Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 12 hours.

Quests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Quests

It bothers me that newbies, as people who do not know where to safely quest, are put at a disadvantage in that they have to spend far more time mastering skills than the more experienced players. It would seem that experienced players already have a huge reward for all the time they have put into the game, that being their knowledge of the system and better game skills which will allow them to be both more efficient at PvM (ranking, items, etc) AND PK'ing by far.

I was playing around with a new class (I am pretty new here) and a level 10 fighter type asked to group. I said yes, noticed his quest line which seemed to say he had done a lot. I asked him about it and he said he had 67 quests. So obviously being a newbie I'm stunned, not just as the number of quests but the level he did them all at. Then later on he mentions how his defenses and so on are already maxed. Well of course they are, skills must be a breeze with so many quests?

So.. as someone who knows like 7 quests, I decide I need to explore all over the game world and find as many quests as I can. Conveniently enough, I have a level 16-19 avian ninja (flight, vanish, lesser recalls), and use it to spend half a day going to every spot on the map where I'm not instantly killed, and searching every room as best I can to try to find quests. After hours and hours and hours of tedious searching, and hitting every room in the world to the best of my abillity, I end up with what in my opinion is a pretty impressive 43 total quests.

Obviously this tedious as hell exercise betters my world knowledge, but what other reason is there to keep this quests for skills approach? It only serves as another frustrating obstacle for newbies to overcome (if they are even aware of it at all, as if they arent there is a hidden penalty for newbies trying to train skills, in addition to simply what being a newbie means for how good they are in the game, which is really what is important), not to mention a big hassle for people in the know to hit all the quests with their new characters. Why, just.. why? Isn't there some other kind of reward people can have that isn't directly tied to game performance (skill gain)? Maybe some type of status symbol or something?

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Quests do not affect skill% increases as much any more. Their effect on training was greatly reduced in .... *drumroll* .... an attempt to be more newbie friendly!

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Quests

Slade wrote:
Well of course they are, skills must be a breeze with so many quests?

You have no idea, I have 72 quests it took me about four hours to master hand to hand, only 1 to get dagger up to 90%... It has to do with luck, and quests, also it's pretty much random. Luck is the biggest factor in the game, sort of like this...

Hp:608/608 M:212/391 Mv:290/304 Exp:22838 Gp:253 7pm city
***** steps out of the shadows.
You yell 'Help! ***** backstabbed me!'
You turn *****'s attack against him.
Your counter >>> ANNIHILATES <<< *****!
*****'s second backstab *** DEVASTATES *** you!
***** has quite a few wounds.

My counter is only at 79%, what are the chances of an unmastered skill doing such great damage like that, low so basically work your ass off mastering stuff and the rest will be slightly easier. You know how much easier it is to train with alot of skills, heres what I do I rank till about 9, do all the deathtrap quests then as soon as I get to higher levels I do the rest, I know of about 90 but have only done about 76 of them recently. Can't seem to find the waterfall in the dwarven catacombs... Oh by the way good job Viggs you almost had me. Twice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject:

Well some past implementor decided to tie quest amount in with skill improvement rate. He made the potential of this rate really good. There is also a reputation system, which he implemented, but the heralds are reluctant to give out because it gives characters damroll and luck and such. Before these problems, there were tattoos, but they would do stuff like +2 strength, huge luck boosts, etc.

So far, I managed to get around to making the rate of skill increase due to quest amounts very poor, although its not gone completely. I don't think I'm going to post the formulas here, but I will say that quantatively having all quests is maybe similar to the effect of having an extra point of int. Considering the time it takes to do all those quests, it will easily work out better to spend that time on pure training for defences and couple weapons, but if you're going to spam all skills to 100, you know, go quest first, and shave a few days off your 6 months spamming.

All 3 systems I mentioned (quest, reps, tattoo) are going to get a bit of overhaul and rest assured there's not going to be any benefits other than cosmetic ones in those. Of course the eternal question is "when?"

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
There is also a reputation system, which he implemented, but the heralds are reluctant to give out because it gives characters damroll and luck and such. Before these problems, there were tattoos, but they would do stuff like +2 strength, huge luck boosts, etc.

Reluctant???? Heralds have been forbidden by the immortals from truly giving out reputations. We'd love to give out reputations but get hollered at if we do. Send a note changing it and you'll see reputations being distributed.

Last edited by Clifton on Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
Flying Hampster of Doom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I have been playin ar for some time now and I can assure you I figured out almost all (almost) the quests I know on my own. As a newbie I know it can be difficult seeing some one as a master explorer, yet I know that it is possible to figure out most of the quests on your own if you listen to the mobs, read room descriptions and pay attention to your surroundings.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Uhm... Clif, you sure you don't mean 'Reputations'?

I sure as hell haven't seen myself or anybody else able to give out tats...

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I don't think I'm going to post the formulas here, but I will say that quantatively having all quests is maybe similar to the effect of having an extra point of int.

Going to have to do a 180 then because 1 int is nothing. Good to hear.. Think I'll just be happy with my 40 something quests and forget about it.

0 0 0
Dhampiri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Hrm

Whats the point of having quests in the game at all if they don't help you any besides when someone looks at you and knows you know the quests...which its not like its a well kept secret what the quests are, find them once and every character you've ever had knows where they are. Sure they help you a little, but who wants to waste their time? Role players? Yeah...right. What's the point of them honestly? To look pretty?

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject:

One possible advantage of them might be to allow first-time players of AR to explore quite a large variety of areas while they're learning where to go.

Think about all of the areas that quests cover... with a few exceptions, most of them are for people in the lower ranks... you can easily gain 70-80+ of them while still under rank 10 if you're careful and know where to go.

Just a thought.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject:

ahhhhh Damn stinking Dwarf! hehehe ,,,That freaking Counter HURT!!!!! had to run away and heal up and you know how much I hate to flee ,,,,,On the topic that is GREAT To know the quests dont matter as much now I wont waste my time finding more ..THough i do want the title after a Fair amount of traveling ,im at 59 hoping 60 is something different
One question though
Does the increase in traininin happen with every Quest or just when you get a new title of questor? know what I mean? things Ive wondered

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Heralds were never 'banned' from giving reputations. If memory serves, they were told to make sure it was BALANCED and there was a DAMNED GOOD REASON for people getting it. Last year, when every Knight had at least 2 reputations, and no one else did, that was pretty stupid. It has to be spread around, and not just on your OOC buddy, or same alignment.

If I recall, I found about 15 reputations among 4 knights all from Kalerin, so BLAME HIM!

Res

0 0 0
Avendin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject:

It was more like 6 or 7 among the top players in the cabals. Besides, after I realized they were hugely overpowered, I set up a system for them: if a Herald saw an action worth noting, they would report in a note to the cabal, and after x number of corresponding actions, reputation is put forward for that person and discussed, with the reputation pending on that discussion.

0 0 0
Clifton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Shit man, my understanding was, immies give out reps to mortals as reward for multi-bust. and some other funky shit that we couldn't do or else we'd get hollered at, but hey, if we can, all the more power to us. 100k a rep sounds good. They're always hounding us to make more money anyways.

0 0 0
Sebryn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Think about the definition of the word first...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=reputation

Dictionary.com wrote:
n 1: the state of being held in high esteem and honor [syn: repute] [ant: disrepute] 2: notoriety for some particular characteristic; "his reputation for promiscuity" 3: the general estimation that the public has for a person; "he acquired a reputation as an actor before he started writing"; "he was a person of bad report"

The reason I'm bringing this up is that people are always coming up to Sebryn or sending tells, asking for a reputation. It's not something that you gain, find or pay for; it's something that you're 'given,' something that you earn. Personally I think that with reputations it should be based on OTHER peoples' opinions of you, and not just one person's suggestion (to eliminate ooc suggesting of friends' characters, etc.).

Everybody has at least a 'vague' idea of the reputation other characters have. Camokathar was pretty much openly 'FEARED' for quite a while, but I'm not sure if he got the reputation or not. There are several other characters that I would definitely give my vote for certain Reputations to, but it shouldn't come from the Heralds' views... the Reputations affect the way your character is perceived throughout Thera, so the opinions of your character's personality should come from throughout Thera.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hrm

Dhampiri wrote:
Whats the point of having quests in the game at all if they don't help you any besides when someone looks at you and knows you know the quests...which its not like its a well kept secret what the quests are, find them once and every character you've ever had knows where they are. Sure they help you a little, but who wants to waste their time? Role players? Yeah...right. What's the point of them honestly? To look pretty?

Whats the point having descriptions at all? Its so that the game isn't completely hack n' slash, you dumbass.

0 0 0
Dhampiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Alright...

Quote:
Whats the point having descriptions at all? Its so that the game isn't completely hack n' slash, you dumbass.

I thought thats what role play is for? You know that thing that barely anyone does, and they certainly don't get anything extra for doing it...I believe I've seen more titles on players who can pk, than players who can role play. So quests are just so they have something to do other then log on and "hack n' slash" with other players hrm, ok. Thats all you had to say. You dumbass.

0 0 0
Rezakhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject:

So roleplay a quest, you tard. Make a healer and do only the quests that involve helping someone, or make a dark knight and only do quests that involve hurting someone. Just because most people do all of them just for the hell of it doesnt mean you have to.

0 0 0
Ashtes Mindstorm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hrm

Davairus wrote:

Oooh Big difference a description makes when it comes to hack and slash... Sure people look at you to see how your health looks before they slaughter you, but I have a feeling they dont stop to admire your hard thought up description. Not to mention care at all how many quests you have done, since it seems that quests still lack in effect if you havent ever found how to complete a quest without "OOPS i found one..." I have no clue how to actually find a quest, but I've only complete 8 sofar. and this isn't cause I'm Stupid, I didn't even know I was completing a quest, its cause you just hack slash and explore and it happens to be a quest... supposedly AR is all about fair gameplay.. when people who have all these quest, us "noobs" are at an unfair disadvantage because people can have 1 level 50 char, and have a new level 10 char, and put the level 10 char through all these quests... how fair can that be. sure they did all the hard work of exploring an what not, but if we new what was around everycorner.... I'm sure we'd have every quest listed in a few heart beats.

0 0 0
Seryie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject:

you can't expect to know everything about the game, and I know your description is very whacky, and yes I did call you stupid.If you don't know where the quests are go exploring and check questor often and when one comes up you'll know generally the area you got it in so you can get it next time..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: