Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 5 hours.

New world of AR!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be happy if there would be a totally new, unique and a well-written world?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
noplz
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
I don't rlly give a rat's ass...
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Only if i can participate with teh buildingz11!!!
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Shughurd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: New world of AR!

Set up a builder port, after the summer is over and everyone is back in their apartments too afraid of the cold weather, we should get some people and totally, TOTALLY rebuild the map, all new zones, all non-stock and all fully original! Even if it takes for 6 months, it is worth it!
My points of view:

1) It will attract old players to come back as everything seems new and there's a lot to explore, learn and do for them.
2) It will attract people who have experiences with muds already, i mean, AR looks like yet another Rom mud, if you check the area list, it is yet another mud with 50% of stock areas. There needs to be something attracting for new players, i would never-ever choose AR over Carrion Fields if i would be a total n00b in both, as CF has a lot more depth it appeals new players instantly!
3) Abandoned Realms shouldn't mean that this place actually is abandoned...I mean you can revamp the damn map and move one zone from one place to another, but it's not really enough. Need to build and show something more unique than just combat module!
4) For RP mud, the MOST important is the atmosphere of the mud! You would get to create A LOT more appealing world if everything is specially written just for AR with the little AR touch included. Stock areas = the crap, seriously.
5) Heck, it wouldn't take longer than 6 months to build up up to 10-15 decent well-written areas.
6) Why do i insist playing muds after 10+ years with several MMO experience? I don't like to be forced to see the pixels what some designer drawed for me, i want to see things in my own way, use my own imagination. Good room descs in towns and whatever give that eerie feeling.
7) Think about the fun part of it!

The only shitty thing is that most ppl are so lazy that they just wont bother to learn the new places...

0 0 0
Amdorin

Location: No matter how much a failure, no life is worthless. You can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't it be cool if....

(Yes. Shut up, I am trolling. Razz)

I'm glad you are into the game enough to throw ideas. But from my past three trolls I've seen like 6 new threads from you saying the same thing above.

Quote:
Set up a builder port, after the summer is over and everyone is back in their apartments too afraid of the cold weather, we should get some people and totally, TOTALLY rebuild the map, all new zones, all non-stock and all fully original! Even if it takes for 6 months, it is worth it!

You must not realize that people have lives (yes even in the winter time), school has started again, aren't getting paid to build that game, and so on to really suggest this as if it's really that simple. On top of that "even if it takes 6 months blah", it's a game for personal enjoyment, so to say to create a completely new one...not so enjoyable unless programming is your thing. I'm not trying to be an ass and shut your idea down just to do it but you really have to think that kind of stuff out.

I also may be interpretting this the wrong way and you could be posting these out of sarcasm (could be your escape button btw). And I also realize that many believe that "if we just ignore the constant postings they'll stop", well I don't and need to address it.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject:

I spent a lot of time at the end of last year recoding objects so that we can create special kinds of doors and traps. e.g. you can pull a lever of some sort, and a door opens on the other side of an area for 5 seconds. Then you send a groupmate through the door, because you can't get there that fast. Things like that. Someday Resatimm is going to get his 50-60 things to do with that new code actually put into the game.

I think area-wise, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Wow that would actually make me start building again

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Its been finished for half a year..

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:

So ill build on paper, fax the maps to you, and you can go to town *cough*

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject:

Fine with me

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

Davairus wrote:
I spent a lot of time at the end of last year recoding objects so that we can create special kinds of doors and traps. e.g. you can pull a lever of some sort, and a door opens on the other side of an area for 5 seconds. Then you send a groupmate through the door, because you can't get there that fast. Things like that. Someday Resatimm is going to get his 50-60 things to do with that new code actually put into the game.

problem with that. if you cant pass door on it, then you could have a groupmate pull the lever and you run free, while the door closes on the attackers face, leaving him no way to get to you but run all the way around, at which point you've recalled and quit, or rested fully and turn the tables, via an unfair advantage. just my thoughts.

0 0 0
deauja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:

thanks for listening too us sorry if were negative sometimes just be patient with us. lots of changes, i still see alot of ar that i really like,
so much about this mud makes it the best mud, and so much about
this game makes it the best game, i find myself trying too play another
rpg or game and just dreaming of the live world of ar where i can say or do anything i please, and never know what to expect from folk. really i
think whatever happens im going too be here, just keep on listening
to our concerns and dont put up with any ones attitude dav, love deuaja.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Mandor wrote:
Davairus wrote:

problem with that. if you cant pass door on it, then you could have a groupmate pull the lever and you run free, while the door closes on the attackers face, leaving him no way to get to you but run all the way around, at which point you've recalled and quit, or rested fully and turn the tables, via an unfair advantage. just my thoughts.

Also I just recalled a reason we've been waiting on that is because we wanted to get you used to doing things like "pull boulder" to open doors first. Remember the trunk in elf valley? Newbs still don't get that. We should put a few of those sort of doors in before we start making them even more complex, but the code is already more than advanced enough for our needs. Like I said its up to Resatimm to get a list together, and then I guess someone with free time to program that in.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject:

No no no no

You PUSH boulders
PULL levers
etc etc etc

And the trick is, the SUB DESCRIPTIONS in the room will hold the clues. You look around and there is a big black boulder in the description. You look at the boulder and you see fresh scrapes around its base.

Now, obviously it is endless how complicated it can become.
PULL LEFT BIG TOE IN A TWISTING MANNER

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:

Yeah sure, well, ready to go whenever you are.

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

HAHA WTF! Resatimm played MUME:D ?

There's plenty of pull lever shit around there for group smobs, and need to push tons of boulders in Moria:D

Haha, copykat!

0 0 0
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

i was thinking in order to push it into a newb's head, instead of using a mob to say it or have them read something to know

what if there is a pull lever in the mud school and it just makes it appear on their screen as:

PULL the lever. Try it out: PULL LEVER!

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:

New mudschool (dunno if you seen it) def has plenty space for things like this. I would love to show it off in that place. But yeah.. I'm saying this because you get all those people that thought the boogum boulder had disappeared when I made "open down" fail, in favour of "open boulder" etc. And to throw push boulder on top.. well you can imagine. Like Res said, there needs to be clues in the room description, which in turn implies there's someone making those room descriptions worth reading.

0 0 0
Mandor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject:

then have newbie mode (i.e. 1-9 ranks) give them tips whenever they meet such locations.

if you walk onto the boogum boulder, it says:
check the room description for this, then examine that.

for the tree trunk, likewise.

I guess the point would be to get people in the habit of looking for clues when something isnt immediately obvious.

0 0 0
Resatimm
Takes the Cake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Who cares if the room descriptions arent worth reading, people will be FORCED to read them if they wanna find the secrets. Its perfect for quest areas, maybe instead of keys to get to Xanthak, you have to find the hidden button on a non-descript brick in the upper corridors of Dal Kadar... And the idea is, there is a timer on the passages, so when you walk into the room, it will be in the room exits list, until it closes.

Ive never heard of MUME, but the 100% custom mud i played years and years and years ago had all sorts of fun stuff like that.

I am afraid that if I start building, I will fall off the "Mud Wagon". Ive been addiction free for about 18 months now, and the last thing I need is to MUD again.........

0 0 0
marsd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject:

In favour of this 100%, now how long more do we have to keep this discussion up before we see a few of these "talks" in action? I remember we've been discussing about this in chat since before December last year too... Amount of creativity that can potentially spawn from this change is tremendous, on the builder's part that is... Not just the methods of looking for clues, but more of how the builder writes the descriptions.

0 0 0
Shughurd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject:

In order to get someone actually read the room desc, you need to use caps or colour or something catchy...just like Louis said!

PULL THE DAMN LEVER ALREADY YOU NEWB!

or

WOULD YOU STOP SCREWING AROUND AND PUSH THE DAMNED BOULDER?

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Its settled then. Shurgurd will write them.

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: