Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 6 days, 8 hours.

Idea for No-PK option (from "passive neutral" thre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grayden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Ok, common sense to the rescue, This mud is not really rp friendly. It is a pk mud and people who are not interested in pk and are more interested in rp will be going to diff muds.

Solution, I am sure I have said this before, We need a no pk option, somthing that would have to be opted to take before you reach level 10, and if you get a rare you would drop it with the "this item is too powerful for you" so no pk = no rares for you. Then people would stop being neutral to fail misirably to avoid fights.

Grayden Grim of the Bloody Fields of Flesh

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Grayden wrote:
Ok, common sense to the rescue, This mud is not really rp friendly. It is a pk mud and people who are not interested in pk and are more interested in rp will be going to diff muds.

Solution, I am sure I have said this before, We need a no pk option, somthing that would have to be opted to take before you reach level 10, and if you get a rare you would drop it with the "this item is too powerful for you" so no pk = no rares for you. Then people would stop being neutral to fail misirably to avoid fights.

Grayden Grim of the Bloody Fields of Flesh

Couple of questions/scenarios here...

1. You're in a fight, and you kill your target. "No-PK guy" walks in, does a 'get all corpse' (which drops the rares) and starts sacrificing all the rares, which pisses you off. You can't get any revenge on him. Possible solution? Don't allow looting for "no-PK" characters.

2. What would be the point of ranking a "no-PK" character? You can just as easily sit around and do nothing with a rank 1 character as you can with a rank 50. That might actually inspire something... heavy-RP characters in ranks 1-9... hmmm...

Just thinking.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject:

good points, so no looting from players, and not being able to sac stuff, and whatever other penalties you would see fit to attach to your no pk people. The point of ranking your rp person to a higher level is that wow look there is somone you can rank with who will not kill and rob you. The most important thing is I think it might increase the player base. You could help people find the rare items even if you could not use them, and I don't see level 9 people helping check on rare items.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Grayden wrote:
good points, so no looting from players, and not being able to sac stuff, and whatever other penalties you would see fit to attach to your no pk people. The point of ranking your rp person to a higher level is that wow look there is somone you can rank with who will not kill and rob you.

No offense, but this sounds sort of like watching your friend play 'Final Fantasy' and telling him where to go... not very entertaining to me.

Grayden wrote:
The most important thing is I think it might increase the player base. You could help people find the rare items even if you could not use them, and I don't see level 9 people helping check on rare items.

The playerbase might increase, but for the wrong reasons. We're starting to get a large influx of new players (thanks largely to everyone's great voting skillz), but I don't think that introducing them to a "watered-down" MUD will be as rewarding as it seems.

As for the rare items thing... they're supposed to be "rare." Not everybody has two heavy black dragonscale rings, or 'Khizarizia,' or a crested helm in the shape of a serpent. It wouldn't be the same game if everybody walked around with two Nimbuses of Power, and giving a roadmap for everyone to get such things will just weaken the playerbase even more.

I don't mean this at anyone in particular, but if you're not looking for at least partial PK in a MUD, I'd suggest looking for an RP forum on the internet.

0 0 0
Kessor Natul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Woot woot. What Vhrael said pretty much sums up what I think. PK is important:
Quote:
Abandoned Realms provides an arena for its players to roleplay and to player-kill, free of charge.

You destroy 50% of the game when you take out the player-killing part. I think the PK'ing is important... if not to be interesting, to make it more realistic....

0 0 0
Sethronu
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

How are we a no rp /rp unfriendly mud? just because we allow and encourage pk and rp ?

rp is only as good on a mud as the people who actually do it

you dont need rules to force you to rp, you need people who want to rp or at least to realize that its fun, and maybe punishment for those who break/disregard it

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

A no-pk flag isn't terribly necessary:

1) There are PK ranges for fairness
2) There's lots of pk help on the website
3) There is a Justice cabal enforcing Law in the main hometown

Last point about the Justice cabal is particularly nice. Its a solid cabal for any peaceful character to join.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Vhrael"]
As for the rare items thing... they're supposed to be "rare." Not everybody has two heavy black dragonscale rings, or 'Khizarizia,' or a crested helm in the shape of a serpent. It wouldn't be the same game if everybody walked around with two Nimbuses of Power, and giving a roadmap for everyone to get such things will just weaken the playerbase even more.
quote]

I have no idea where any of thoes items are, I am sure it is fun to abuse the experience you gained finding these items to smash new people in the realms, but really if you did not ever use any rares you would be a weaker person. I think next time you fight people in the game try using no rares, and see what a new person gets.

Grayden Grim of the Bloody fields of flesh

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Grayden wrote:
Vhrael wrote:

I have no idea where any of thoes items are, I am sure it is fun to abuse the experience you gained finding these items to smash new people in the realms, but really if you did not ever use any rares you would be a weaker person. I think next time you fight people in the game try using no rares, and see what a new person gets.

Actually there are several players that have characters which don't use *any* rares at all. Many feel that wearing excessive rares make you a target, so there are several people that already do it.

0 0 0
formalism

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Vhrael wrote:
Grayden wrote:
Vhrael wrote:

Actually there are several players that have characters which don't use *any* rares at all. Many feel that wearing excessive rares make you a target, so there are several people that already do it.

Indeed. And though this is an old example, does anybody remember William the human paladin? He rocked everybody's casbah with a non-rare set. (or if it was rare, I think he had cheap rares, like mithril).

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Wearing rares gives most people a good reason to attack you, its a little humdrum by now since the muds been open for nearly 10 years, but its fine. As opposed to .. not having one at all. Like was said in the other thread, doing your best to bury good pk reasons so you won't die (invincibility via game rules) doesn't stop the "senseless pk of newbies by dickheads" anyway, so you may want to reconsider that.

By the way, there's a flip side of a "passive neutral", and that's a fire giant. Fire giants kill because killing's fun. So there's no such thing as 100% immunity via game rules.

0 0 0
Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

As much as I absolutely hate dying over and over to someone who I've never met in the game before I hate even more so PK divided MUDs.

Within 30 seconds of playing a MUD if I see that you can choose to be PK or not, I will not give that MUD much more of my time. I find that MUDs must either be wholly PK or not; supporting otherwise divides the MUD and flaws the RP and gaming atmosphere.

You've section A comprised of players who love to PK and section B comprised of pacifists. How in the world does it make sense for some players to be susceptible to harm and others not for their entire gaming "life"? Furthermore (relating to the previous point), what sense does it make that player group B can kill MOBs but not other players when in reality (in game reality) we are all just living creatures governed by the same fundamental rules. It seems you'd have to break out of the bounds of even MUD reality to create a story line that would support such a thing.

Not to mention, it gives any player the right to talk as much trash as they want without any risk whatsoever.

I'm not totally averse however to choosing to be non-pk (via divine grace given by a quest or such) until something like level 20 if you choose that option, but beyond that it's just opening a venue for PITAs and a division of a well oiled machine. In other words, the problem with this game is not the PK, it's the people who participate in it. So don't fix the PK, fix the people.

And Vhrael, there are plenty of non-pk MUDs out there.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: