too, not nessisarily by you. Also the fact that it started attacking you (after you were flagged) also kinda gave it away. So that Justice went on a hunch and got lucky.

0 0 0
Brains

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject:

The problem is with handing out the flag BEFORE any proof was found.

The flag is, in practical terms, AR's equivalent of execution, prison time, fines, etc., all rolled into one ball of wax. How the players react to something like this is similar to how real-life citizens take similar news: we know it happens on rare occasion, but we don't like it and would rather it never happened in the first place.

0 0 0
Altheripper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject:

It would also kinda depend on your rep with the justice. If you been busted by him multiple times before hes probably gonna flag you if he sees something suspicious before asking any questions.

0 0 0
Hoarding Healer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Although I hate that they can invis and flag, I guess you can think of it as cops and ghostcars. But the fact that they are pussies and always invised is just being total pussies, especially when they are the uber cabal too. Its like how much leverage do they need?

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject:

Don't be an idiot its your fault for not keeping detects up. If there is a chance you might be attacked keep detects up, if you're pking keep detects up they can just quaff an anti cyclopse elixir and be gone. You wanna know real entrapment? Ensnare just get them past one of the gates, close the door, ensnare and bam keep the door closed and they're gone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Green Elephant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The main reason I am against it is because of my conception of Justice as a group that would seek to prevent crime, rather than allow it, then punish the offenders. Allowing Justices to go invisible places more of an emphasis on punishment rather than prevention

I agree totally, this was always my problem with Deiminos. Though I had a heck of a lot of fun in the war, the idea that a JUSTICE would WANT a crime to be committed never sat well with me. Apparantly, the immortals dissagree with this assessment. That being said, its very easy to keep your detects up, and really, if you're sitting in town, you should be doing so anyway, for your own protection. Invisible JUSTICE's don't really affect game balance all that much.

On a slightly off topic note:
Quote:
The reason they have speed traps to catch rather than just using the visible presence of a police cruiser to deter is because people think they can break the law as long as they aren't caught.

You're kidding right? The reason for most speed traps, (which usually occur near the exact point on the road that the speed limit changes) is to gather money for the state, city etc. Its a lucrative BUSINESS opportunity. There are cities in the United States that make a good portion of their income through speed trap ticketing. Granted, there are "legitimate" speed traps where police will ticket heavily in an area where excessive speeding has been a dangerous problem, but for the most part, you can look at speeding tickets, and speed traps especially, as what they are:

ROAD TAX

Everone speeds, and everone pays eventually. Its simple economics.

0 0 0
cleaning_ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:

This is all really a moot point. Even if a justice cannot flag you while he/she is invis, the justice could still just go vis to flag you. I do not have any problem with justices being able to flag you while invis, because there is always a way around a rule... Law is an inevitable part of any society, and must be Held above any other ideal, without law there is chaos. According to Locke's social contract, when you are born into a society you are expected to uphold the laws. While this is not possible for chaotic beings, justices are lawful, and must strive to make law absolute. If this requires that they rule by fear, even when they are not around then so be it. Also, chaotic beings do not care whether justices are about or not, because they do not recognize law. So whether the justice is invis or not, a chaotic being will break the law.

0 0 0
cleaning_ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Justice's rights to spells

This is all really a moot point. Even if a justice cannot flag you while he/she is invis, the justice could still just go vis to flag you. I do not have any problem with justices being able to flag you while invis, because there is always a way around a rule... Law is an inevitable part of any society, and must be Held above any other ideal, without law there is chaos. According to Locke's social contract, when you are born into a society you are expected to uphold the laws. While this is not possible for chaotic beings, justices are lawful, and must strive to make law absolute. If this requires that they rule by fear, even when they are not around then so be it. Also, chaotic beings do not care whether justices are about or not, because they do not recognize law. So whether the justice is invis or not, a chaotic being will break the law.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: