Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 12 hours.

Justice Update?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Justice Update?

Okay friends,

As always, feel free to shoot this idea down. But it was inspired by three things. First, a comment Ozaru made on a Justice's log a while back. Second, by the fact that I've never rolled a Justice due to purely mechanical reasons. And third, the fact that every cabal except Justice has been (or we assume is getting) updated to bring them up to speed with the times.

The heart of the issue that I think exists with Justice is this: they serve a very good purpose in the game, but man are they boring to play as. Again, I've never played as one, but I'm speaking from the outside looking in. The vast majority of the time, it seems like Justice just sits in town 'on watch'... I imagine that this is actually quite fun if there are lots of 50s logged on and the potential for multiple lines of combat in town is really high. But that's a very rare occurrence. Instead, this 'watch' often ends up looking like camping in town as maybe one other person in your PK range roams freely around the world going about their business. Again, I'm inviting former Justices here to pitch in and let me know if I'm wrong. But I can say after playing a Knight for almost a year, with a good 1/4 of that time being an Outlaw... I'm pretty sure I was having way more fun than y'all were.

Getting straight to the issue at hand, Justice provide a key service for the game, and that's protecting anyone, no matter their ethos, from unwanted aggression. Sure, that also means aggressors can use Justice to their advantage when they're getting spanked, but I think that's a pill we're all happy to swallow for the service Justice provides. The issue, I think, is that Justice end up playing the role of 'party pooper'. They can't really get into the fight themselves unless you're willing to take a flag, at which point the odds tip drastically in their favor. You've got to be really confident or really bored to take a flag willingly, because there are just so many downsides to it.

I think, to Oz's suggestion at one point, you can make Justice a bit more interesting with some slight tweaks. The goal here is to get Justicee involved in the fight more easily by incentivizing people to take the flag. I can see a couple of ways of doing this:

1) Make the guards fighting you in town only trigger when a Justice is currently logged in - as Aerysen, the most frustrating thing about having a flag was getting slowed down by the guards in town. Then Aerysen's numerous other enemies would just run through town to get distance from him. It was repetitive, annoying, and drew out fights way longer than they needed to be. At least for me, this was the biggest drawback about taking the flag. It made me objectively worse at fighting every other person in the game. And often times, this was the sole driving factor stopping me from taking a flag. If you bar this from happening except for when a Justice is logged in, I think you'll find a lot more people readily taking flags. Sure, when the Justice is logged in, the criminal's main concern is the Justice (as it should be). But at least their PK experience outside of that isn't being completely crippled. It's even easy enough to RP too. The guards are simply too scared to take on a criminal of that caliber when their boss isn't around.

2) To Oz's suggestion, you just make Justice weaker. This can be done from a variety of angles. While it hurts the service they provide to the game, it's a pretty direct way of incentivizing people to take the flag. Using a carrot and stick analogy, this is just a way of shortening the stick.

3) Give players special access to something previously inaccessible by becoming an Outlaw. Maybe they get access to special gambles or consumables in Darkhaven. Maybe they have to do a quest first to unlock it, but the idea is the same. Again with the carrot and the stick, this makes the carrot bigger.

4) Split up Justice powers in some way so that players feel like they're getting a unique experience with each Justice they fight. Maybe some have access to the special guard, while others can rally the town guard to their side more effectively. Since I've never played Justice, I don't have a good answer for this. But it is in line with updates that other cabals have gotten lately.

1 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion, the only reason most people roll justices is so they can have the advantage against the heavy hitters in pk. They prey on the weak, and just sit in town when the big guys are on waiting for them to get Flagged so they get the use of special guard and Dagnir, and hoping another justice arrives. If they don't get bored and take the flag, the justice will sit in the shaman guildhall "on watch", and do absolutely nothing while you hover around town.

Dumbest thing about being wanted is in Grand Thalos(other side of the void, 500 years away from current Serin time), those guards over there know you are wanted somehow?? And can't use shopkeeps for appraise... Brought this up on last 2 or 3 chars that got Wanted. Always gets shot down quickly.

1 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Justice is not just boring, it is long periods of boring plus occasional interrupts of fines and flags (i.e. "terror"). Those are the exciting moments that give you a useful jolt, that help you to keep on tolerating it. Its like being trapped inside a horror movie. As far as sitting in the guildhalls with a criminal on, that's an uninduction offence obviously.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject:

As somebody who has actually played Justice...

*********Edited by Dogran Don't post Cabal Secrets please**********

Justice is the only cabal I know of which can use some of its special abilities while their item is captured.

Regarding shopkeeper appraisal... Does the fence in Seringale, the merchant in the Sewers, or the goblin in Gwidry offer such services? I know the fence at least offers some of the same goods as other shopkeepers (I think to criminals as well), but those goods are also more expensive. If I'm remembering correctly, the fence and the smuggler in the Sewers both sell to criminals... If they do, appraisal should be made possible if it is not already (presumably for a suitable markup).

I get that fighting the guards is frustrating... But look at it this way: would the sheriff's posse stop trying to apprehend an outlaw or desperado who came into town shooting people just because the marshal was out of town in a Western? I dare say they'd keep fighting or even pick up a fight if the outlaw came into town. They don't need their leader (or even so much as a deputy) to know who's causing problems, and being a wanted criminal means they KNOW who you are. I don't see good logic with your RP suggestion either... Why would they throw themselves at the criminal when the marshal or sheriff is around but get cold feet otherwise? Fear alone isn't a good motivator if you ask what motivates them to even throw themselves at the criminal in the first place? One of my first characters (because I had yells turned off and somebody else attacked me but I didn't yell first so their yell was heard and I got flagged) managed to get wanted in the 30s ranks and the guards threw themselves at me but they didn't even harm me. Once a posse has been organized against a criminal, I dare say they ain't gonna back down until the criminal is dead. In short, I don't agree with the logic behind #1 (would Tir ignore a criminal who came into his headquarters? I think not, and neither would anyone else who can apprehend criminals, such as Alycla or the Thain.).

Regarding #2: give some examples.

Regarding #3: in that case, why not just have permanent outlaw status as an option? Undead used to be permanent outlaws and as such were unprotected by the law but could still be punished for breaking it.

Regarding #4: seeing as you haven't actually played a Justice, I can't ask you to provide examples, but as someone who has played Justice a number of times, I don't know any way to reasonably split the existing powers.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Couple of things to note here. I also have not only been mortal leader of justice, but have had at least a dozen justices over my career in AR.

1. There are shops that will still interact with and sell to criminals, you just have to find them.

2. The guards are a hindrance, but not dangerous. The biggest problem is it slows you down moving through protected cities allowing for capture/free murders.

3. Undead are still not protected by the law, they are just not Outlaw. The only basic difference, is Justice is not required to hunt them now, but they are still not protected.

4. I don't see a way to reasonably split powers, most of the big problem I see are activity issues. When a lot of people play, people get wanted more, when no ones playing it's not worth taking the flag most of the time.

5. With the current system in place, the penalties for a 1 star criminal are not too severe, but it can advance quickly if you don't play your cards right.

6. Xenyar wasn't saying people are hiding in cabals instead of hunting criminals, he was saying that if no criminal was around they couldn't be forced to fight, after all, if you invade and kill a justice while intruder you are now wanted.

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject:

Capturing the justice item should allow you the ability to remove flags. Kill the Justice, capture their item and boom all existing flags online are purged. The only real downside here is that then the keepers would align with the justices more often to get the item back.

0 1
boo,
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject:

Definitely should not lose wanted status just because you capture the cabal item. Especially considering how easy it is to capture. No logical basis for criminals not being criminals just because they killed the lawman. Just makes their notoriety bigger for when they do finally get taken down.

1 0 0
lionSpyre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:11 am    Post subject:

If actual Justice players are cool with the current setup, then don't mind me. I figured y'all might be looking for more of an excuse to get your hands dirty. But it looks like a few of my points were misconstrued so let me clear that up.

1. I'm emphasizing here that yes, the guards aren't dangerous. But they're annoying and enough for any enemy to get away from you in relatively short order. This, in my opinion, is the single biggest penalty to being flagged. My PK, the whole thing I liked about the game in the first place, gets severely hamstringed. So even if I wanted to RP a cool Outlaw type, putting my life and all my sweet gear on the line to stick it to the man, mechanically it's so frustrating that it's rarely worth it. Making it just a thing when Justice is around still benefits Justice without completely crippling the criminal's PK experience. Agree to disagree that the RP doesn't make sense, we've made far flimsier RPs work in this game (like Xenyar's example, why your wanted status still affects you past the Void).

2. I'm aware that certain shops will still sell to an Outlaw... I'm saying there could be a vendor that ONLY sells special equipment to Outlaws or criminals. They could sell some consumables, maybe cool gamble rings that have rotdeath but great stats. Those benefits shouldn't be so good that people just take the flag for them (I'm not suggesting a new cabal of outlaws here). But, should someone find themself flagged or outlawed, it's a nice perk.

0 0 0
Solmundi
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:06 am    Post subject:

There are a lot of things in place that take care of the things you're having issues with.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:56 am    Post subject:

Hmmm, you were actually serious about having special rewards vendors for criminals? I legitimately thought that was just a joke post. Let me just take a big ol' shit in North Square and then run on over to Darkhaven to collect my pony

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject:

I actually would like some changes to Justice. I'm not actually gonna read into anything in here though, as a lot of people have kneejerk reactions... It's been a topic before that I'd like to touch base with Dav again when I have more time.

1 0 0
Kalist19
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject:

Thought 1:

I've played AR for a long time and I've seen a lot of changes to justice and here's one thing that's really been grinding my gears for a long time. I had planned on trying to change this from within justice on the guys I played recently (Grimple, Linisan, Zstrxriq) but they didn't stick it out to leadership positions either due to conflict of interest or boredom or whatever but here was my thought:

It's dumb that justices cover Timaran and Solace in addition to Seringale. I think they should cover Seringale only. I think it's also dumb that any mob at all outside of Seringale refuses to sell to criminals and also auto attacks criminals and alerts justice of their presence. Seriously, why the fuck would Alycia in illusionary isle give two shits about some criminal from Seringale. I don't remember when or why the jurisdiction expanded to outside of Seringale but I think it's dumb.

Thought 2:

Justice is only a fun cabal when you have players with the balls to get wanted and when you have edgy justices willing to mix shit up.

I've loved Ozaru's justices. Our chars were always in enemies in game but I totally enjoyed all the fights and intrigue.

I don't know exactly how to mechanically change justices to make them 'more fun' other than perhaps make wanted less lethal (nerf dagnir, changes in thought 1, maybe make special guard weaker but let it dirt kick/bash/disarm?).

Thought 3:

Yes justice is the elo equilizer. Super easy to get rared and super easy to survive - it doesn't take much effort to get and keep amazing eq. It's harder to keep yourself entertained and interact with others in a meaningful way where they don't just think you're a lame duck that's there to ruin everybody's fun.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject:

I think its easy to make Justice more fun, just turn the traveler's rest into a police station. Then, on top of special guards, they will also have exceptional bouncers and several layers of guild guardians. Thinking of being able to "watch" (aka hoard inside) that palace ought to give any respectable Justice player a stiffy.

0 0 0
Citeros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject:

That's an oddly specific example you're giving out Xenyar, is there something in particular you need to get off your chest, since I'm here right now to listen?

Also, there's a massive trade off to being a Justice, and that is, I can't be a minotaur or fire giant for the wildly inappropriate strength boost I'd get. Best a lawful can do is a duergar or human with 21 strength.

Mad shout out to my boys Naugroth and Farusse, these guys keep me company all day, and without them, I'd go crazy from no one to talk to.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't talking about you specifically. But if the shoe fits, wear it. I've seen many Justice perch up in the shaman guildhall.. Popular camping for the law ground I suppose. You are just the most recent to do it.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Lionspyre> my point about the vendors that sell to criminals was in response to Xenyar's comment about being unable to appraise items specifically. I was saying with that point, if you can't appraise at those vendors while wanted, you *should* be able to.do so.

As for the edited part... The overall point I was trying to make is that dealing with subordinates who have broken laws is a downside of playing a Justice, and the perks are not great at higher ranks. It's incredibly easy to acquire a demotion or uninduction in Justice (I've also seen people fail to get in because they did not obey explicit orders), perhaps more so than any other cabal. If you're OCD like I am, Justice can be a good cabal to play, though if you're the type who doesn't always obey the letter of the law, it is too easy to fail.

Also, the thing about Ozaru's Justices... I forget which shadow got ganked by the Consortium and Kalist's character, but characters like that are the ones we need if we want Justice to be spicy. Ungar created conflict as well (though in his case I'd say for possibly the wrong reasons). A certain amount of conflict is fine so long as it doesn't get too toxic, anyway.

Last edited by BlackWidow on Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Citeros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject:

That's fine then, it just sounded like you had a specific encounter to offer up that opinion. Also, I've only been a Justice for a few months, but I'm not really familiar with anyone "preying on the weak" (pk'ing easy targets outside of town), in years? Maybe a necromancer justice did it in the last decade? Possibly an Ozaru thing? I couldn't offer any names as examples if you asked anyways. I just sit in the guild and answer the odd newbie channel question, unless there's something specific I find to go do. Definitely not a cabal for people lacking patience.

1 0 0
Andrael

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Citeros- The "preying on the weak" thing, I remember there being a drow dk justice, can't remember his name but had a custom title like 'the Dark Sentinel' or something who did that often. And when asked why they attacked them, the answer was if you want safety, stay in the towns. Kinda loved it. When I found out his roleplay, he was a pretty cool yet quiet guy.

0 0 0
BlackWidow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject:

Citeros> Tell me why exactly it's impossible to be a fire giant shaman in Justice? We had an evil half-elf recently...

0 0 0
Kornhole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject:

To Blackwidow, its a choatic thing, I think. Don't fire giants have to be chaotic?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: