Forum Links 

Click to return to main page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
 Current Top Rated Killers 
 Next Event   Voting Links 

The event "Bad Blood - Gulgru vs Afales" is beginning in 5 days, 5 hours.

Halfling Constitution
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergorion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Halfling Constitution

I posted this in the Discrete Suggestions forum a while ago because I was afraid about getting flamed by Clifton or Pip, but now I've decided to open this up to the public ('cause the post didn't get validated).

I've just finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy and I’ve just finished playing a Halfling ranger. I had watched the movies before reading the books and remember thinking that hobbits, Frodo in particular, were wimps. Reading the books, however, showed me that hobbits are, in fact, quite the opposite of wimps. Therefore, I suggest that the constitution of halflings be raised to 22. I don't know if this has been tried before, but if it hasn't, I have several reasons why I think it should be tried now.

1) A quote from the book, "They are a remarkable race," said the Warden, nodding his head. "Very tough in the fibre, I deem.” (The Return of the King, pg. 150). This was in reference to Merry’s recovery from his blow to the most powerful Wringwraith of which he merely suffered the shadow and a very cold arm whereas the Lady Eowyn suffered the shadow and a broken arm.

2) One of the main perks to playing a Halfling has been the innate mastery of steal. Raising the constitution of Halflings, thereby increasing the ability of their shield block, would increase the amount of players who would play mostly Halfling warriors and a bit less Halfling rangers, for the increased constitution would not aid Halfling thieves with respect to shield blocking.

3) By raising the Halflings constitution to 22, the overall Halfling stat score would stand even at 100, which seems to be, with werebeasts and close enough for humans, a common overall stat score.

0 0 0
kento
Emissary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty certain halfling con used to be higher... Wis was higher too, but they changed it as well.

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Everyone goes through that phase sooner or later. "Please make the race/class that I'm playing better cause it really sucks ass." After playing a while you'll realise that you should've just gone human like everyone else.

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

There is another scene where he gets knocked senseless by a troll, and is only saved by some extremely tough mithril armor. So its not reasonable to go buffing their con to near dwarf levels. They just aren't that kind of tough.

Frodo's toughness against shadow (and the effects of the One ring) is represented in AR's halflings by the granted maledictive resistance.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject:

E-ant wrote:
Everyone goes through that phase sooner or later. "Please make the race/class that I'm playing better cause it really sucks ass." After playing a while you'll realise that you should've just gone human like everyone else.

QFT.

Quote:
1) A quote from the book, "They are a remarkable race," said the Warden, nodding his head. "Very tough in the fibre, I deem.” (The Return of the King, pg. 150). This was in reference to Merry’s recovery from his blow to the most powerful Wringwraith of which he merely suffered the shadow and a very cold arm whereas the Lady Eowyn suffered the shadow and a broken arm.

Oooh you're quoting fiction. good fucking job. Try quoting DnD if you're looking for credibility, not some dill hole's imagination in an imba book. Halfling > Black Rider, fuck that shit.

Quote:
2) One of the main perks to playing a Halfling has been the innate mastery of steal. Raising the constitution of Halflings, thereby increasing the ability of their shield block, would increase the amount of players who would play mostly Halfling warriors and a bit less Halfling rangers, for the increased constitution would not aid Halfling thieves with respect to shield blocking.

Bepodo and Rylek. Tits or gtfo.

Quote:
3) By raising the Halflings constitution to 22, the overall Halfling stat score would stand even at 100, which seems to be, with werebeasts and close enough for humans, a common overall stat score.

You know how I know you're a moron? 25 dex + 22 con. Man, you must be seriously fucking stupid to 1) not know what the dictionary definition of constitution is [General condition of the body, especially with reference to its liability to certain diseases.] and 2) to throw out this kind of bullshit suggestion without consideration of game balance.

22 is one less point than Storm Giant for fucks sake. You seriously mean to tell me, and the rest of the community, that a halfling even stands a chance against a mother fucking giant in a fist fight?

Seriously, do everyone a favor and stick to playing mystics and not thinking.

Thanks.

0 0 0
Esivole
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject:

I wonder if anyone ever seriously took the nice approach to explaining things.

though dav's explanation was rather affective.

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Oooh you're quoting fiction. good fucking job. Try quoting DnD if you're looking for credibility, not some dill holes imagination in an imba book.

Hmm. So, DnD is now real? Or did we fail to see the significance of Tolkiens novels upon modern fantasy and sci-fiction, especially when it comes to games based in a fantasy type world.

0 0 0
Xerties

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:

Clif, you're using far too many full words. I'd like to see you using more acronyms, you simply don't have enough of them.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

Location: your and you're are not the same. they're, there, and their are not the same. learn to english.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:

Faelon wrote:
Quote:
Oooh you're quoting fiction. good fucking job. Try quoting DnD if you're looking for credibility, not some dill holes imagination in an imba book.

Hmm. So, DnD is now real? Or did we fail to see the significance of Tolkiens novels upon modern fantasy and sci-fiction, especially when it comes to games based in a fantasy type world.

Well considering DnD is at least somewhat balanced in terms of different character types, I'd say that's a greater source than a fictional novel with some specific end goals. Would you care to disagree? Yes Tolkien made an impact on fantasy, that doesn't mean his characters are representative of their races. Do you mean to tell me that you honestly believe a halfling can stand up to the Treefolk, Orcs, or Wraiths in pvp combat? Because I seriously doubt that you can honestly believe that, thereby nullifying Tolkien as a source for PVP balance and con point distribution. On the other hand, DnD addresses race specific bonuses as well as class specific attribute points for balance in a PVE environment making it a more reliable source for redistrubution on Con points in the Halfling race of AR. I think I've refuted your counterpoint clearly enough.

0 0 0
_Clifton_
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:

deadzero wrote:
I wonder if anyone ever seriously took the nice approach to explaining things.

though dav's explanation was rather affective.

Original Poster wrote:
I posted this in the Discrete Suggestions forum a while ago because I was afraid about getting flamed by Clifton or Pip

If that's not begging to be flamed, I don't know what is.

0 0 0
Kedaleam
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject:

Xerties wrote:
Clif, you're using far too many full words. I'd like to see you using more acronyms, you simply don't have enough of them.

Haha... Sorry, made me giggle.

0 0 0
pip

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
22 is one less point than Storm Giant for fucks sake. You seriously mean to tell me, and the rest of the community, that a halfling even stands a chance against a mother fucking giant in a fist fight?

I think this would go more in the field of strength, not constitution. Are you sure you know the real definition?

Also, please don't try to decipher the topic for the "community" with your lack of intelligence and plain motive just to be a dick.

And for god sakes, quit using those fucking abbreviations, you make me ashamed to play AR.

0 0 0
Grayden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Dear Clifton,
It has come to my attention that DnD books being found in the reference section has confused you. I am glad to see you have a library card, but you might as well use any D20 system book if you think DnD is a standard for all fiction.

xoxo,
Grayden

0 0 0
Vanisse
Immortal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
DnD books being found in the reference section

they are? seriously?

you learn something new every day. *boggles quietly*

0 0 0
Faelon
Emissary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Clifton, good point. I agree with you. I simply thought your telling him to refer to a fictional novel and saying to steer clear of a fictional novel, was funny.

0 0 0
Viggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject:

I like pie

0 0 0
Davairus
Implementor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject:

I dont' think there is any mystery here - Ergorion is rather new to the realms and just forgot (or didn't notice) that halflings already have a pretty solid resistance to negative to represent what he was requesting. He put forward a suggestion that has a point, but the scope is too broad. It really does lie best in the resists/vulns of races, which are a hp bonus against some specific agent in mind.

Well, think about it. The hobbits resist the effects of the one ring, which makes them good at ringbearers. Humans just succumb to its urges, which is why they use otherwise-crappy hobbits for the task. You wouldnt think about backing Frodo in a fight against Aragorn. There are many times in the novel when the author showed this quite clearly, which includes Boromir (described deliberately as physically intimidating to Frodo) lusting for the ring, and also includes Frodo taking a stab from a shadow blade and resisting its magical effects. You will also notice that despite their resistance, hobbits will still suffer long-term affects from being ring bearers (Gollum and Bilbo). And you will also notice that when Bilbo/Frodo does some of the cooler stuff, people are generally amazed, and he gets respect from humans and weird looks from his townfolk. They dont just say "oh its because he is a hobbit". Their limits are well defined.

You might also see in the Lord of the Rings, the dwarves dont like swimming, and so in AR they have a vulnerability to water-based damage. The game is definitely inspired by the novel and takes many of its considerations into account.

On the other hand, you are not going to find a scene in the novel where hobbits just go into blind rage and beat the crap out of somebody. And we are not going to have halflings on AR with 1000 hp doing that. Giants are more suited for that and they have mental vulns. You can definitely pick a race that suits the playing style you had in mind.... duergar thief for combat finesse for instance, and like e-ant said humans are always a nice choice. Halflings are more like escape artists.

Last edited by Davairus on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:

Some odd censorship going on here...

0 0 0
Ergorion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject:

E-ant wrote:
Some odd censorship going on here...

If you're talking about my response to Clifton, I deleted that because I realized after the fact, that by responding with fire I was stooping down to Clifton's level, and I don't want to go down that low.

0 0 0
E-ant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject:

my bad then

0 0 0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Realms Forum Index -> Ideas and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: