Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 12 hours.

An idea for Heralds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: An idea for Heralds

So the Heralds are the keepers of knowledge in Thera. The sages, scribes and storytellers. As such, don't you think that they should have a job to do that puts those abilities to use?

Here's the idea. If a new player comes onto AR and, during character creation says yes to the question "Are you new to Abandoned Realms or to mudding in general?" they get a flag next to their name that only the Heralds can see signaling them as a new player. Then it would be the job of the Heralds to personally help this player out and show him the ropes. It would allow for some 1 on 1 interaction between a somewhat experienced player and a newbie to learn the basics of how AR works.

Of course this flag would be visible only to Heralds as not to label them with a giant "Kill Me, I'm New!" sign on their back. This would be perfect for the Heralds both ICly and OOCly as it fits with their cabal RP-wise and as a non-aggresive cabal and in general Herald players are a bit more friendly, personable, and generally have good RPing habits as well, giving the new player a good first impression. When a Herald sees a new player he can politely send him tells asking him if he needs help, or approach him in person or whatever and just show him around. This is a much, much better way for a new player to learn the ropes than swimming in a sea of helpfiles. This would make the Herald's primary responsibility as a cabal to help new players. They would of course still keep all of their old responsibilities (not sure what those are since I havn't seen a Theran Mystique in a long time).

This flag may go away past level 35 or something, I'm not sure, that's up to debate.

Anyways, yeah, just to sum it up here's some of the pros and cons of this idea.

Pros-
+Helps newbies out in a much more effecient way than helpfiles or autohints possibly could.
+Creates a friendly environment for a new player that lets him feel like he's part of a community and makes it more likely for him to stay.
+Actually gives the Heralds a purpose in life. Right now they're pretty lacking.
+Fits in with Herald RP

Cons-
-Heralds aren't always the most experienced players on the mud (although any of them should know their way around enough to show a complete noob the very basics.)
-This extra attention might annoy some new players, so Heralds would have to be polite and lay off a person if they don't want the help.

Anyone like this idea?

0 0 0
Mr. Forgotten

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject:

And if there are no Heralds on at the time...?

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject:

I like it, but don't just limit it to Heralds. I havent seen a herald on in a whle (But granted I can't get on nearly so much as I used to), but If I was a newbie, I wouldn't get much help. Open it up to caballed charactors in general, or if you don't like that, then make it a responsability of the lesser (sub?) cabals, the deputies Heralds and nobles (does legion have one?)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject:

Maybe Heralds should be allowed to see Novice flags. Or do they already see them?

0 0 0
Saegen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject:

It could be kinda like how newbie chat is.. But a flag instead. If there were people like that around It would have been alot easier to learn for me. I just took to telling a question to someone with a color beside their name. Then Holy Patriarch of Healing, that was all that I really new would answer me. This would be a great idea, especially for Heralds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject:

Knights - Battle evil, protect valour
Warlords - Fight lots of challenges, enforce arena combat
Legion - Try to take over the world, dominate Darkhaven
Justice - Enforce laws in Seringale
Heralds - ... uh. Set reputations?

As you can see all the other guilds already have their jobs that need taken care of. Not Heralds. Where I was going with this is that helping out new players would become the Herald's primary task, along with writing the Mystique that I don't see anymore and writing poems and stories nobody reads. And by helping them out I don't mean answering questions on the newbie channel. I mean going out there and actually showing the new players around. Giving them a good start.

Other cabals are busy enough. It wouldn't help a newbie much if they were getting shown around by a Justice when he suddenly had to chase down a criminal. Nor would it fit in at all with a Legion's RP. Heralds are the only cabal where it fits in with their RP -and- is a non-aggresive and generally non-targetted cabal, and frankly, they need something to do. Also, I don't really like the idea of every person in Legion or Warlord knowing who all the noobs are. With a Herald, it doesn't bother me much.

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:

divsky wrote:

writing poems and stories nobody reads.

Nobody reads the poems? Shocked Crying or Very sad

Why not have both a flag and an extended newbie channel for the new ones, keep the flag only visable to those in the lesser cabals. Sometimes one on one interaction isn't always needed, it could be a simple question. Also some things that newbies might have trouble with would be OOC issues. I don't think that we should encourage them to break character through tells if they can help it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Mathewcaps

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject:

I like that idea. It would definatly make the Heralds a more important group. The Heralds could restict inducties to those who know a fair amout about the realms. The Mystique would just be something we would do when Novices were not in need of assistance. If the Heralds could not answer the question, then it would go to a lvl 51 and they could most likly handle the question from there. But it would reduce the amount of work for those imms out there, wich would give them more time for other tasks that help make AR a more enjoyable place.

0 0 0
theobserver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:
Knights - Battle evil, protect valour
Warlords - Fight lots of challenges, enforce arena combat
Legion - Try to take over the world, dominate Darkhaven
Justice - Enforce laws in Seringale
Heralds - ... uh. Set reputations?

Herald is'nt really considered a cabal anymore. More like an 'organization' along with nobles and justice debuties.

They are pretty good at helping newbies as it is and once a newbie notices a Herald helping them, they will continue to ask questions, new flag or no new flag.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject:

Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

No -- no one reads the poems.

0 0 0
Saegen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject:

Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

I love the poems, though I never got mine...[sighs}
hint, hint (Xazappith)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject:

Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

Ain't my fault I died before you did. Rolling Eyes If I remember right, it was to be written after death...? I could write it out...but there isn't really any way to get it published now, eh?

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject:

Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

Ain't my fault I died before you did. Rolling Eyes If I remember right, it was to be written after death...? I could write it out...but there isn't really any way to get it published now, eh?

I just think its cool when we get the pyramid thing going

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:

divsky wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

Exactly what I was thinking. Lets make it go on forever.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:

I have longed to make this a mortals thing instead of relying on 51s. Even discussed some skills for it with Lydana already. But the main stumbling block has and always will be that OOC would be necessary. I have been doing that with cabal chars to help newbies for 4+ years anyway though.

Jamus wrote:
divsky wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I have longed to make this a mortals thing instead of relying on 51s. Even discussed some skills for it with Lydana already. But the main stumbling block has and always will be that OOC would be necessary. I have been doing that with cabal chars to help newbies for 4+ years anyway though.

Jamus wrote:
divsky wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

I've gone OOC to help out newbies plenty of times before. And I'll do it again too. Just as long you explain to them the difference between OOC and IC and that this is a RP mud and you're making an exception so you can help them out, I personally don't see any problem with it.

0 0 0
Xazappith
Immortal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:

divsky wrote:
Davairus wrote:

Jamus wrote:
divsky wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

I've gone OOC to help out newbies plenty of times before. And I'll do it again too. Just as long you explain to them the difference between OOC and IC and that this is a RP mud and you're making an exception so you can help them out, I personally don't see any problem with it.

SO the only point of the flags would be for heralds to know who is really new (As oppposed to newbies who are only newbies because they haven't ranked up yet)? I'm still saying you should make it a lesser cabal only, or at least expand it beyond Heralds. I don't think there are enough on often enough to make this useful. And it could fit into rp if you think about it the proper way. Heralds-all about RP help newbs become better RPers. Deputies-All about helping justice enforce the laws-catch newbies when they're young and raise them into law abiding citizens, or try to at least. Nobles-Help newbs grow up into the light. I've gone out of my way to help and check back on a couple of newbs I've seen, and at least one I think has become a pretty decent member of the game. But I'm not a herald any more. Don't restrict.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:
Davairus wrote:

Jamus wrote:
divsky wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

SO the only point of the flags would be for heralds to know who is really new (As oppposed to newbies who are only newbies because they haven't ranked up yet)? I'm still saying you should make it a lesser cabal only, or at least expand it beyond Heralds. I don't think there are enough on often enough to make this useful. And it could fit into rp if you think about it the proper way. Heralds-all about RP help newbs become better RPers. Deputies-All about helping justice enforce the laws-catch newbies when they're young and raise them into law abiding citizens, or try to at least. Nobles-Help newbs grow up into the light. I've gone out of my way to help and check back on a couple of newbs I've seen, and at least one I think has become a pretty decent member of the game. But I'm not a herald any more. Don't restrict.

Are you guys having some kind of quote contest? Cuz if so, ..I'm game. Razz

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Amdorin wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:
Davairus wrote:

Jamus wrote:
divsky wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

Here's the scores so far: divsky -- 3+1(for starting), Xazappith -- 3, Me -- 3, Saegen -- 1, Dav -- 1, Amdorin -- 1.

0 0 0
divsky
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Jamus wrote:
Amdorin wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:
Davairus wrote:

Jamus wrote:
divsky wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
Saegen wrote:
Jamus wrote:
Xazappith wrote:
divsky wrote:

hint, hint (Xazappith)

Here's the scores so far: divsky -- 3+1(for starting), Xazappith -- 3, Me -- 3, Saegen -- 1, Dav -- 1, Amdorin -- 1.

If we keep doing this eventually it's gonna crash the internet or something

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Mocker's Tavern All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: