Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 7 hours.

Questing for advancement
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do I like this?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 31 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 35

Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Questing for advancement

After trying out a MMORPG recently, I was kinda surprised to find that they have zillions of quests just like AR's mudschool. I mean almost exactly the same, to the point I wondered if some researchers had logged in and copied it, or I'm just a simple quest-designing genius Razz . Incase you don't know what I'm talking about, here's how that goes:

- tame 5 snakes in the arena (kill them)
- kill the boss python
- visit a supply guy
- collect some loincloths from the ogres for him (ok that didnt happen, but I forgot what did, and some levelling mobs do have junk like that)
- etc

So when I put this in the game, what I was really doing was just throwing some extra exp on top of stuff I knew you'd already be doing to level solo. MMORPG's have taken this idea so much further, they basically just did this same thing to their entire worlds, for about 5000 quests. Max levels just get gold instead of exp.

My question to you is, would you like more of this kind of quest to go into AR? Vote, leave a reply if you want.

(Example: You are levelling in emerald. Lightwalkers - your guildmaster sends you to meet sir sorrow at 36, who advises you to destroy the hellhounds and devils huntsman, and finally their leader "devils lieutenant", a henchman of Xanthak. Evils - the guild recruits you to help clear the forest, as the devil huntsman pave the way forward for the witch wood replacement. Needless to say, most of the quests like this in emerald would be for evils, with a group of goods sometimes swinging in to try to get the quest, and hopefully ganked for their troubles)

Obviously circus-style quests are my favorite, but if you want this thrown on top of your levelling (i'm thinking of shooting for 5% of your exp coming from quests while levelling) I dont mind working on it for you. Hopefully I can make it a lot better than these factory-style mmorpgs are doing... no reason then for you to go anywhere. Ever. Twisted Evil

0 0 0
jaran
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a good idea, anything that spices up the pretty boring task of levelling after rank 40 gets my vote.

0 0 0
Accident-Prone

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:

I like it as long as it is directed towards the higher levels. Ranks 20+ I think is high enough to start with. This would make gaining ranks less mundane.

0 0 0
crazyhorse

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

I posted no, merely because I wouldnt want to go through the effort to actually do it. Dont get me wrong, I love the quests. But mostly because they are exploration based. A noob can come in and do a few quests and know where some shit is. And they are decent for xp, especially the noob tower quests. But to help while ranking? I wouldnt do them probably.

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a great idea.. for newbs. Maybe if you typed 'yes' to the question when making your char if you are new, then these quests would be available to you. I think that the newbs need more help with levelling than vets do, and therefore vets and experienced players should be made to do it the old fashioned way. And in case a vet types 'yes', there could be some sort of penalty for the 'new' system.. I'm not sure of what though.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I'd hit it for an exp boost.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I have used quests to gain a few ranks in my mid to late thirties when no one else is around to rank. I like the idea of more.

0 0 0
Mummy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I like it too. Ranking in thirties is soooooo boring. In forties, you have more options with killing, equipment, questing for those last ranks, etc, but thirties, you save your quests and go kill things that a) give you a little exp, or b) are hardish for your rank to kill.... So yeah, I think it's cool. Or maybe the quest should change depending on your rank. If you are rank 20, for example, the message would be to clear out dryads instead of the whole forest, etc. Just a thought. Go dav.

0 0 0
Vertas

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I like it, it gives more of a "storyline feel" to the game. Just make sure its consistant, if you'll notice wow does the same thing, but pretty much the storyline ends after more or less the first instance... And most time played really is in the later levels...fuck my room mate just beat me to the shower...some koolaid mix will teach him who's boss.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

0 0 0
Groq
Immortal

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I like it just because mullet said no. No but really I can't stand to rank with the pbase it's just very very difficult unless you get a friend to help or something so anything that helps ranking is pretty freakin sweet if you ask me.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject:

My only concern is that If there's more quests, that means you gotta do more to get that learning bonus for training. It's just like You got one big pizza pie and your just dicing it into smaller pieces.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I think if not just to spice things up, you should have no regrets adding quests to help thoes rank who do not have a group at the time. The player base is weaker then it used to be. I kinda blame the surges (and yet love them), they are like a doubble edged sword, but to help everyone rank and keep up the player base, I voted yes. Any effort on Davs part adds to the player base. Oh and while updating or making changes you could have that level 50 instant rank brawl day, Just make a date, and I will do everything I can to be there. Twisted Evil

Grayden Grim of the Bloody Fields of Flesh

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Oh but I do like quests, they're fun. I know a way though you could get around the whole "you need all the pieces to make the pie" for the learning bonus. You could just set it so that it takes X number of quests to get that bonus. Say like 30, maybe 40 quests. That way you don't need to do all 5000 to finally get the message "he has travelled alot"

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject:

The thing I like most about quests is the potential to rank alone from them. I try to save most of mine for level 45-50, when one or two levels will be the different between putting up a fight and getting completely raped. Part of the problem that AR has at the moment is too much idle time. If you're on AR and there's no one in group range, there's not much you can do. Go hit dryads or nymphs for 50 xp each for 10,000k. If you die, restart. It's not that appealing.

On the other hand, I'd be concerned about groups getting together to quest. If there are groups, they should go through nymphs and dryads and the like to level, because it's faster. This still upholds the interactive environment of AR. However, if you're on alone, and there's nothing to do, you should be able to run quests for some experience.

Summary
Groups questing = lowered exp/time spent
Single questing = decent exp/time spent
Groups ranking = best exp/time spent

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject:

I think clifton likes to play evils. Evil or Very Mad

Grayden Grim of the Bloody Fields of Flesh

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject:

While we wait for Burpzak to come off his throne and mingle with us little people and with the playerbase in a restructering phase I vote yes.
while your at it . can you reduce the adreniline nohidey gets me killedy thing? and introduce harder drugs and or prostitues ,. and well you know

0 0 0
Nakachi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I posted my earlier post in the morning and hadn't played yet. So after playing today, I take back what I said earlier and say yes to implementing this. Good idea.

0 0 0
Taleroth
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

This idea does sounds good for some players who have difficulties forming a hunting group to get their levels up.

It may sound appealing to new players as well should they rank up higher and realised there is no one to rank with . The quests implemented, most probably, make them move all over AR, exploring new places looking for new mobs to hunt as well?

An example of what I thought about a post mentioning dryads in emerald forest is as followed:

Maybe at level 30, you are asked to kill dryads by a quest npc. Maybe say around 20-40 of them which should be easy for a level 30. When they return back to the quest npc, they get additional experience.

Repeated Quests - Scenario A

DK 'A' is now level 40, he goes back to the same quest npc and decided to do the quest again. The number of dryads remains the same but it yield a lower experience than the first time he completed, when he returns to the quest npc.

Repeated Quest - Scenario B

DK 'A' is now level 40, he goes back to the same quest npc and decided to do the quest again. The number of dryads has an increment accordingly to his level and it will yield the same experience given in the first time he did the quest.

Maybe we should implement a few quests of the above mentioned scenario. This makes ranking up easier for those who solo or can't find a hunting party. There is also possibilities that most players will try to go solo even if there are enough to form a hunting parties for higher level mobs.

Or even we can have lots of quest npcs but they are only redoable after 24hours. This opens quite a few options to some players in my opinion. They can choose to do some of these quest while waiting for more players to appear for a hunt party.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of repeated quests.

0 0 0
Rem

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:

Oh actually, I had an idea. You know how you can do tasks for gold, it'd be like an exp task, where randomly you're given certain quests to do within a certain time limit, obviously you'd get to a point where you'll never see the same quest twice.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: