Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 12 hours.

Weapon Enchanting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turningpoint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Weapon Enchanting

Make most/all weapons able to reach 7/7 again.

Instead of hitting a full stop at 5/5, or whatever number, could we instead reduce the success rate of said weapons to highly unlikely, but still POSSIBLE?

I this is too late to request, then no worries.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I didn't mean to make a whole new topic/thread for this.

- apologies

0 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject:

You can still get weapons to 7/7. And as you suggested it's highly unlikely.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:17 pm    Post subject:

what motivated this post? i cant think of any time in the last ten years when it seemed like hit/dam was too low

0 0 0
Ashlyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject:

The feeling of satisfaction from min/maxing is a thing. Not strictly necessary but it helps calm the OCD.

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject:

Turningpoint may be talking about the Seringale forge and Sorcery tower enchants...those only go to 5/5 now.

Invokers can still hit 7/7...and if you get extremely lucky, can go even further. Grayden, didn't you have character that got a crossbow close to 10 layers?

I totally agree with Ashlyn's last comment.

0 0 0
Mogu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:13 am    Post subject:

I haven't seen anything above 7/7 for 2+ years.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject:

well this is supposed to be a roleplaying game, i.e. an RPG... right? and with that should be an expectation of grinding, grinding and more grinding - you have to get two weapons and take turns enchanting them, and just go get a new one if you blow one up or the level becomes too high. I don't mind that those stores only go to 5/5, and I'm not sure I even understand why they were added. It used to be a warlord ability to sharpen a physical weapon since they weren't allowed to use invoker enchanted ones, and their "enchant" could not pass 5/5. Now they just use enchanted weapons. Everybody has a level 60 mob enchanter. It really doesnt make sense why we did that - invokers are out of an income from that shite. Its probably better if that stuff is limited or something else like the cost should increase with enchant potency or something.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject:

What motivated this post? I'm not sure how much has changed in the recent times, but quite while ago, when I was getting unique weapons enchanted, one of the Mystic Invokers (can't remember which) said IC that unique weapons can only reach 5/5, which I thought wasn't accurate.

Shortly after, on a different occasion, I went to the Tower to try to get a unique weapon enchanted and once I hit either 5/5 (or 5 on either hit or dam) it would say something like the weapon cannot be enhanced any further. I tested to see that if it was just a limitation to the tower by bringing it to either Foggledonk or Wylsyin can't remember, they communicated the same thing was happening to them. Mind you, at the time, this was a weapon that shortly beforehand I was able to get to 7/7 without that happening via the tower or by an invoker. This occurrence happened with at least one other weapon.

Recently, I went to the forge and yes I noticed a change to enchanting there, which I guess is something separate from the aforementioned, but that's what finally motivated me to make that my wish, since I didn't have any other requests.

I understand that there are some weapons that have "no enchant" flags,
which is not what I'm referring to at all here.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, maybe there was a temporary bug involved, but if not could we lay out exactly what changes have been made to enchanting in the last few years, with unique items included? Also, just in general it seems slightly more difficult to get anything enchanted past 5/5 than a long time ago.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Code:
Author: Davairus <abandonedrealms@gmail.com>
Date:   Sun Sep 18 02:27:59 2022 +0000

capped relic/medal enchant purchases at 5/5 ..players can still make things 7/7

0 0 0
Xenyar
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject:

If I recall, you capped those due to people running around with too easy to get 7/7 vuln weapons.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject:

I see that I capped it, I'm just wondering why we ever even got there in the first place though. This was a cabal power. We went from level 24 scrolls of enchant in the mage tower (4/4 if you're very lucky - and needing scrolls skill to even try it) to an absolute baller level 50 enchant weapon room. If it is not trivially easy to get 7/7 weapons then it is more special to actually have one. Literally there are fresh alternatives too. There is just go witch carve a weapon or two and put a finesse / power buff on something. There is favored weapons. Racial legacies. Uniques that have already pimp stats. Ask an invoker. And the high tower has other appealing things to do and see there besides handing out level 50 enchant weapons like candies.

Anyway its a tangent. This post seems to have come up because Foggledonk thinks he can't make 7/7 weapons. That is categorically false. An OP shop was curbstomped over a year ago. So just submit a different wish and/or a bug for foggeldonk if he can prove it.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject:

My main concern was with invokers not being able to achieve 7/7 on weapons, unless otherwise specified by the "no enchant" flag. If this isn't a thing, then I'm glad we could clear this up.

This was coming from a player who doesn't mind spending many hours or days trying to get top tier weapons to 6/6 or 7/7, I never meant to imply that it should be EASY.

Either way, thanks for giving this post some attention. It wasn't my intention to waste anyone's time.

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Here you go, this is for you.

https://abandonedrealms.com/logs/view_log.php?id=2312

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Apologies, I'm bad at communicating sometimes. By "if this isn't a thing" last comment, I meant if invokers CAN do 7/7 sometimes then that clears things up. Everything was all good here to me at this point.

I already knew that lower-level items could hit 7/7 by invokers. One of my characters had a 7/7 icicle recently, enchanted by an invoker.

On the log I can see many items that I had already assumed were 7/7 capable by invokers, but showcasing that unique flail at 7/7 was an effort that was much appreciated.

Just to be extra sure, you guys are telling me that even unique weapons with 30+ damage average (unless otherwise specified by the "no enchant" flag) can hit 7/7 by an invoker, although highly unlikely?

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Just to be extra sure, you guys are telling me that even unique weapons with 30+ damage average (unless otherwise specified by the "no enchant" flag) can (can STILL*) hit 7/7 by an invoker, although highly unlikely?

can still*

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Not trying to say 30+ damage average was a set rule or anything, but I was just using that as an example to specify as "top tier" or "end game" unique weapons.

I hope I'm getting better at communicating now! Very Happy

0 0 0
Dogran
Immortal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Invokers can still enchant any weapon that does not have the no enchant flag to 7/7 the likelihood of blowing it up is strong.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:24 am    Post subject:

post a new wish turningpoint. We're still coding the patch anyways.

0 0 0
turningpoint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject:

I didn't really have another request besides a few things that will likely not get considered.

- I think that we should find ways to promote character retention/longevity. I understand that making an impact on the game is truly the greatest reward, but what if we didn't limit it to this.

In Character (IC), to account for cumulative damages upon the body, we deduct CON along the way, which besides the character's legacy, makes them a depreciating asset. Yet, when somebody hits 1000 hours, odds are that they possess some sort of heroic or legendary status in game, however this is not being expressed or accounted for physically. By this time their reputation within the guild should also mean something. Performance, in game, by a small margin, should extend past whatever mastery the player has accrued OOC wise.

What if we created some milestones for players to achieve in order to express the aforementioned? At 500 hours you get to choose from three of the following: 1hit or 1dam; 10hp; 15mana; 20move; slight performance boost to a skill that has a low probability of being abused; create a hidden new skill for each guild that's not game changing per say, but only available at 500 hours; whatever else the Immortals see fit. The possibilities could be endless really.

1000 hours same thing, or option to add +1 max to a stat point of choice.

Before you knock the idea, just think of how many times you were disappointed over someone prematurely deleting a character you really liked. I bet this would have an impact, especially with certain player types. This could be a minor remedy for character stagnation and provide something further to strive for along the way. Thereby, extending the character's journey, potential for development, and their average shelf life.

The label could be something along the lines of having achieved heroic or legendary status within the guild/game with individual approval required by IMMs. Most, but not all should qualify. One stipulation could be to not spend 90% of all those hours as a notorious guild-sitter who is just waiting for their chance to cash in.

For reference, if you look at player age, nobody is at 1000 hours and only 5 people have hit 500+ hours.

Feel free to modify or fine tune this. Hopefully someone will want to take the ball and run with it.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Past Balance Patch Thread Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: