Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 5 hours.

Idea to augment PK record system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Idea to augment PK record system

This is my proposal for a potential solution/remedy for the current PK record system disagreements.

What if, instead of the current system, there was another step during character creation that would allow you to "opt in" to have your PK record recorded and consequently published at deletion/condeath/denial? Here's what I would throw out as an idea:

- Your character's record would still exist whether you opt in or not, for whatever Immortal/Implementor purposes that would be needed.
- Your character would not be eligible to be included in end-of-month PK statistics unless you opt in.
- Your character would not be eligible for end-of-year PK statistics unless you opt in.
- Your character could not join a cabal (Justice, Warlord, Knight, Legion) unless you opt in, but could join organizations (Noble, Herald).

If you aren't eligible for inclusion in PK statistics, there's less motivation to trash. However, the problem that I see arising might be that people attempt to make "trash characters" that don't opt in on purpose, with the intention of multikilling, Herald killing or niche PKing. For that, I suggest the following:

- Immortal notification (and possibly intervention) for non-opted characters that incur moderate to severe PK penalties (possibly resulting in forced opt-in).
- Strict rules enforcement of multikill/PK rules.

I'm sure there's more that could be thrown into this, but I've laid the groundwork. It seems like people are griping about something that's been in existence for quite a while now, but they either don't seem to have a clear understanding of what's "not allowed" or they don't want to abide by those restrictions.

For those that are complaining of not being able to rank up to 50 in cabals due to constant interruption or lack of groups: there aren't THAT many people that are flagged and within your range at all times; you should be able to find a group, especially with 4 surges a week, that can help you out. Also, outside of cabal flags, you don't *have* to PK everybody within your range (even as a Legion). If you've been PKing pretty heavily at your non-50 rank, don't go for that next kill... find a group instead.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject:

Oh, and any critiques/alternate ideas/questions/comments/concerns/etc. are more than welcome. Post here.

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject:

I'm feeling a little slow today, but can you explain the specific advantages that your system (which looks good, I might add) has over the existing system? I can't detect them myself.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

- Those that feel that the current anti PK record-padding system is flawed can still play their characters and PK like normal, without the threat of being "watered down" when it comes time to delete/condie.

- It forces caballed/prestigious PK characters to be more selective in their PKs, instead of grinding out bodies on people 8 ranks below them.

- It allows newer players to either a) stay opted out while learning the ropes, or b) opt in to try and get a programmed count of their PKs, in an attempt to get better.

I'm sure there's more, but here are a couple of starters.

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject:

Vhrael wrote:
- Those that feel that the current anti PK record-padding system is flawed can still play their characters and PK like normal, without the threat of being "watered down" when it comes time to delete/condie.

- It forces caballed/prestigious PK characters to be more selective in their PKs, instead of grinding out bodies on people 8 ranks below them.

- It allows newer players to either a) stay opted out while learning the ropes, or b) opt in to try and get a programmed count of their PKs, in an attempt to get better.

I'm sure there's more, but here are a couple of starters.

Okay. I'm still trying to work this out in my head, so be patient with me. As for your first point, isn't the purpose of the system precisely to "water down" these players who, in "play[ing] their character and PK[ing] like normal," multi-kill, niche-pk, and Herald/Noble-kill? It's supposed to provide a disincentive for these players not to go around rampaging. True, those kills won't be recorded, but some do it just for the fun of it, like you mentioned, and I think that your suggestion for forestalling this motive (the "multikilling just for fun" motive), which involves IMM interference, is already in place even with the current system, isn't it?

As for the second point, aren't caballed characters already, according to the current system, prohibited from "grinding out bodies on people 8 ranks below them"?

I think the third point has some merit. I assume it's about protecting new players from the self-esteem crashes that attend pk records. But the converse point, to aid/encourage them in their pk habits "in an attempt to get better," is already a facet of the current system.

Anyways, I don't mean to be captious, just trying to clarify things. Maybe I'm missing a few things.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Isn't the purpose of the system precisely to "water down" these players who, in "play[ing] their character and PK[ing] like normal," multi-kill, niche-pk, and Herald/Noble-kill?

The point of the current system is to not reward players for getting sub-par PKs. It doesn't take much talent to multikill a noob, so you shouldn't get "PKer of the Year" accolades for doing so.

Quote:
It's supposed to provide a disincentive for these players not to go around rampaging.

Yes and no. The PKing isn't against the "rules" unless it violates PK rules. Simply killing a Herald isn't against the game rules, but it's not something that you're supposed to look to for how talented a character is in regards to PK ability.

Quote:
True, those kills won't be recorded, but some do it just for the fun of it, like you mentioned, and I think that your suggestion for forestalling this motive (the "multikilling just for fun" motive), which involves IMM interference, is already in place even with the current system, isn't it?

IMM interference in this regard will come into play for multikills if needed, since it's against the rules. I mainly put that part in just to reinforce the point.

Quote:
As for the second point, aren't caballed characters already, according to the current system, prohibited from "grinding out bodies on people 8 ranks below them"?

If they're in your PK range, what's to stop a rank 50 Legion shaman from repeatedly killing someone at rank 42? Granted they can't gangbang, but if they're trying to force someone into buying protection, I don't think there's any gameplay reason they couldn't hypothetically multikill (to an extent, of course).

Quote:
I think the third point has some merit. I assume it's about protecting new players from the self-esteem crashes that attend pk records. But the converse point, to aid/encourage them in their pk habits "in an attempt to get better," is already a facet of the current system.

Yes, to the first assumption. And what I mean by b) is this:

A newer player (not opted in) ranks up a bit, gets their ass handed to them repeatedly, and deletes/condies. They don't see a PK record, but they've gotten acclimated to the PK environment. On their next character (opted in), they get past 36 and start to get a better feel for PKing. When they condie/delete this time, they get an accurate record of their efficiency. They can then proceed further up the chain, rankwise and PK-wise, and keep tabs on their progress as a "skilled PKer" while allowing the anti-padding system to provide the non-biased facts, instead of the player including multikill/niche "fluff."

Does that explain it a bit better?

0 0 0
sissuris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: dont know how to quote

For those that are complaining of not being able to rank up to 50 in cabals due to constant interruption or lack of groups: there aren't THAT many people that are flagged and within your range at all times; you should be able to find a group, especially with 4 surges a week, that can help you out. Also, outside of cabal flags, you don't *have* to PK everybody within your range (even as a Legion). If you've been PKing pretty heavily at your non-50 rank, don't go for that next kill... find a group instead.

make a legion

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject:

Hmm. I had to admit that I still don't see how they're supposed to actually be an improvement over what we have now. I think I'm probably just too tired to fully understand your ideas. The imps can probably appreciate more fully your ideas.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

-Thread should be moved to battlefield since its an "idea". I'm feeling lazy.

1) I would be in favour of a bit more relaxed level quotas for evils, compared to neutrals and goods. The limits themselves are kinda irrelevant to me - I don't really care what they are - but I think evils boundaries with pk should be wider. I expect they're generous enough already that it doesn't matter.

2) I also think evil should be harder to play as to make up for those perks. Its definitely hard to sympathize with those guys on a levelling standpoint. Because they can rank super-fast on happy farmers, brownies, dryads, nymphs, shops, rangers, and then they gain TONS of gold on Solace... it turns out much easier to rank an evil to 50 than a neutral, and especially more profitable than a good. Ever tried ranking in the keep? Shadar?

3) This stuff looks complicated.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: