Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 3 hours.

Dark Knight Strategies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:

Just cause you guys missed it the first two times:

Use some fucking cure wands/scrolls then.

Its a solution to more than just "dark-knight"..

Your invoker sucks?
Use some fucking cure wands/scrolls then.

Your thief sucks?
Use some fucking cure scrolls then.

Your ninja sucks?
Use some fucking cure scrolls then.

Everything you type about combat is probably ok. You can fudge that as badly as your opponent usually will. But this currently makes a massive difference because nobody is doing that. Its like purples vs no purples. If you want to beat people more easily who're supposed to "own" you, just start using it. Especially vs warriors, at least the non tick-whoring kind.

0 0 0
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject:

For thieves that their dirt kick just don't cut it get a potion or a special blend that will blind and throw that at them. If they don't have something to cure blindness or have purples than they will use all their purples trying to get a higher level potion off them. As for the chasing almost every class has something that will deplete moves faster so you just gotta stay close.

Fly scrolls it's just like a red bull if you got 1000 moves is doesn't mean you wont need wings. And the last I got is lure them by or close to a no exit they have a chance on falling into that room so you can spell up go in and fireball.

Use some skills and spells mix it up because asking people the "how to guide"
is just gonna give everyone else the inside to the strategy your trying to use don't be stupid be creative.

0 0 0
Slade
Emissary

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:

Thats a big part of why I barely ever seem to play scroll/stave/wand heavy classes. I can see getting a red and white every now and then. Going all out on the energy scrolls, flying scrolls, and more... thats just too tedious. And thats before cabal supplies and using medic scrolls and restore wands are factored in, which is even worse because its bigtime gold farming. If you play a class you need to use all of their abilities to compete properly, which means you kind of have an obligation to put in the large effort to gold farm or otherwise collect all those preps and use them at a good clip. I wish they could get rid of the healing cabal supplies, keep red and white, have a rare multi use scroll or two similar to it, and just find other ways to rebalance those classes instead of the expected gold farming and mega collecting. We've already got purps/defenders and other stuff (flying scrolls are probably legitimate to most). Too much with all the others on top.

0 0 0
Smotpoker

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject:

i dont think Dav is saying you need 30 restore wands/scrolls he is saying gather a few and when fighting they think he he is almost dead and forget to put sanc up and then the guy uses a couple wands and scrolls along with a purple to turn the tables on the other guy.

example: Bob has 200 max hp Fox has 300 max hp. Bob is a thief and fox is a warrior. fox is down to 140 hp and bob is down to 30 hp. bob runs and uses scrolls and wands along with a purple to get his health back to 200 and fox does not use a purple thinking this will be quick. Fox attacks and bob is in perfect condition. who is going to win?

i know that one sucked but I think this is what Dav is talking about.[/code]

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:

Healing cabal supplies is quite the opposite - its a piece of cake. Haven't you joined a cabal lately? Its like getting a free million gold coins. Even if your bank is empty, its quite easy for 3 level 50's to nail a surge - solace, grimforge, d'al kaddar. 400k turnover in 2 hours, put in a common vault so that the person who needs it can access it. Its actually kinda unfair from a caballed vs uncaballed point of view, coz the uncaballeds can't compete well with that kinda supply firepower. The disadvantage to cabal supplies isn't the cost. Its the problem of losing them when the item is captured. You might also consider needing to be level 50 first an issue, but mainly the dependency on them is what people are leaving themselves wide open for. You get people like pip saying he won't play an uncaballed because of purples, but eh, someone like me can join a cabal too, with a healer say. take his item to ruin his defenders, then rape at my leisure since they have no/few purples, and well, there's the Lothgar deaths in the graveyard stats to show it worked well enough recently. That's the weakness in them supplies. Not the gold cost.

Energy scrolls, ok, tedious, why? Just backstab a large elemental on your way to pick up magic dust. Don't a thief need that? Kill rulers to train skills and get vendor trash for the wild-item gambling. Its a perfect setup already, that you can take 2 seconds out of for an energy scroll. Nobody makes you camp/kill one thing over and over, those of us designing the game are trying to avoid that level of boredom by throwing other things to do around the areas. They aren't as good as red&whites, because we made it like that. We removed staves from ninjas and gave it to paladins. This is an important component of the class balance, which helps people pk because they know what kind of activity they can look for & disrupt.

On the subject of "tedium". Lets suppose, two people in different parts of the world want to go pk someone. Only they login at different hours. Do we want one of them to sit for two hours doing nothing? I don't think that's much fun. So we have these activities, like levelling, training skills, getting eq, purples, gambling random item, etc, all ways to pass time that eventually give an edge in the battle when it arrives. These are all things which a pker can look on as things to do in downtime that aren't a complete waste of time spent just sitting around. Some people play the game solely for some of those things. Gathering a few item scrolls to heal up is another thing to do with downtime, and the placement of them happens to be pretty convenient. So you can sit on AR on feed triggers with a warrior doing nothing, or if you'd rather be more busy, play a class with something more to do. It might not be for everyone.

0 0 0
Adebaldi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject:

From what I remember large elementals do not always have the energy scroll or at least they have some kind of repop problem, so that you had to kill all of them to get the one with the scroll to return, so it will probably take more than a 2-second-backstab.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

That happens to the lamia stones too, but that just means you kill everything once, and from then on it works fine.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

Dark knights can not use staves, (red and white, even cure light stave you can buy in Seringdale) but the energy scroll is easy enough to get. Use fireball at the right place and the scroll seems to come right back.(after repop) Also there is the manual of healing arts if your in scavenging Mahn-tor. No one seems to mention the potions that heal as well. I noticed a potion name was changed to wraith potion, and even certain green potions heal now. I have yet to find a wand that I like, but the search for healing is not impossible. I was wondering if Dark Knights could get cure light, or staves back? Just a thought.

Grayden Grim of the Bloody Fields of Flesh

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject:

I don't think it is right for me to just give you the lists of wands, but I can assure you, track them down, some of them are well worth the search, though limited. If you're after a truly "good" wand, check wands in "good" places... youre not going to find awesome stuff in the low levels or on trash mobs. I will even say that there's a chance there's some overpowered stuff out there. We have had to gimp wands on occassion when they turned up allowing drow shamans to slow themselves. But if its out there, you can use it. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
Matthais

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject:

Why do we still argue with Dav?

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> The Battlefield All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: