Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 6 hours.

Newbie's Guide to Levelling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Newbie's Guide to Levelling

This is already in the help section, I just figured I'd post it up here for criticism. Language is probably an issue again...

http://abandonedrealms.com/help/levelling.php

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

you fucked up with ranking places, theres alot more areas wich arent that crowded and provide quick exp;)

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Thats intentional, because if everybody knows the quiet ranking places, then they wont be quiet anymore. This was mentioned in the guide as well.

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Duh.

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Overall a good guide. Even I found something interesting in there.

Quote:
An example ratio of potions is: 1 beastie, 2 repulsion, 16 cures.

From my experience this is way off, unless you are an invoker or a necro.

More likely 1 beastie 4 rep 10 or even less cures. If you go with the suggested ratio you really have to be a tasking freak to afford all those cure potions and getting those all take too much time too.

Quote:
but in the early levels, remember, hitroll is your friend.

This one I found really interesting, because I always thought that hitroll had a reduced effect compared to damroll in PvsMob combat.

I have always tried to concentrate on AC/dam on lower ranks and then replace the AC with dam/hit as ranks allowed me to.

Quote:
Don't PK. I know, youre bored and you think its fun. But trust me, if you PK before 50 you are going to draw the attention of all the other retards that do that, nobody will want want to rank you, and you may not ever get there. You'll probably get PKed and delete, or PK too much and ruin your legacy.

Im not sure if suggesting not to PK at all before 50 is a good idea. Cause when they finally do reach 50 and try to PK there with no exp in PvP combat whatsoever they are going to get butchered even more.

0 0 0
Vhrael
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Adebaldi wrote:
Quote:
Don't PK. I know, youre bored and you think its fun. But trust me, if you PK before 50 you are going to draw the attention of all the other retards that do that, nobody will want want to rank you, and you may not ever get there. You'll probably get PKed and delete, or PK too much and ruin your legacy.

Im not sure if suggesting not to PK at all before 50 is a good idea. Cause when they finally do reach 50 and try to PK there with no exp in PvP combat whatsoever they are going to get butchered even more.

I think it was meant more as "don't try killing everything with a <PK> next to it. Whether the newbie's the initiator or the recipient, PK is going to happen before 50, but I think what the guide was referring to was more along the lines of "don't make everybody think you're PK-happy, because especially if you're an unskilled newb it's going to bite you in the ass."

0 0 0
m1co

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Damn, Adebaldi's avatar is giving me a hard-on!

0 0 0
Burzuk
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Adebaldi wrote:
Quote:
but in the early levels, remember, hitroll is your friend.

This one I found really interesting, because I always thought that hitroll had a reduced effect compared to damroll in PvsMob combat.

It's not that hitroll has a reduced effect against mobs per se, it's that mobs generally have fewer defenses than most PC's. Most mobs only have one defense, with some tougher ones with two. Compare that with PC's that can have 3 or even 4 defenses. Essentially, fighting mobs is like fighting PC spellcasters who have massive hp instead of casting spells.

That said, hitroll is more important than damroll at lower levels across the board (both PvP and PvM), due to issues like base hitroll scaling, level-based THAC0, lower PC skill proficiencies, and so on. (Hitting two or three decimates is better than one mutilate, even if the caps damage looks all impressive.) As various factors that affect your natural ability to connect improves with levels, damroll becomes more important for fighting mobs -- but PC fighter types also gain more and more defenses with levels, so hitroll remains crucial to beating the stacked defenses of other PC fighter types.

If you look carefully at experienced high-level fighters (such as Rigwarl), they tend to prioritize hitroll for fighting other fighter classes since they're generally going to way outdamage spellcasters anyway. That should indicate how important hitroll remains with levels. If anything, the emphasis for hitroll shifts from PvM to PvP combat as you level up, but both hitroll and damroll are hugely (and roughly equally) useful throughout the entire level range.

For best results in PvM combat though (i.e. leveling), it's hitroll early levels, damroll late levels. For PvP it doesn't really change by levels, i.e. it always depends on who you're fighting.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Newbie Q/A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: