Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 5 hours.

Automatic anti-tracking skill: pass without trace
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Automatic anti-tracking skill: pass without trace

Simple idea here...

Rangers and possibly druids could have an automatic passive skill which prevents tracking within forested (and possibly other) areas. It's sort of an extension of quiet movement, but I feel druids should get it too.

Like the spell from AD&D 2nd edition, this skill would leave no sign of passage through an outdoors area (forest primarily, possibly hills and mountains as well).

In practical terms, when the ranger (or possibly druid) enters an appropriate area, their tracks stop at that point and resume when they enter an area less suited to this.

I'm not sure where this would go from a balance standpoint if we consider the game's world. Having just forest get covered would make Unsiliel Wood a far more difficult place to track a ranger if you didn't stay on them though... From there somebody could either head towards the Sanctuary (which has a place where tracks could be found) or through Dankbark Forest (leaving tracks once in the Outerlimits), or enter Gasteride (less likely).

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject:

I kind of like this for rangers only. Definitely not druids, but yes to rangers. I think balance is easy, it should just require you to put at least two practices into the pathfinding skill. We could improve a lot of our skills in the same way, just have the base skill that gets 1 pracced and then add a sweetener to entice spending another prac, or don't if you would rather have the train. It'd be cool to have a dilemma of spending pracs or saving for hp for small but minorly impactful stuff like this.

0 0 0
Vevier
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject:

The skill change sounds cool, but forcing people to two prac to get better skill bonuses does not. Id rather see that kind of bonus tied to a quest or something more meaningful than taking away the option to give up time training for more hps.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject:

I think the idea of adding possible second benefits to skills that you can take or leave in trade of two practicing is really cool. Could make for some more careful strategizing as you are building new characters, especially for more pk oriented toons.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject:

Well actually it is no different than spending a second prac for a new skill.

0 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject:

This is very cool, although I’d have the no track aspect toggle like sneak and have it cost some extra movement. The idea being that either you’re actively covering your tracks or taking a more careful/less direct path through the area.

1 0 0
Rothak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject:

With the 1 and 2 skill practice to possibly ‘learn’ a newish skill, how would that work for higher intelligence chars? Automatically obtained the possible Bo us if this becomes a thing?

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject:

It's actually a neat thought. My thinking here would be you put the extra practice in when the skill hits 100%. So if you 1/2/3 practice it to 75% shouldn't matter. You can put the extra practice in when you mastered the ability. It would put those random practices a person has left over to some use.

3 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Regarding using an extra session after obtaining pathfinding to get this:

The thought seems perfectly reasonable to me. It might require a higher level than the initial skill, and only become available once you have invested enough effort into the previous skill..

Right now, our so-called "skill tree" in AR is really not a tree, but a list of skills/spells (and in the bard's case, songs) that are available once you obtain a given rank. There are no stat requirements, though obviously for physical stuff strength and dexterity matter a lot. We're starting to see potential development of what I'd consider skill trees with the new devotion options at the priest.

There was an MMORPG I played a number of years ago which had skill trees and from what I saw, there were five tiers of skill trees (all doing different things) and you could typically focus on any of three branches while having to decide what you really wanted out of your character. Sometimes it wasn't worth investing skill points (you gained those each time you leveled up) in certain areas. Sometimes you had to invest more than one skill point into an ability before you could advance further along that branch of the tree.

It *would* change things dramatically if this kind of thing happened at a larger scale, but my point is, Dav's idea sounds reasonable enough from the standpoint of metagaming and looking elsewhere for comparisons.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I like it.

0 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject:

I like this idea a lot. The concept is cool and it really fits thematically. Also like Lionspyre's and Kedaleam's suggestions. Another thought is just to have it available for toggling on/off once it hits 100%. It's like detect magic becoming a part of detect invis once it's mastered.

0 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject:

If its just going to be for rangers, could just bake it into pathfinding.

0 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:44 am    Post subject:

Idk if ranger actually needs this though. Just played one (hardulf) and they felt really strong.

1 0 0
twerpalina

BANNED

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject:

I'd rather not see something like this unless it's an active skill that slows your movespeed or consumes extra moves as you are actively trying to cover your tracks you should not be blazing full speed and passively removing tracks.

If anything, give rangers an improved track instead.

Can you track flying characters btw? If you can, then that should be removed imo and maybe the improved ranger track is the track that can track flying characters in forest based on broken twigs etc.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

You cannot track flying.

0 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject:

You can track flying and I don't really understand why. It makes sense for balance but that's all.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject:

If you can actually track flying, it's a bug. I submitted a bug at the beginning of tracking and it was fixed. I can tell when I'm tracking someone and they switch to flight, because they don't give me anything when I type track.

0 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Okay it might be fixed. I just remember being able to be tracked when I was flying. This was probably a few months ago.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject:

One thing to remember, is there are still several people really good at anticipating where you might have gone, so it only seems that way.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Pretty sure you can still track people who are flying...and you can not track somebody if you are flying

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: