Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 5 hours.

Protected
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noliperus_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Protected

Am I the only one that thinks it should be in the helpfile that if you're protected any Legion can just gank your shit whenever they please? I know they're a bunch of evil bastards, but I think that's something that should be at least alluded to.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:

Recently reduced to carried gold only.

0 0 0
Remmenon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: THat's lame.

Comeon now, that's lame. If people are pussy enough to buy protection, they have to be totally subserviant to the Legion. Rare equipment has only a certain number so if these "Protected" peoples are rared out, and Legion can't kill them to get some goodies, then what's the point of being Legion. Here's an idea, If you buy protection and you see a Legionnaire around, stay the fuck out of his sight. I mean if you're so god damned afraid of getting killed by a Legionnaire that you have to buy protection, then you better damn well be afraid even while protected... because the only thing that's stopping them from pawning you is about X number of days until your protection runs out. I seriously think that should get changed back. You dumbasses that are protected, and think "Oh I know, I'll just group with a Legionnaire" and you got some good rare shit on you, you better think twice. If you're that hurting where you need to have protection, then You probably won't have any rare stuff and you're doing okay for yourself. Otherwise if you got rares and you buy protection you should gladly hand them over for a small price of not dying, cause if you had that shit and weren't protected then you'd die by them.

0 0 0
Remmenon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Remmenon

I think, if you're not going to change it back, in light of that change then since A Legionnaire can't take the equipment, then they should have the right to ask for it, and if the person doesn't hand it over, that Legionnaire can revoke their protection, and then get asswhooped.

But, On a good note, I think that extorting gold from them is a good idea. I just wish you could do both, Heh.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

The three flag model now goes like this -

JUSTICE : Protects all, even criminals, but Seringale only, requires lawman
KNIGHT: Protects all Valourians from all uncaballed (auto anathema for pk)
LEGION: Protects all who pony up from everyone (auto contract for pks)

I needed to weaken extort because it'll be more important to get protection, due to the anathema flag being more common. As you can see, uncaballed are drawn into the cabal conflicts simply by killing people from Valour town, whereas Darkhaven has no town limit but doesnt serve people in cabals (and it isnt free, and they can still extort gold).

0 0 0
Noliperus_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Aw balls...what'd I miss that change by 5 minutes? Razz

I think that Legion may need to calm down a bit. With the player base being so small it's hard enough to find a group to level with without some dick comming in every 15 minutes and screwing everything up. Is it really neccesary for you people to attack everybody on sight? Especially non-caballed people. We've got it bad enough being hung out to dry all on our own without some bloodythirsty Shaman shoving his mace up our ass.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Well I think it's funny. Legion were making a comeback and were getting to full force. Despite the gangbang and blah blah, when the changes came, all the other cabals filled up and teamed with non caballeds to jump Legion. So Legion was toned down and now lesser members (and less members at 50). So they tend to get the snot kicked out of them by everyone else. So now, Justice is getting more attention cuz they're kicking ass left and right.

Protected people are complaining about protection as if they should just pay 10k that Legionaires don't even get to use and think nothing should happen to them. If Noli had a problem with the terms, that he was aware of but took the "I can legitly complain since it's not in the helpfile" route, now extort is changed. It was said to be abused, but I don't know many (actually any) who did such a thing (just means I didn't see it). And there's no reason for a protected to be rared out, so when a Legionaire comes for an item or two, they can be upset or whatever, but they are the ones that bought protection. And it's not like they are left high and dry, it's more like a downgrade than just a jacking. And often enough you'd see protecteds with more rares than most depending on your favor with the Legionaire, cuz they'll need you later so why not equip you and if you are killed, unholy gangbang of doom the guy who did it?

I understand the fix because of the new flag updates, and that's all well and good cuz that will bring more reason to buy protection as uncaballeds get caught between cabal wars, but all a protected has to do now is carry around no (or next to no) gold and they are homefree. Unless a Legionaire decides to revoke protection because they aren't being compliant about getting them the money. (Which would result in another Noli type post of "that's not right or at least update the helpfire")

Quote:
I think that Legion may need to calm down a bit. With the player base being so

And to say that Legion needs to calm down a bit, hahah Legion is barely doing anything.

Quote:
Is it really neccesary for you people to attack everybody on sight? Especially non-caballed people.

This is a large part of the soreness in Legion's ass. Legion would rather deal with cabals than a gaggle of random non-caballeds joining up in however many numbers they wish because gank rules don't apply to them. A large part of that is individual Legionaires, some still around some gone, that ended up bringing aggression to the whole cabal, because a)they're dead now, or b)there's an easier target in the cabal.

Quote:
With the player base being so small it's hard enough to find a group to level with without some dick comming in every 15 minutes and screwing everything up

Tell that to Legionaires that have been rather active but still stuck in their ranks for having no one to group with. Legion automatically has enemies from all three alignments, so that cuts a large chunk of grouping potential for them. Neuts can just team up with any goody or evil, potentially enemies from two alignments unless they are assholes and piss off goodies. And goodies are everywhere for them to team up, only really have enemies from evils, unless there are asshole neuts running around.

Just wanted to lay out the perspective that I learned.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I have never seen a problem with it. Ive been using protection since like the 25th rank , not because im scared of Legion(im a liar) but because nobody attackes me in fear of being contracted it seems. the One person to attack me was Remmy but he cant track for shit lol , just kidding ya sidestepping bastard!!! Atleast thats been my thoughts on it ,, Ive been extored from but Ive offered it before it was taken . and anything im carrying is at Any Legions desposal , small price to pay to not be killed left and right to me. Kinda like nobals we should be thier pawns to be used anyway they deem fit. just think of it as a Seniors and Freshman , we are lucky they dont give us a freaking swirly and a wedge once aweek!!!

0 0 0
Noliperus_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tell that to Legionaires that have been rather active but still stuck in their ranks for having no one to group with.

Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for you there. That's what you get for being Legion. You knew what you were getting into when you applied.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Alright, on this thought of legionaires can extort you AND order you to give over stuff.. which if you refuse they can kill you for thereby breaking the contract. So basically, if Hyandu decides he doesn't like you and you give him money, he doesn't necessarily have to give you the beef you buy.. right?

When you get into Legion, you know what you are getting in to. If you want people to buy protection in the old fashioned way, (ie. Give me the eq I want or I will kill you), than you should go uncabaled. He bought protection... keyword "protection" from legionaires and he should have the right to be protected from something you do to other people anyway.

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Noliperus_ wrote:

Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for you there. That's what you get for being Legion. You knew what you were getting into when you applied.

Should have quoted the whole thing, I wasn't looking for sympathy. I explained how it was hard enough already, you tried to say "Legion slow down cuz pbase is low already so hard to rank", I was saying add what you said plus the rest of what I said in that paragraph.

And also you knew what you were getting into after you bought protection. Especially after being extort once or so before this latest attempt and complaining because you got attacked for not complying.

0 0 0
Jamus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: RE: THat's lame.

Remmenon wrote:
pawning

n00b.

0 0 0
Ronus
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Changing extort was a necessary change. It directly affects how many people purchase protection. Because no one wants to pay for protection AND get full extorted, might as well take your chances and fight to the death. Changing extort to gold only was my suggestion, and it makes perfect sense:

If you think of Legions as the new "Pirates", and think about how I ran Pirates, then you'll see clearly that Protection Money is exactly like my Parley with a few differences. With Parley, the money was paid directly to the Pirates, but the Parley lasted forever or until the protected broke the agreement and the Parley was revoked. I noticed this flaw in Parley when the entire Herald's cabal and many others purchased Parley quite cheaply. For a while it didn't bother me because I sitll had a certain amount of arrogance in thinking "fuck yeah, I own you, you bought Parley". But if you look closer, this was just a good way to weed out those who wanted to pk/fight vs. those who didn't. Getting cheap noob kills on Heralds isn't going to be much fun, so atleast this way I know who wants to fight or not. However, there was still the flaw of indefinite Parley. I changed the guidelines right before I was IMM'ed, so they were never released.

When Protection Money was implemented, it corrected the flaw in the duration. However, the money was never seen by Legionnaires unless the protected was killed and a contract was placed. So instead, Protection Money took a more evil-legion-like approach and included extort to allow the Legionnaire some benefits. But this just caused the problem of why anyone would want to pay to get full extorted instead of defending your things. The goal is to always try and force everyone into Protection because of the arrogance you feel when someone has to pay for you to not attack them. EQ comes and goes, and there will always be others to pk to get that eq.

The visible enemies of the Legion cabal are those who are CONTRACTED and those who refuse to buy Protection Money. If someone has already surrendered to us by buying protection, there is no reason for us to heavily prey on them. Hopefully this change makes buying protection a lot more attractive and practical to people, and you can think of the big picture like this:
- Who will buy Protection? The less skilled who don't want to get pk'ed.
- Whoever pk's the protected will get CONTRACTED
- The CONTRACTED will get gangbanged by skilled pk'ers as punishment
- Legions will get to gangbang (fun), make money (fun), increase pk record (fun)

0 0 0
Ronus
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Also. for those of you who are in Legion, or those who plan on joining, should realize that forcing people into Protection is not suppose to be used as a cheap RP reason to attack people. Your goal is seriously to make them buy protection so that you feel like god. Its not meant to be a cheap reason like "your good, i'm evil, we must fight". If buying protection means giving up all your eq, no one is going to consider buying it. So whenever you offer protection to someone, there has to be a certain amount of consideration on his part to buy it. If not, then its just a cheap one-liner that you feed people before you attack them - this is bad RP.

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Ronus wrote:
If you think of Legions as the new "Pirates", and think about how I ran Pirates

Oiga mano, que es esto sobre piratas? Creo que era antes de me reaparicion.

Oh, and in my ignorant opinion, I think the change is good. I'm not well informed about Legion politics and infrastructure, but it seemed to me that Legionnaires had a really tough time finding groupmates to help them to 50.

0 0 0
Noliperus_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And also you knew what you were getting into after you bought protection. Especially after being extort once or so before this latest attempt and complaining because you got attacked for not complying.

Uh, no I didn't. The helpfile didn't say anything about being able to have eq extorted from me. If I knew that I would have never gotten protection because it defeats the purpose.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

gee.. well if you read help protection it says see also "help protection money". try reading that one too.

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Paying for protection and than being forced to give up your items does the defeat the purpose, because it is a game. In real life, you value your life more than your car (for the most part), though someone like Clifton really shouldn't Twisted Evil . On the other hand, since equipment in AR is an integral part of the game, it really defeats the point to hand someone money only to have them demand equipment, more money, potions, etc... from you later on. If the ability to demand equipment from protectorates continued the name of it should be changed from buying 'protection' to buying 'revenge' because it is only useful if you get killed and the legionaire can succeed in killing the person who killed you.

0 0 0
Sethronu
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

the reason you guys are saying that is because legions are not allowed to gangbang. if legions were allowed to gangbang, you'd be buying protection in flocks regardless of whether you gave up a few pieces of eq. with no gangbanging rules in place, individuals are not that scary. they can be really good, but they are not SCARY. only once in a blue moon do you get individuals who are so fast they are scary, like Wryth.

Giving up eq to gain the backup of an entire cabal is a pretty good trade.

Personally I didn't want too many people to get protection because I rather liked the ability to attack them.

Someone once complained "I pay you to protect me!" when I extorted him under protection. To me protection didn't mean I am your hired bodyguard. I'd expect that from Justice maybe, if you had to pay for their services. To me i looked at protection as "you are now my plaything but I can't kill you." I figured they didn't pay me so that I could protect them, they paid me because it was better to be protected from me than not (so they'd have time to walk around and roleplay or do whatever it was that they liked to do). The choice was 100% up to them.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:

The rules of "revoke" are basically the laws of Legion.. so yeah, they can definitely have things like "Obey orders from Legions" in line with their domination slant if they want, since Legion had to force someone to buy it, it follows they can now force people to do more things. I think Ronus can handle generating that himself, but I'll look out for any stuff that's too abusive. As for the breach of protection though, personally I'd rather they just revoke (maybe placing only a vendetta from the Legion who's demand was ignored) & kill than use an extort. It was too much power.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: