Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 4 days, 10 hours.

more rp, less pk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vncmetal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: more rp, less pk?

So its been how long since the Fell invasion? No real history has been made recently, its all been pk'ing and full loots and sacs and all that good stuff. But it just seems that its repeating, and that, I don't know, might get old sometime? Unless someone's working on it, in which case I don't mean to be a dick....

I'm not trying to be a remmenon, I'm just saying that the pk aspect of this roleplaying, playerkilling mud has overshadowed the rp.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: more rp, less pk?

vncmetal wrote:
So its been how long since the Fell invasion? No real history has been made recently, its all been pk'ing and full loots and sacs and all that good stuff.

Uh, the fells and abyssals weren't exactly "RP-oriented" themselves; those characters were for the most part just a bunch of hyped-up PK machines.

vncmetal wrote:
I'm not trying to be a remmenon, I'm just saying that the pk aspect of this roleplaying, playerkilling mud has overshadowed the rp.

From the abandonedrealms.com homepage:

"Your roleplaying is required here inside this competitive playerkilling environment."

Translation: PK-based game with RP required.

The key there is to realize that playerkilling is the first and foremost aspect of AR. Look at recent changes: law/deputy changes (PK), Nexus circles (travel = PK), Armageddon Sanctuary area (ranking/PK), disarm/shield disarm/etc. (PK), ranger weapon changes (PK), holy/unholy armor/etc. (PK), area changes in E. Thera (PK?), half-elven paladins (PK), carve/retreat/etc. (PK), berserk/double grip/etc. (PK)...

Then:

Background entry (RP), upgraded MOTD (eh, both?), dice gambling (RP/gold & equipment (which = PK)), pose command (RP), etc...

The point is, while RP is obviously encouraged and appreciated, the main emphasis of the mud is and always will be playerkilling, first and foremost. There are several channels by which to satisfy your RP thirst, and I'd invite you to personally explore more of them. Try to find an entirely original roleplaying perspective for a new character, preferably a caballed or moderately-active PKer, and combine the two aspects, even DURING PK attempts, and try to show others that it can be done and be done well.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject:

i think what the guy is saying is that he wants more events that justify mass killings instead of people killing each other for personal reasons. however, joining a cabal is one of the first reasons for justifying a pk.. he is just looking for larger events.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I guess you could be right. I just got thrown off by the "more rp, less pk" title and his "I'm just saying that the pk aspect of this roleplaying, playerkilling mud has overshadowed the rp" comment.

Seemed like he wanted what his thread title said: more rp, less pk. Though I do agree that more "RP-oriented PK events" (such as the Fell invasion having a backstory, etc.) would probably spice things up a bit more.

0 0 0
vncmetal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I guess thats what I was trying to say. A backstory going on other than the typical cabal vs. cabal stuff would be cool, especially for those of us not in a cabal.

0 0 0
Ronus
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject:

*cough* Pirates *cough*

My suggestion is to lead by example. Do like Sebryn said, start a new and unique character, get the ball rolling, get Heralds involved (great way to self-promote), and the rest comes naturally. "If you build it, they will come". Other than that, you can wait until Torkalen (the RP imm) to muster up some creativity for everyone to feed off of.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject:

I expect the religions code will help take care of "backstory for the common man". i.e. average rp. Just a matter of getting there. Which we will. Like Ronus said, until then, you can still start something average yourself, like pirates, and it'll work because there are plenty people who want to be a part of something like that (just not with the same drawbacks as cabals).

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject:

thing is, its hard to excite/motivate/ tell people to start up their own cool rp movement. players, especially newbies, don't take that initiative and instead expect/hope that imms can provide that (which we are more than happy to do depending on our time allowances). i guess imms too are quite often out of ideas or are not sitting around seriously thinking of new ways to excite people. i usually sit down and put in the time to think of new things to say/do with my morts, but an imm or imm group doing it would probably produce a different effect.

0 0 0
vncmetal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:

Well a starting a group is fine and dandy, and is a plan I've had for awhile, but as long as it doesn't show a special [TITLE] it won't gather any attention... not a problem I suppose. Just more persuasive talking and killing on my part then, eh?

0 0 0
Ronus
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Definately don't expect any special flags, tattoos, title changes, new area/cabal built for you, extra skill/spells, etc etc. You're really on your own here to create a name for yourself. However, you aren't without a few good promoting tools:
1) Heralds and their Mystique is a good way to get a lot of people to read what your group is about, its background and future purpose, possibly even recruitment info.
2) Use notes, send notes to your guildhall if you want like a "ninja clan" thing (this has been done many times in the past).
3) Play a lot. Play a lot. Play a lot. The more you are on, the more people will see you and what your group is up to. Make it to level 50, and do what you must to get your name out there.

Trust me, you don't need special titles or the IMM's to sponsor you publicly in order to get your word out. No one said it would be easy, but it is possible.

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject:

that will register with people who know how the dynamics of the game works and has been here for a while and have an idea on how to pull it off. newer players though want to be a part of something without putting in the same amount of effort by themselves (having someone else start something and catching the wave). but its not a bad thing, its an understandable part of being a newer player.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ask an Immortal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: